Andersons days are Limited

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Andersons days are Limited
« Previous Page
lohmann
8/8/10 4:43:35PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Anderson will lose. He is overrated. Cant wait to see Vitor ruin this guys career and hopefully ends it.

So if Anderson Silva loses, despite having arguably the greatest resume in the history of the sport, "he was never good?"

This is the same stuff Fedor detractors pulled after he lost to Werdum.
telnights
8/8/10 4:56:29PM

Posted by the-king
im sorry but your wrong everywhere in this post

number one - i dont belive sonnen knew anderson was hurt if he did why wouldnt he work the body more

number two - what fight did u watch where silva did more damage he did next to nothing except on good standing elbow but cheal recovered and pounded some more after... (and u say silva was more active if sloppy armbars once a round count more than 4 mins and 45 seconds on gnp then yes )

number 3- cheal just used lay and pray thats a bold statment at best he was nailing anderson and wouldnt let up

sorry but a blind man could see anderson was being exposed...your right he won and it was an amazing feat of endurence heart and skill under pressure but silva did not let it happen they way u make it seem

#1 Your wrong about number #1 because even Chael in the post fight press conf said he felt that Anderson was hurt and said he thinks Anderson was being 100% honest when he said he was hurt.

#2 Silva did a lot of damage to Chael standing and off his back. Not to say Chael didn't do any to Anderson because he did and I think Chael won 4 rounds but to make it seam like Anderson did nothing is false.

#3 I agree Chael wasn't laying and praying but at some points he was just throwing arm punches to keep it from being stood up. Chael basically even said this in the post fight press conf.

Chael fought a good fight but came up short in the end.
chickmagnet
8/8/10 5:22:51PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by chickmagnet

Anderson will lose. He is overrated. Cant wait to see Vitor ruin this guys career and hopefully ends it.

So if Anderson Silva loses, despite having arguably the greatest resume in the history of the sport, "he was never good?"

No I respect his skills, I just lost alot of respect after the Maia fight and havent gained it back because Chael wrecked him. And for now yeah he might have the best resume but if GSP beats Kos theres no doubt hes number 1 p4p. Most of the guys who Anderson destroyed have been beat worse by lesser guys. In my opinion the only top level guy he has faced is Chael Sonnen.

James Irvin was stopped by Pokrajac and Sakara

Griffin has been brutally stopped by Jardine and Rashad

Hendo was dominated by Shields

Maia, has 0 stand up game

Leites.....no comment

Lutter....no comment

Franklin, beat by Vitor very very easily

Cote, subbed by Belcher

I think Shogun would kill Silva, Rashad would wrestle him and not get subbed, Rampage would KO him, Belfort would KO him. Anderson is the "best" but he hasnt fought these guys to prove he is the best. If he beats Belfort, then hes the best and I'll give him that respect but I wouldnt put my coins on it.

lohmann
8/8/10 5:55:22PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by lohmann

Posted by chickmagnet

No I respect his skills, I just lost alot of respect after the Maia fight and havent gained it back because Chael wrecked him. And for now yeah he might have the best resume but if GSP beats Kos theres no doubt hes number 1 p4p. Most of the guys who Anderson destroyed have been beat worse by lesser guys. In my opinion the only top level guy he has faced is Chael Sonnen.

James Irvin was stopped by Pokrajac and Sakara

Griffin has been brutally stopped by Jardine and Rashad

Hendo was dominated by Shields

Maia, has 0 stand up game

Leites.....no comment

Lutter....no comment

Franklin, beat by Vitor very very easily

Cote, subbed by Belcher

I think Shogun would kill Silva, Rashad would wrestle him and not get subbed, Rampage would KO him, Belfort would KO him. Anderson is the "best" but he hasnt fought these guys to prove he is the best. If he beats Belfort, then hes the best and I'll give him that respect but I wouldnt put my coins on it.

Silva's been ranked #1 at two different weight classes during his career, and has been the #1 middleweight in the world since 2006. Just because the middleweight division has ranking shuffles monthly doesn't make his accomplishments any less astounding.

I find it very difficult to move a fighter down rankings after he wins a fight. This is no exception.

Also, I find it hard to argue with somebody that calls into question wins over Henderson, Griffin, and Franklin as well as dismisses Maia (who beat Sonnen handily) because he can't strike well. All those fighters are "top level," especially at the time they fought Anderson Silva.
Jackelope
8/8/10 5:58:32PM

Posted by lohmann

Silva's been ranked #1 at two different weight classes during his career

What are you referring to here? I don't recall Anderson being ranked #1 in two divisions ever
Boo_Radley21
8/8/10 6:05:43PM
He's still gonna hold the belt for at least a couple more fights, unless he fights Belfort. I'm sorry I gotta give the guy the nod he has been one of my favourites ever since that beating he put on Tank Abbott (Y) Tank was one of my favourites too at the time still is
lohmann
8/8/10 6:09:03PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by lohmann

What are you referring to here? I don't recall Anderson being ranked #1 in two divisions ever

He was arguably the #1 welterweight in the world for a short while after he defeated Sakurai for the Shooto title (which was a major championship at the time). Sakurai was 18-0 at the time and considered by many the best fighter in the world.

It would have been interesting if the Shooto champion vs. UFC champion actually occurred way back in 2003.

I know Sherdog forums are awful to go into sometimes, but here's an interesting historical perspective on MMA rankings: history
ncordless
8/8/10 6:14:44PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by lohmann

Back in 2001 he was probably the number 1 WW for a while following his win over Mach Sakurai in Shooto. Hughes had just lost to Landi-Jons and Hallman ( for the 2nd time) and hadn't really developed yet, Pat Militch had just been beaten by Carlos Newton, who had just lost to Dave Menne.

This is right in the beginning of the WW, and there were hardly any rankings, but if there had been, Anderson would have been #1 for a while in 2001.

I assume that is what he is talking about. The Dark Ages. Crazy to think about when Mach was considered one of the top p4p.
KingCmb
8/8/10 6:16:55PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by the-king

number one - i dont belive sonnen knew anderson was hurt if he did why wouldnt he work the body more

number two - what fight did u watch where silva did more damage he did next to nothing except on good standing elbow but cheal recovered and pounded some more after... (and u say silva was more active if sloppy armbars once a round count more than 4 mins and 45 seconds on gnp then yes )

number 3- cheal just used lay and pray thats a bold statment at best he was nailing anderson and wouldnt let up

sorry but a blind man could see anderson was being exposed...your right he won and it was an amazing feat of endurence heart and skill under pressure but silva did not let it happen they way u make it seem

#1 Your wrong about number #1 because even Chael in the post fight press conf said he felt that Anderson was hurt and said he thinks Anderson was being 100% honest when he said he was hurt.

#2 Silva did a lot of damage to Chael standing and off his back. Not to say Chael didn't do any to Anderson because he did and I think Chael won 4 rounds but to make it seam like Anderson did nothing is false.

#3 I agree Chael wasn't laying and praying but at some points he was just throwing arm punches to keep it from being stood up. Chael basically even said this in the post fight press conf.

you miss understand my freind

1- the post i was quoting had made it seem as though chael had been told anderson was hurt before the fight now do i think andersons lying god no but on the same page i hate excuses no matter what legit or not anderson thought he could fight and win or he woulda pulled out

2- your right silva did do some damage of his back and a little standing and my fault for exagerating that as next to nothing but again the post i quoted was stupid for even trying to say anderson did far more damage then cheal on this point i will not bend

3-once again my freind you dont understand what i said i never implied chael dropped bombs the whole time and your right some where just to keep postion but the joke of a post i quoted had said chael did nothing but lay and pray and thats just typical silva fan b.s trying to take away from sonnens performance

everything you said is correct but so was what i had but i did exagerrate a little to mske my point
ncordless
8/8/10 6:26:36PM

Posted by the-king

Posted by telnights

Posted by the-king

1- the post i was quoting had made it seem as though chael had been told anderson was hurt before the fight now do i think andersons lying god no but on the same page i hate excuses no matter what legit or not anderson thought he could fight and win or he woulda pulled out

2- your right silva did do some damage of his back and a little standing and my fault for exagerating that as next to nothing but again the post i quoted was stupid for even trying to say anderson did far more damage then cheal on this point i will not bend

3-once again my freind you dont understand what i said i never implied chael dropped bombs the whole time and your right some where just to keep postion but the joke of a post i quoted had said chael did nothing but lay and pray and thats just typical silva fan b.s trying to take away from sonnens performance

everything you said is correct but so was what i had but i did exagerrate a little to mske my point

1- He did know beforehand. Chael was apparently informed that the fight might not happen because Silva was injured.
2&3- I get that you were just countering a silly argument, but by exagerating your argument became just as silly. These two extreme arguments on either side of the issue miss the mark. both fighters did incredible things last night. Sonnen was easily winning every round until he got submitted. Silva never lost his cool under pressure and pulled off one of the greatest comebacks in mma history. Everyone trying to dismiss one of them in favor of the other is wrong. Both fighters should be given praise for their performance. Anybody upset with a fight like that either is blinded by nutthuggery for one of the two, or just doesn't get what makes mma great.
KingCmb
8/8/10 6:37:19PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by the-king

Posted by telnights

Posted by the-king
he

1- He did know beforehand. Chael was apparently informed that the fight might not happen because Silva was injured.
2&3- I get that you were just countering a silly argument, but by exagerating your argument became just as silly. These two extreme arguments on either side of the issue miss the mark. both fighters did incredible things last night. Sonnen was easily winning every round until he got submitted. Silva never lost his cool under pressure and pulled off one of the greatest comebacks in mma history. Everyone trying to dismiss one of them in favor of the other is wrong. Both fighters should be given praise for their performance. Anybody upset with a fight like that either is blinded by nutthuggery for one of the two, or just doesn't get what makes mma great.

i heard nothing on him being told before hand if this is true im sorry for my coment tn again silva could have pulled out

and i disagree that my argument became as silly i did say silva did next to nothing and that was wrong but the comment it was in response to was imo worse

and dont call me a nuthugger because you missed the mark on what i said again i gave and still to this second give silva nothing but props for all he did during the fight i know what makes a good fight in my post i credited silva im not an anderson hater or a cheal lover but the claim than anderson was hurt and not trying is the only reason cheal could lay and pray for as long as he did is ignorant
tepid55
8/8/10 6:37:31PM
Anderson proved that if you're a wrestler with little-to-no submission defense, he will eventualy catch you.
SpiderSilva
8/8/10 7:58:59PM
that should end the foolishness in this thread
Playground_Samurai
8/8/10 9:06:18PM

Posted by chickmagnet
He is overrated.

Jackelope
8/8/10 9:37:18PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by lohmann

He was arguably the #1 welterweight in the world for a short while after he defeated Sakurai for the Shooto title (which was a major championship at the time). Sakurai was 18-0 at the time and considered by many the best fighter in the world.

It would have been interesting if the Shooto champion vs. UFC champion actually occurred way back in 2003.

I know Sherdog forums are awful to go into sometimes, but here's an interesting historical perspective on MMA rankings: history

Ahh, ok. That's reaching back for sure haha
BustedKnuckle
8/11/10 5:48:09PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by seanfu

You forgot to mention the part where Vitor's Striking is not close to Anderson's. Oh, and also that his BJJ is not superior. WAR Vitor!!!!!!!!! your one performance at catchweight where you knocked out Rich Franklin who is known for lacking power has shown us that you are ready for Anderson Silva!

Yeah well, would a good striker get buckled by Chael Sonnen? Rewatch the fight and tell me you actually think Vitor wouldnt beat Silva. I dont buy into the Silva hype anymore.

It's called gamplanning. For sure Silva's defense will be a bit tighter against a striker of Vitors caliber. Not in a million years did Anderson figure Chael would wade in throwing bombs. You could tell all Anderson was looking for was the TD
bjj1605
8/12/10 1:09:45AM

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by seanfu

You forgot to mention the part where Vitor's Striking is not close to Anderson's. Oh, and also that his BJJ is not superior. WAR Vitor!!!!!!!!! your one performance at catchweight where you knocked out Rich Franklin who is known for lacking power has shown us that you are ready for Anderson Silva!

Yeah well, would a good striker get buckled by Chael Sonnen? Rewatch the fight and tell me you actually think Vitor wouldnt beat Silva. I dont buy into the Silva hype anymore.

It's called gamplanning. For sure Silva's defense will be a bit tighter against a striker of Vitors caliber. Not in a million years did Anderson figure Chael would wade in throwing bombs. You could tell all Anderson was looking for was the TD

silva had no respect for his striking. he got hurt. that and the rib injury contributed to chael's ability to get the takedown (and his growing confidence). early on andreson stopped the takedowns and even got one of his own.
AchillesHeel
8/12/10 9:54:50AM

Posted by tepid55

Anderson proved that if you're a wrestler with little-to-no submission defense, he will eventualy catch you.

Ugh.

Take a gander at this list, for a moment:

- Demian Maia
- Paulo Filho
- Jeremy Horn
- Renato Sobral

Those are the four fighters - four - to defeat Chael Sonnen with a submission in the last seven years. That's 28 fights. Those four fighters have 91 out of 154 victories by submission. That's 59%, or a .591 average, if you prefer. Maia and Filho are Top-10 Middleweights known - by almost everybody - for being dangerous submission fighters, even by the standard of top-level MMA*. Did you see Maia's submission of Sonnen? It was one of the best I've ever seen, and I think I've watched more than 1,000 pro fights by now.

Here's another list:

- Nate Marquardt
- Dan Miller
- Alexei Oleinik
- Tim Credeur
- Trevor Prangley

Those five guys have 62 out of 101 wins by submission. That's 61%, or .614. Those guys were unable to submit Chael "no sub defense" Sonnen. A few of them were unable to do much of anything at all to him, in fact. You could add Filho's name to this list too, if you wanted, since he and Sonnen split a two-fight series.

Chael Sonnen has very good submission defense and Anderson Silva has very good jiu-jitsu (something else a lot of us knew already).

* Actually, they're both accomplished in jiu-jitsu and submission grappling too. They both placed 2nd in CBJJ competitions, and Maia is a former ADCC champion.
Pages: 1 [2]