Anderson Silva Wants To Compete In MMA Until He's 43 Years Old

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anderson Silva Wants To Compete In MMA Until He's 43 Years Old
thevoodooninja
9/10/12 7:16:39PM
LINK

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is currently 37 years old. Silva, however, feels like a young fighter just entering his prime, as he told the Brazilian newspaper Estadao recently.
"I guess you can see more like six years of fighting (left)," Silva said. "I love what I do. The team that works with me does a fantastic job."
Aether
9/10/12 7:36:29PM
As much as I find the antics of him and his managers really annoying as a fan, I'm thrilled to see another 6 years of him kicking ass, and it makes the possibility of Jones/Silva seem a lot more realistic.
warglory
9/10/12 10:36:49PM

Posted by Aether

As much as I find the antics of him and his managers really annoying as a fan, I'm thrilled to see another 6 years of him kicking ass, and it makes the possibility of Jones/Silva seem a lot more realistic.

I totally agree, with the caveat that he doesn't pull a Chuck Liddell or a Ken Shamrock and keep taking punishment for the love of the sport. Everyone has their falling off point, and I hope that Anderson has the good sense to know when to quit.
bjj1605
9/11/12 9:28:56AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Aether

I totally agree, with the caveat that he doesn't pull a Chuck Liddell or a Ken Shamrock and keep taking punishment for the love of the sport. Everyone has their falling off point, and I hope that Anderson has the good sense to know when to quit.

Agree with both.

If Anderson loses 2 in a row, I think he should retire. Or if he goes like 1-3 in a series of four fights.

That would be a big deal after going undefeated for your entire UFC career.
postman
9/11/12 11:51:21AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by warglory

Posted by Aether

Agree with both.

If Anderson loses 2 in a row, I think he should retire. Or if he goes like 1-3 in a series of four fights.

That would be a big deal after going undefeated for your entire UFC career.

With that logic Machida should have packed his bags after Jones finished him.
george112
9/11/12 12:05:55PM
Well I'd imagine he could fight till 43 . The guy rarely fights more then twice a year
bjj1605
9/11/12 12:29:41PM

Posted by postman

Different situation.

Anderson has already accomplished everything he needs to in the sport and he's getting up there in age. If it becomes obvious that he can't compete at the level he used to, why would he stick around?

Machida on the other hand only held the title for a short time (so he's got a lot left to prove) and he is still in the prime of his career.

I will say though that it should also depend on HOW he loses. If he loses by KO, then ya, retire. If he loses a couple of close SDs, I would say stick around.

Whatever he decides though I'll be a fan and be happy to watch for as long as he sticks around.
postman
9/11/12 4:56:08PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by postman

Different situation.

Anderson has already accomplished everything he needs to in the sport and he's getting up there in age. If it becomes obvious that he can't compete at the level he used to, why would he stick around?

Machida on the other hand only held the title for a short time (so he's got a lot left to prove) and he is still in the prime of his career.

I will say though that it should also depend on HOW he loses. If he loses by KO, then ya, retire. If he loses a couple of close SDs, I would say stick around.

Whatever he decides though I'll be a fan and be happy to watch for as long as he sticks around.

Machida was koed by Shogun Then had the split D to Rampage then beat Randy then Went to sleep with Jones. Some will argue he beat Page some could Argue he should have lost to Shogun in the first fight. I agree how he loses is more important then the number of loses if he is still competeing with top 10 guys and making millions of dollars doing it who are we to tell him its time to go. Its hard to see Champions fade but they also have the right to go make money. As long as he draws numbers and the UFC wants him in the cage he can fight as long as he wants in my eyes. He gets droped by two top 10 fighters then gets beat by a guy in the top 20 it might be time to move on and the UFC usually does a pretty good job at making that happen. (not alaways though)
bjj1605
9/11/12 11:31:01PM

Posted by postman

Posted by bjj1605

Different situation.

Machida was koed by Shogun Then had the split D to Rampage then beat Randy then Went to sleep with Jones. Some will argue he beat Page some could Argue he should have lost to Shogun in the first fight.

I think I wasn't clear in what I meant the first time.

The first part of my post explains why I think Anderson and Machida are different situations.

The second half is just me expanding on how I feel about Anderson and the issue of retirement. The second half wasn't meant to refer to Machida but I didn't make that clear.

I agree with the rest of your post.
postman
9/12/12 11:45:58AM
I got ya