Anderson Silva's UFC Performance

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Anderson Silva's UFC Performance
kublakhan
3/26/07 1:45:09PM
Is it just me, or does Anderson Silva look much better in the UFC than he did in Pride? Maybe his fighting style fits the UFC perfectly, but he never really realized his full potential in Pride, and I wonder why. He's so good right now that I don't think he'll be beaten by a current UFC fighter; they'll have to bring in Filho or Kang to beat him in my opinion.
pv3Hpv3p
3/26/07 2:21:34PM
I'm not sure how old he is, but my guess would be that he has just matured more as a complete fighter...

From what I understand, he has been a Muay Thai fighter for over a decade, and as his ground game gets better, I it adds more confidence to his standup, or more accurately lessens the worries over the other aspects of the fight game...

I guess we'll see at 72 when he fights Marquardt...
tyo
3/26/07 2:41:33PM
i think a good strong wrestler would dish him.

i waitin to see hughes when he jumps up to middleweight, and just dominate him!
madmarck
3/26/07 3:04:32PM

Posted by tyo

i waitin to see hughes when he jumps up to middleweight, and just dominate him!

In Anderson\Newton Silva got taken down pretty easily. I dont think Hughes would ahve much trouble has his style would be very simliar to the way Carlos fought that fight.
AchillesHeel
3/26/07 3:06:25PM

Posted by kublakhan

Is it just me, or does Anderson Silva look much better in the UFC than he did in Pride? Maybe his fighting style fits the UFC perfectly, but he never really realized his full potential in Pride, and I wonder why. He's so good right now that I don't think he'll be beaten by a current UFC fighter; they'll have to bring in Filho or Kang to beat him in my opinion.

I think a properly prepared and motivated Rich Franklin has an even chance. Other than him, I don't see anyone in the UFC right now who can really threaten Silva. I don't like Marquardt's chances, myself. MacDonald and Lister have already proven they're not there yet. The most promising of the TUF guys - Leben, Swick, Grove and Herman - are far from contending. I've heard/read rumors about Nate Quarry, Ivan Salaverry, and Evan Tanner making comebacks with the UFC, but even if they signed a contract this afternoon, they wouldn't be ready for a title fight before next year.

I'd be surprised if the UFC signed either Kang or Filho, but Dana White keeps surprising me, so... who knows?

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I'm not sure how old he is, but my guess would be that he has just matured more as a complete fighter...

Some people attribute his improvement to his leaving Chute Boxe and starting Muay Thai Dream Team, and Casa Preta.

Posted by tyo

Possibly, but I don't see him as being particularly vulnerable to ground n' pound. Don't forget, he's a blackbelt in BJJ; he just prefers muay thai to finish fights.
loller90278
3/26/07 3:10:43PM

Posted by kublakhan

the talent pool was deeper in pride.. beating chris leben and travis lutter doesn't make u the best in the game IMO. although, rich franklin was an impressive (i think rich didn't know how good silva really was..)
tyo
3/26/07 3:19:23PM
the way i saw crappy lutter take him down with sloppy shots, and alomost pound him out in that first round... a strong wrestler like matt hughes can get him down easily, keep him there and pound him out
AchillesHeel
3/26/07 3:23:36PM

Posted by tyo

the way i saw crappy lutter take him down with sloppy shots, and alomost pound him out in that first round... a strong wrestler like matt hughes can get him down easily, keep him there and pound him out

Silva had some injury or something, didn't he? I can't remember now. Anyway, Matt Hughes is nobody's benchmark. If he's the only guy who could beat Silva, that says a lot about Silva.
pv3Hpv3p
3/26/07 4:41:56PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Some people attribute his improvement to his leaving Chute Boxe and starting Muay Thai Dream Team, and Casa Preta.

Ya, i had heard the same about Chutebox... Something about not getting enough attention from trainers and some sort of disagreement with Shogun or Wandy or something like that...

I'm sure that had a hand in his improvment, but I think it was just his time as a fighter...

Is Casa Preta, the Black House gym?? I have heard that they are doing good things...
floridamma
3/28/07 4:34:33AM
imo, the reason hes so successful in UFC is because the talent level is below that of pride's middle weight division. also, there are more well rounded fighters in pride, whereas UFC stresses stand up more, so their fighters are not as skilled on the mat. if you notice, most (if not all, have to check fight finder) of his losses in pride were from submission. also, he has raised his game exponentially over the past few years, so comparing anderson in pride and ufc is a bit complicated.
crimethinc
3/28/07 1:12:36PM
IMO BJJ black belt or not, I don't think his ground game is as polished as a middleweight champion should be. He's been dispatching opponents easily when they play into his striking game but I think someone even slightly better then Lutter could have pretty decent success on the ground.
shinobi
4/18/07 5:20:26PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by kublakhan

I think a properly prepared and motivated Rich Franklin has an even chance. Other than him, I don't see anyone in the UFC right now who can really threaten Silva. I don't like Marquardt's chances, myself. MacDonald and Lister have already proven they're not there yet. The most promising of the TUF guys - Leben, Swick, Grove and Herman - are far from contending. I've heard/read rumors about Nate Quarry, Ivan Salaverry, and Evan Tanner making comebacks with the UFC, but even if they signed a contract this afternoon, they wouldn't be ready for a title fight before next year.

I'd be surprised if the UFC signed either Kang or Filho, but Dana White keeps surprising me, so... who knows?

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by tyo

Possibly, but I don't see him as being particularly vulnerable to ground n' pound. Don't forget, he's a blackbelt in BJJ; he just prefers muay thai to finish fights.

Travis Lutter exposed anderson silva's ground game, he looked like a baby, and got lucky when the bell rang and with that triangle, if lutter was in better shape he'd have the belt. i see nate marquardt taking the belt from anderson.
pv3Hpv3p
4/18/07 6:06:41PM

Posted by crimethinc

IMO BJJ black belt or not, I don't think his ground game is as polished as a middleweight champion should be. He's been dispatching opponents easily when they play into his striking game but I think someone even slightly better then Lutter could have pretty decent success on the ground.

But if he elevated his standup to the point of like a Liddell or Filipovic then he would really only have to worry about the TD defense... And a lot of people already consider him in the upper echelon of strikers...
Rush
4/18/07 9:52:32PM

Posted by madmarck
In Anderson\Newton Silva got taken down pretty easily. I dont think Hughes would ahve much trouble has his style would be very simliar to the way Carlos fought that fight.

Didn't Carlos take a knee/kick to the head and got knocked out during one of his shoots?
shinobi
4/19/07 12:06:11AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by madmarck

Didn't Carlos take a knee/kick to the head and got knocked out during one of his shoots?

and didnt chuck liddell get tko'd by rampage? it happens man. some guys had the right idea at the right time with their reflexes.
Winslow
4/19/07 2:29:36PM
anderson silva has great standup.. but he still needs to work on his ground. he almost got submitted his last fight.
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/20/07 6:10:37PM

Posted by shinobi
and didnt chuck liddell get tko'd by rampage? it happens man. some guys had the right idea at the right time with their reflexes.

Who the hell is Rampage jackson?
shinobi
4/20/07 11:36:47PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by shinobi

Who the hell is Rampage jackson?

i know you've got to be joking...
p_unit23
4/21/07 10:37:37PM
yeah. i like the ufc anderson silva more than the pride one. he's improved and he's a good muay thai guy. but when ryo chonan did his flying scissor heel hook, that was tight as hell!