Anderson Silva wants Super Fights

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva wants Super Fights
Twenty20Dollars
8/25/08 4:04:16AM
linkage

Since making his debut in the Octagon, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has never hand picked an opponent. He has never turned down a fight. He even moved up a weight class to be a part of a main event for a special live televised event. And after facing Patrick Cote at UFC 90 in Chicago, Silva is looking for the biggest fights possible.

Being considered among the best pound for pound fighters on the planet always puts Silva’s name in the hat when fans and journalists alike start matchmaking the dream fights, pitting the Brazilian against everyone from Georges St. Pierre to Chuck Liddell.

His manager, Ed Soares, spoke to MMAWeekly Radio recently and feels that Anderson Silva will be a part of many of the biggest fights fans will ever see.

“I think he wants to fight those big mega fights because that’s the kind of fight we want to be involved with right now,” he said about Silva’s future fights. “I think it’s a combination of seeing what the potential opponent is and also seeing what the UFC wants to do. At the end of the day, this is a business, and they need to sell fights. They need to sell a lot of pay-per-views, and they need to sell tickets. So, we want to be involved with those types of fights.”

One name in particular that has been rumored for months is former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell, who is arguably the most well known fighter in the sport today. While Silva’s focus is solely on Patrick Cote, a fight with Liddell is one he would accept.

“We’re not looking past Patrick Cote, but I think we’ll take one step at a time and see what happens. But yeah, if a Chuck Liddell fight came up, we’d take it,” stated Soares. “Whoever the UFC wants to put in front of us, he wants to fight the best, and whoever that may be at the time, that’s who he wants to fight.”

The timing for a year-end super fight involving Silva may work out as well. As Soares explained, he was originally going to fight Yushin Okami at UFC 88 in Atlanta, but an injury forced the Japanese fighter off the card.

This latest match-up with Cote will take place towards the end of October, but barring any injuries, the “Spider” won’t close the door for the possibility of another fight in 2008.

“If the right fight was to come up for the New Year’s fight, maybe we would take it,” said Soares. “Right now it’s really hard to say, we’re pretty much just focused with Anderson on the Oct. 25 fight.”
Twenty20Dollars
8/25/08 4:09:29AM
Personally Im not that interest in anderson vs chuck. chuck has other guys in 205 that are more exciting match ups to me. Issues with that fight, anderson looses, everyone will say he was too small and if chuck looses they will say he is too old.

But i think anderson can still go for the super fights but i dont think chuck is a super fight. GSP vs Anderson is a better super fight or A-Silva vs Bj Penn or shogun. First and second though A-Silva needs to defend against Cote and then if he wants to fight again at the end of the year that should be against Okami if he will be ready in time.

Im just saying Okami should get a crack at the 185 title because anderson starts doing all these super fights because okami earned a title shot and it could sell because it would be like a revenge fight for A-silva and i think okami would be a real tough test for A-silva and i think the fight would go to the 3rd round.
nickcuc547
8/25/08 7:22:31AM
give silva the super fights, the guy is obviously head and shoulders above everybody at 185, so now lets see if he's the best pound for pound fighter in the world, if he isn't already.
XblacksheepX
8/25/08 7:57:46AM
As the fight buisness gets bigger and bigger, it's just the right decision for anderson to look for the big selling fights. he not only can get a shitload of money, he also has much more serious competition at the ufc's 205. After beating Cote and Okami, which i definitely assume to happen, silva had infact cleaned out the whole middleweight division. What's more interesting for mma fans than to see if he also can do it at 205?! rampage, griffin, shogun, liddel, machida, wanderlei, thiago, vera.. that is all competition were nobody knows, what happens. seeing anderson staying at middleweight is becoming a one man show. Not that i wouldn't like that, i love watching anderson fight, whoever the opponent is. But he embracing the martial arts spirit is always looking for a challenge..
D0wnUnd6e6r
8/25/08 9:04:06AM
IMO he can kill anybody
Zekeil
8/25/08 9:09:13AM

Posted by XblacksheepX

As the fight buisness gets bigger and bigger, it's just the right decision for anderson to look for the big selling fights. he not only can get a shitload of money, he also has much more serious competition at the ufc's 205. After beating Cote and Okami, which i definitely assume to happen, silva had infact cleaned out the whole middleweight division. What's more interesting for mma fans than to see if he also can do it at 205?! rampage, griffin, shogun, liddel, machida, wanderlei, thiago, vera.. that is all competition were nobody knows, what happens. seeing anderson staying at middleweight is becoming a one man show. Not that i wouldn't like that, i love watching anderson fight, whoever the opponent is. But he embracing the martial arts spirit is always looking for a challenge..

I agree.

Anderson needs to move to 205 that class is full of superfights for him.
I wouldn't mind seeing GSP vs Silva but I could do without.

205 is a much better move, You mentioned 8 fights I would love to see and in that weight division the possibilities are endless.
Ordep
8/25/08 10:35:51AM
As much as Dana keeps claiming Anderson to be #1P4P and wants him to be the new poster guy he would not sacrifice Liddell against him befores making all the $$$ with a possible Liddell vs. Griffin LHW Title Bout.... then maybe.
Kracker_Jap
8/25/08 11:27:45AM
Some should whisper in Andersons ear.....

"If you play with fire you could get burned"

postman
8/25/08 1:01:39PM
You see it in Boxing all the time a guy cleans house in one division and sets down his title and moves up to the next weight. He needs to give Dan Henderson a rematch and if he gets past Dan he needs to put the 185 division in the rearview. All the Best super Fights for him are at 205 and he is big enough to compete at 205. So I see Cote Okomi and maybe Henderson getting thier shot at Anderson then its time to move on.
finnish_line
8/25/08 1:08:32PM

I'd rather see Silva stay at Middleweight (with maybe the occasional 205 fight) and defend against Okami, Bisping (if he beats Leben) and maybe Hendo again.

The 205ers have a lot of matchups ready to go amongst themselves as it is.
bigbubbano23
8/25/08 1:12:22PM
to me anderson silva is kind of like the movie the ring. after you enter the cage you only have about a minute and a half to live.
Hillbilly
8/25/08 2:09:31PM
I think both the MW and LHW divisons would be more exciting if Anderson was at LHW
Gipper
8/25/08 2:16:55PM
silva still has a few fighters to beat in the mw division like cote, kampmann, bisping, quarry. i personally want to see hendo get a rematch because i still think hendo has the tools to beat anderson. obviously a fight between silva and gsp or penn would be unreal. i think gsp and penn would have better chances to beat anderson then most of the top lhw's. but saying all that anderson has earned the right to any super fight he chooses.
EliasG
8/25/08 6:18:07PM
Of course chuck makes sense. You protect the middleweight champ if he loses and you protect Forest who is the "future" of the division. They are "NAMES" and they are easier to promote than a Cote fight.

I'll watch GSP v. Silva. I'll watch Chuck v. Silva. Not interested grealy in a Rampage v. Chuck or a CHuck v. Forest. But there is sufficient uncertainty that I want to see CHuck v. Silva. I mean who wins? Can anyone say with certainty? That's the point. Everyone's a little nervous whcih makes for a GREAT fight watching experience.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/25/08 10:32:47PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

war james irvin! whos with me?
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/25/08 10:38:09PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Personally Im not that interest in anderson vs chuck. chuck has other guys in 205 that are more exciting match ups to me. Issues with that fight, anderson looses, everyone will say he was too small and if chuck looses they will say he is too old.

But i think anderson can still go for the super fights but i dont think chuck is a super fight. GSP vs Anderson is a better super fight or A-Silva vs Bj Penn or shogun. First and second though A-Silva needs to defend against Cote and then if he wants to fight again at the end of the year that should be against Okami if he will be ready in time.

Im just saying Okami should get a crack at the 185 title because anderson starts doing all these super fights because okami earned a title shot and it could sell because it would be like a revenge fight for A-silva and i think okami would be a real tough test for A-silva and i think the fight would go to the 3rd round.

i disagree. anderson should not fight the champ in a weight class below or two weight classes below. 2 champs who have 1 title defense each. I think a fight with shogun would be good but not a "super fight ". how can you honestly say that a fight with the most well known mma fighter in north america, in a higher weight class , whos the old champ , isnt a super fight?
Kracker_Jap
8/26/08 1:31:17AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by Kracker_Jap

war james irvin! whos with me?

OUch!!!
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/26/08 10:52:17PM
lol sorry dude had to do it
balack_o-bama
8/26/08 11:21:22PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

The Spider burns fire.
saemskin
8/27/08 11:48:54AM
I said it a few months ago and now that it's coming to fruition, I'll remind you.

BJ penn will fight and beat GSP, then move on to fight Anderson Silva. Outcome inconclusive.
BJ will not defend his LW title againt a LW in our lifetime. The belt will be put back on interim status after he beats GSP and announces his decision to fight Silva.

Just you watch!