Andersons days are Limited

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Andersons days are Limited
Next Page »
chickmagnet
8/8/10 3:53:27AM
After watching Chael Sonnen absolutely have his WAY with the "p4p" best, and rocking him on the feet and beating him up, all the mystique is fading. I believe he got lucky, sure he won the competition but he got mauled in the fight.

Vitor Belfort, will KO Anderson Silva. Chael had him badly hurt on the feet in round 1, and Im not bought on Anderson being this invincible superhuman.

Bottom line, cant wait to see Belfort with his hand raised with Anderson suckin dust off the canvas.

also Chael Sonnen is awesome and backed up the trash talk by smashing Andersons head.
Rabi
8/8/10 3:56:44AM
Id like to see Sonne be given and instant rematch. He made that fight what it was.

Silva cant dance from his back.
seanfu
8/8/10 3:58:05AM
You forgot to mention the part where Vitor's Striking is not close to Anderson's. Oh, and also that his BJJ is not superior. WAR Vitor!!!!!!!!! your one performance at catchweight where you knocked out Rich Franklin who is known for lacking power has shown us that you are ready for Anderson Silva!
RearNakedJoke
8/8/10 4:10:25AM
Chael was definitely "swinging the hammer" tonite! I dont think Anderson's days are numbered, but he certainly got a wake up call tonite. Hopefully, from here on he comes to fight and not to dance and make a fool of himself and his opponents.

Chael landed more strikes in this fight than Silva has been hit with in his previous 11 fights. I consider the trash talk backed up (minus the taking the belt part)
lohmann
8/8/10 4:25:24AM
Fighters get old eventually. Anderson Silva's arguably the greatest mixed martial artist in the short's brief history, and I don't think losing his next fight after such a remarkable run would end that.

Belfort probably won't beat Silva. He's a lot more predictable than a guy that threatens to take down Silva and exploit his weaknesses off his back. He'll counterstrike, and that's a realm Anderson is a lot more comfortable with.

Did you see the part where Anderson Silva didn't get knocked out by an insane Chael Sonnen and didn't seem to melt under the pressure of some pretty effective GNP for a few rounds?
chickmagnet
8/8/10 4:26:09AM

Posted by seanfu

You forgot to mention the part where Vitor's Striking is not close to Anderson's. Oh, and also that his BJJ is not superior. WAR Vitor!!!!!!!!! your one performance at catchweight where you knocked out Rich Franklin who is known for lacking power has shown us that you are ready for Anderson Silva!

Yeah well, would a good striker get buckled by Chael Sonnen? Rewatch the fight and tell me you actually think Vitor wouldnt beat Silva. I dont buy into the Silva hype anymore.
chickmagnet
8/8/10 4:28:08AM

Posted by lohmann

Fighters get old eventually. Anderson Silva's arguably the greatest mixed martial artist in the short's brief history, and I don't think losing his next fight after such a remarkable run would end that.

Belfort probably won't beat Silva. He's a lot more predictable than a guy that threatens to take down Silva and exploit his weaknesses off his back. He'll counterstrike, and that's a realm Anderson is a lot more comfortable with.

Did you see the part where Anderson Silva didn't get knocked out by an insane Chael Sonnen and didn't seem to melt under the pressure of some pretty effective GNP for a few rounds?

No I saw the "p4p" best fighter get treated like a pillow for four rounds til he got lucky.
ChrisSabal
8/8/10 5:02:58AM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by lohmann

No I saw the "p4p" best fighter get treated like a pillow for four rounds til he got lucky.

yes Chael destroyed Anderson but calling Anderson lucky for getting a submission is just plain stupid. Anderson didn't get lucky. Anderson exposed Sonnen's poor submission defense. Plain and simple.
tmas
8/8/10 7:38:05AM
Anderson was injured not to make excuses even Sonnen knew this as the fight was suggested not to happen. Sonnen said he believed him going into it but during the fight when Anderson didnt put up much resistance he knew it was true. Sonnen did stumble Anderson after being rocked in the first himself that was pretty cool, but Anderson recovered quick even letting Sonnen hit him in the face afterwords to show he wasnt hurt much and was slightly off balance when he fell...

Sonnen dominate? eh yea and no he really didnt do much on the ground except lay and Anderson actually did more damage and was more active. Sonnen had a good gameplan and executed Game plan was to lay on him for five rounds and do enough not to get stood up without using much energy......

Plain simple truth Anderson won and is still the p4p #1 the best ever in mma imo.

i think this could be chael's coming out party but he needs to be more active in the future.
KingCmb
8/8/10 9:21:29AM

Posted by tmas

Anderson was injured not to make excuses even Sonnen knew this as the fight was suggested not to happen. Sonnen said he believed him going into it but during the fight when Anderson didnt put up much resistance he knew it was true. Sonnen did stumble Anderson after being rocked in the first himself that was pretty cool, but Anderson recovered quick even letting Sonnen hit him in the face afterwords to show he wasnt hurt much and was slightly off balance when he fell...

Sonnen dominate? eh yea and no he really didnt do much on the ground except lay and Anderson actually did more damage and was more active. Sonnen had a good gameplan and executed Game plan was to lay on him for five rounds and do enough not to get stood up without using much energy......

Plain simple truth Anderson won and is still the p4p #1 the best ever in mma imo.

i think this could be chael's coming out party but he needs to be more active in the future.

im sorry but your wrong everywhere in this post

number one - i dont belive sonnen knew anderson was hurt if he did why wouldnt he work the body more

number two - what fight did u watch where silva did more damage he did next to nothing except on good standing elbow but cheal recovered and pounded some more after... (and u say silva was more active if sloppy armbars once a round count more than 4 mins and 45 seconds on gnp then yes )

number 3- cheal just used lay and pray thats a bold statment at best he was nailing anderson and wouldnt let up

sorry but a blind man could see anderson was being exposed...your right he won and it was an amazing feat of endurence heart and skill under pressure but silva did not let it happen they way u make it seem
prozacnation1978
8/8/10 9:55:12AM
i am tired of these instant rematches give silva belfort next

i gotta say his mystique is gone, i just may for first time ever pick against silva

it got lucky god mad respect for sonnen but will never be a sonnen fan
Violence108
8/8/10 10:34:32AM
i think anderson silva did exacty what he wanted too, watching the fight it looked like silva had more than one chance in every round to get a submission, but i think he wanted the fans to think he was losing and the get a come form behind win, people love that stuff, i think silva could have done whatever he wanted to in that fight, but then it wouldnt have been so exciting, it just would have ended in the 1st round
SpiderSilva
8/8/10 10:44:45AM
didn't we all know chael would take silva down? **** that's why i had 4th rd sub. let's face it the sub was coming seems like being 12-0 in the UFC 7-0 title defenses gets no respect from fickal fans. oh on a side note thats 2-0 vs top level wreslters both by sub so everyone that's saying a wrestlers will be the ones to beat silva well.... they haven't done it yet let the haters hate cause the champ did what he does best won again
RyanC
8/8/10 10:47:53AM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by lohmann

When you train as much as Anderson trains nothing is luck especially when you factor in Chaels historically bad submission defense, and the amount of triangle's he's been caught in. He saw his opportunity for the submission and he secured it. Luck had nothing to do with it.
JoeySteel
8/8/10 11:06:57AM
REMATCH? What? Did you see Sonnen after the fight? He was hurt.

Anderson took everything Sonnen could muster and Sonnen barely phased him.

Anderson is a ROBOT!

He was looking for that triangle for rounds, and finally got it.

Anderson took almost NO damage, stayed calm, used his strengths to overcome his opponent's strengths and turned them into weaknesses.

All the Anderson hating is incredible.

I can barely stand it. It makes me not want to deal with common MMA fans. I think people are not fairly evaluating that fight last night.

Stop listening to Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg's silly commentary, they said stuff that was simply untrue about Anderson. He did not look beat, he did not look tired, he was trying for subs, constantly.

Sonnen's weakness is his BJJ, Anderson used it.

Frankly I would not be too surprised if this was all part of the plan.
AchillesHeel
8/8/10 11:13:46AM
Ugh.

I think if you were judging Silva on his "mystique", you were missing the show, and the point. Forest Griffin and Rich Franklin weren't demolished by mystique. Dan Henderson and Travis Lutter didn't tap out to mystique. Silva is one of the best strikers in all of MMA - if not the best - and is excellent at BJJ to boot. Anyone who pays attention to MMA knew that a top-shelf wrestler would probably be Silva's biggest challenge. We said it when Hendo got a title shot, we kept saying it after Silva defeated Hendo, and we said it again when Sonnen got a title shot. And, oh yeah, I think Silva won both of those fights.

"He won the competition but he got mauled in the fight"? Please. You don't understand jiu-jitsu at all. If Sonnen hadn't tapped, he'd have woken up with a broken arm. Silva got mauled and then won the fight. And dismissing the competition for the fight is ridiculous. This is a sport, and sports - all sports - are about making adjustments. You don't win a baseball game by being ahead after 8 innings, you don't win a football game by being in the lead after 55 minutes, and you don't win an MMA belt by dominating for 22 minutes. Sonnen had to knock Silva out, make him tap, or beat him up for 25 minutes. He opened Door #4: "None of the above."

That said, to say that Silva is now somehow vulnerable in a way that he wasn't before is to underrate how good Sonnen is. With this performance, and with Jake Shields dropping to 170, I think Sonnen becomes the #2 Middleweight in the sport. By my estimation, there are four or five guys in the world who could maybe do what he did last night.

And yes, Vitor Belfort is one of them. He has as good a chance as anybody to KO Anderson Silva. Which is to say, probably about 1-in-3.
Hendo67
8/8/10 11:17:10AM

Posted by seanfu

Sonnen outstruck Anderson by 200 strikes, and his striking is far worse than Vitors.
RyanC
8/8/10 11:18:36AM

Posted by Hendo67

Posted by seanfu

Sonnen outstruck Anderson by 200 strikes, and his striking is far worse than Vitors.

How many of those strikes were on the feet though? 5% maybe?
AchillesHeel
8/8/10 11:23:49AM

Posted by RyanC

By FightMetric's count, 4.4%. According to Compustrike, 6.5%.
seanfu
8/8/10 11:34:08AM
You haters suck epically, no matter how much he wins you hate. How about this, he won, Chael lost, everyone who wants to hate can eat it because he has most of the records in the UFC now.

You fickle ass people were hugging his nuts until the Leitas fight, and then you hated, and then he decimated Forrest standing, and then you nuthugged, and then after his last two fights that he won you hate again.

After he destroys Vitor you will nuthug again because you all have the memory of a goldfish.
cowcatcher
8/8/10 11:35:18AM
silva looked as bad as he has in the ufc, maybe in his whole career, but he came back and locked up a sub after being manhandled for 22 minutes. there is something to be said for that, and thats the kind of thing that you want your champion to be able to do: fight through adversity and come out on top on the other side. great comeback by anderson, plain and simple.

on the flip side, sonnen was masterful last night, he did exactly what he wanted to do and fell a couple minutes short of one of the best fights in terms of gameplan and execution ive ever seen. for anyone to take away from that by saying silva was hurt is ridiculous, EVERY fighter is at least a little beat up coming into a fight. for anyone to say that silvas plan was to sit back and eat elbows for 4 1/2 rounds ubtil a sub was there thats pretty damn ridiculous too. sonnen deserves a ton of credit for showing that anderson does have chinks in his armor and can be basically manhandled for nearly the entirety of a championship fight. likewise, anderson deserves credit for being able to handle that kind of mauling and still be able to find a way to win, something he has proven again and again that he can do at any time.
AchillesHeel
8/8/10 11:36:29AM

Posted by seanfu

[...]you all have the memory of a goldfish.

Another thing that's true for all sports.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/8/10 12:02:59PM

Posted by seanfu

You haters suck epically, no matter how much he wins you hate. How about this, he won, Chael lost, everyone who wants to hate can eat it because he has most of the records in the UFC now.

You fickle ass people were hugging his nuts until the Leitas fight, and then you hated, and then he decimated Forrest standing, and then you nuthugged, and then after his last two fights that he won you hate again.

After he destroys Vitor you will nuthug again because you all have the memory of a goldfish.

Don't hold back, Sean, tell us how you really feel.
RyanC
8/8/10 12:50:33PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by RyanC

By FightMetric's count, 4.4%. According to Compustrike, 6.5%.

Wow that was a pretty good guess. All I know is out of the 200 strikes or whatever Chael landed they sure didn't do much damage. Anderson walked out of that fight looking like he had hardly been touched.
bjj1605
8/8/10 1:09:24PM
I posted this in another thread but your delusions make it necessary for you to read it.

A tap is any indication from the fighter to the referee that he is submitting. It can be done by tapping the body, tapping the mat, tapping with your foot, snapping your fingers, verbally... pretty much anyway you can think of to tell the ref you want out. Stop making excuses. Sonnen did a good job but he got caught. It's absurd to say he proved he was the better fighter because he lost. Duh. Anderson did not get lucky. There is no such thing as a lucky submission. It's a very specific set of movements that takes a deliberate execution. Anderson beat Chael technically. He made him quit, cry uncle, ask the ref to save him. There is no method of defeat more dominant than a submission. You are essentially admitting "you have placed me in a position where my only options are to quit and call you the better man or to face unconsciousness/physical injury". Also, the arm bar is what tapped Sonnen. He was fighting the triangle and when he fell to his back Anderson turned the arm over and pulled it across his hip. It's a triangle-armbar but the pressure at that point is on the elbow joint, not the carotid arteries. Edit: even before Chael begged the ref to save him from injury, he was eating a lot of shots from the bottom. MMA Judges don't score damage but Anderson was certainly doing more of it. He was landing elbows from the bottom that had Chael's face cut, bleeding, and bruised. Anderson was unscathed. Chael clipped Anderson on the feet at one point and wobbled him, Anderson dropped him two or three times. It's an MMA fight not a wrestling match. Anderson is the better fighter. Chael is the better wrestler.

I would also like to add that Vitor has a completely different style than Chael that will play right into Anderson's game.

I think everyone knew Chael could take people down and land ground and pound. The most impressive thing to me was that Anderson defended so well from the bottom, landed meaningful strikes that did more damage than any of Chaels 1,000,000 punches, made Chael pay every time the fight was on the feet (at one time dropping him with a sick technical elbow), and eventually submitted him with a textbook triangle set up late in the fight.

That's how you show your championship heart. He can lose a whole fight, hang in there, and pull something off when he needs to.

I agree with seanfu that people in MMA seem to have no memories. Anderson has gone from everyone's favorite champ to a disrespectful joke more times than any other sports figure or even politician for that matter.

Don't forget his accomplishments just because he was taken down by a talented wrestler. Instead recognize what he did in-spite of that challenge and how he fought to overcome it.

Pskinner_mma314
8/8/10 1:52:29PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by lohmann

Luck is a word that is used to describe anothers accomplishments to order to validate their own mediocrity.........he threw the triangle, he locked it, fight got stopped.....nothin lucky about that, good timing, why are people that call themselves hardcore MMA fans still even bringin up the word luck? you should know by now that anything can happen at any given time, INCLUDING gettin your ass kicked for 4 rounds and then pulling off a sub.

so by the the same token, you're saying Nog was "lucky" is most of his fights, Fedor has been "lucky" in a few of his, Leben has been "lucky" after some of his fights where he got hit alot and then threw a punch that landed and ended the fight.
sorry man, no such thing as luck
krthll1
8/8/10 3:23:40PM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Chael was definitely "swinging the hammer" tonite! I dont think Anderson's days are numbered, but he certainly got a wake up call tonite. Hopefully, from here on he comes to fight and not to dance and make a fool of himself and his opponents.

Chael landed more strikes in this fight than Silva has been hit with in his previous 11 fights. I consider the trash talk backed up (minus the taking the belt part)

That stat of strikes is flawed though because obviously Anderson Silva was on his back for the first 4 rounds and after the first 2 rounds the strikes turned into weak hammer fists and punches. But Sonnen definitely dominated the fight. I am not so sure Belfort will beat Silva. Silva really looked like his rib was hurt coming into the fight. His standing defense looked the worst I have ever seen it. Let Silva heal up and fight Belfort. I still think silva would beat Belfort by knockout in the 3rd round. Silva has a higher volume and types of strikes to throw at Belfort to me. I do think Chael Sonnen deserves an immediate rematch before Belfort even gets a shot. I think you should actually have to have a fight in the Middleweight division before getting a shot at the champion
noahgenda
8/8/10 3:50:51PM
i feel like some people didnt really watch the fight, they just listened to joe rogan. he kept talking about the bombs sonnen was landing when he was hitting him with rabbit punches and ****. it was absurd. sonnens ground and pound is much more annoying than effective. this was basically a replay of the marquardt fight except it went 5 rounds and sonnen wasnt saved by the bell.
chickmagnet
8/8/10 4:26:35PM
Anderson will lose. He is overrated. Cant wait to see Vitor ruin this guys career and hopefully ends it.
RyanC
8/8/10 4:35:08PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Anderson will lose. He is overrated. Cant wait to see Vitor ruin this guys career and hopefully ends it.

I'll make an avatar bet on that if the fight happens.
Pages: [1] 2