Anderson Silva's toughest test will be

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Anderson Silva's toughest test will be
POLL: Will Kendall develop into a top 5 middleweight
No 54% (21)
Yes 46% (18)
MoJoy
8/12/07 1:56:15PM
Assuming Dan Henderson will stay at Light Heavy, will be a fighter many of you don't have ranked in your top 10, I got him at number 8. He's untested and has most of his fame due to TUF show. He is Kendall Grove. I want to be clear about something I am not saying he is the best middleweight aside from Anderson. I am not saying he will most likely beat him. I am saying he will give him his toughest test. I know if you feel if you should not be ranked top 10, cause he has a lot to prove, I agree with you. However just like I have Vera ranked high, some guys, have proven it to me they are first rate, just cause they have not proved it to you dont mean I cant rank how I want to rank. Kendall is incredibly tall and athletic. All around athlete, his family is splendidly athletic. He has first rate ju jitsu and has developed excellent strking. And is stronger than he looks. He is not a classic, puncher, but with his Muay Thai, his good punching, excellent with kicks and knees, he has a great game on the ground and feet. Very nimble, and what I like is I have seen him take hits in fights, he's a tough guy. I dont see Anderson just walking through him, he has to respect that reach, and I see Kendall with his all around game, at least being able to last a few rounds. Go ahead and lay the nay on, I know time will prove me right.
grappler0000
8/12/07 2:14:56PM
Only problem is that Kendall's chin has already been tested before...and by people not nearly as talented as Silva. Silva has all of Kendall's stregths...and has an upper hand with all of them, aside from the reach advantage, which I don't think will be a problem. The biggest appeal to the matchup for me would merely be the fact that it would be The Spider vs Da Spyder.

As far as ranking...Kendall has yet to beat anyone good enough to indicate that he is top 10 material. I find it hard to compare him to Vera. Vera is still undefeated. Also, he has finished every match in convincing style. Either way, you have to at least beat a top 15 before you should be considered a top 10. If you want to rank him a top 10, I don't think anyone is planning on stopping you, but I think most people will wait and let him earn it. I'm not saying that he's not a good but fighter, but he has a way to go still.
hippysmacker
8/12/07 3:08:14PM
Grappler has a valid point. WHile I agree that Kendall has improved by leaps and bounds since his first appearnace on TUF , due to training with Punishment and now Couture, he has some badly embarrassing losses in his past, due to his chin. When the tuf roster comes out every year i search the net for info and videos on the fighter's. After seeing Kendall's performances against Deisel Riggs, and Sick Dog Ramirez I thought he would not even get out of the first round of Tuf. However, when I saw little Savant Young beat him, I thought they had just made a mistake. Anyway, like I said Kendall obviously got more out of the training on the show than most, but I think there' s only so much gum chewing you can do to improve a weak chin. He has learned to tuck it better at least, but I think it's possible this could be his Achilles heel. While you may think in time he will be a top 5 middleweight, I actually agree with this part, You can't know it . Opinions are just subjective individual preferences, and in mine Anderson could face much tougher guys ( Hendo, Lindland, filho. franklin, Kang just to name a few) than Kendall. So I think he will be top 5 someday, he could even hold the belt for a short time, I doubt he will ever be a legendary type guy because of his lack of physical strength and chin combined.....Then again Mirko doesn't have the bets chin either
MoJoy
8/12/07 7:26:58PM
When I look at a fighter, to me I prioritize

Most Recent fights
Any Win
Most recent Losses
Most early Losses

I dont ignore losses, but put the least stock in early losses to a fighters career.
BigEvil
8/12/07 9:38:25PM
I think Silva's toughest test is gonna be a Rich Franklin who knows what to expect this time. I think Silva is a better fighter but Franklin is tough as nails and isn't going down as easy this time. Oh and Kendal I think can be a top 5 middle weight based purely off of his physical skills. However, he defenitly needs more quality opponents first whetehr he wins or looses, a loss against a great fighter can do a lot more for your development than a win against a pathetic fighter.
SpiderSilva
8/12/07 9:55:30PM

Posted by BigEvil

I think Silva's toughest test is gonna be a Rich Franklin who knows what to expect this time. I think Silva is a better fighter but Franklin is tough as nails and isn't going down as easy this time. Oh and Kendal I think can be a top 5 middle weight based purely off of his physical skills. However, he defenitly needs more quality opponents first whetehr he wins or looses, a loss against a great fighter can do a lot more for your development than a win against a pathetic fighter.

The only way Franlin stands a chance is if he improves his ground game because Silva could sub him on the ground with no prob and we have see their stand up vs each other Rich comming forward will lose the stand up
jomatty
8/12/07 10:37:41PM
rich;s jits is no joke i think saying that anderson would easily sub him is wrong. that said anderson may have a slight advantage on the ground. i think this fight is gonna be better than most people do.
MoJoy
8/13/07 6:55:49PM
Look at some of the middlweights ranked in the top 10, Kendall is better than a bunch of them.
fedorwins1
8/13/07 7:07:52PM
Kendall could give anyone fits. He's really tall and lanky. He's improved sooo much also. Give it a few years and we shall see.
CwB
8/13/07 7:15:06PM
#2 Dan Henderson
#3 Rich Franklin
#4 Paulo Filho
#5 Matt Lindland
#6 Denis Kang
#7 Nathan Marquardt
#8 Yushin Okami
#9 Robbie Lawler
#10 Kazuo Misaki

these are mmaplaygrounds rankings.
who has kendall grove proved that he is better than...

Maybe lawler, Maybe Misaki, but he is no where close to being better then most guys on this list.

If he beats Cote, which i think he will, i want to see him fight okami who i think will over power him and GnP
Pitbull09
8/13/07 7:17:03PM
Its possible, its the weakesy weight class in the ufc, I think he is over hyped though from what ppl give him

He most likely will shape into a very educated and skilled fighter in time./
TOMMYAYO05
8/14/07 1:48:21AM
I just dont see him overcoming
hendo
franklin
kang
filho
marquardt
cmill21
8/14/07 2:41:15AM
LOL I thought you meant anderson, I was going to say he already killed rich & nate. I agree thought I don't think he'll be in the top 5 for a long time. I think anderson's toughest test will be hendo. Good wrestler, can stand and take some shots, when he gets you on the ground he's very active, anyone who can KO wand will give most a good fight.
AchillesHeel
8/14/07 10:51:52AM
Among current UFC Middleweights, Rich Franklin is the only one who can give Silva a fight, imho. As with any of the former champions, a lot depends upon Franklin's mental and emotional fortitude. His win over MacDonald was nicely executed, but I was a little disappointed that he couldn't finish Okami (I think Franklin was disappointed, too, fwiw). I think Silva exposed Franklin's inability to shift gears in the middle of a fight, and it will be interesting to see whether that continues to be a problem in their rematch.

There are some other guys who could seriously test Silva if they joined the division:

1. Dan Henderson. He says he's staying at 205 lbs, but if he loses to Rampage, I don't think anyone will be surprised to see another "unification fight" at 185.
2. Denis Kang. To my knowledge, he's still with American Top Team (who have several fighters in the UFC), and hasn't signed with any of the major organizations.
3. Matt Lindland. In some ways, he's tailor-made to defeat Silva, but I think he's a real long-shot to come back to the UFC.
4. Paulo Filho. Now that he has the WEC Middleweight Belt, I don't see him coming to the UFC any time soon.
5. Matt Hughes. Two things would have to happen for Hughes to put his money where his mouth is: Rich Franklin would have to lose his rematch with Silva, and Hughes would have to lose to Matt Serra.

I think it's much too early to say whether Kendall Grove can or will join the top tier of fighters. He isn't even "2nd Tier" yet, imo. He needs to fight - and defeat - Kampmann, Lutter, Martin, Okami, MacDonald, or Marquardt to even be considered a potential contender.

Right now, I think Patrick Cote is right up Grove's alley; he should win but it's not a given, and it ought to be a good matchup.

Posted by SpiderSilva

The only way Franlin stands a chance is if he improves his ground game because Silva could sub him on the ground with no prob[...]

At the risk of derailing the thread... Where do you get this from? I see nothing to suggest he's vulnerable to a submission. In fact, there's much evidence to the contrary. Franklin kicked the crap out of Jason MacDonald, Ken Shamrock, and Evan Tanner (twice), who have 58 submission victories between them. Franklin has never been submitted, and he has 5 wins by submission hold. None of those guys were on Silva's level at the time they fought Franklin, but that's not news - we already know that Silva is Franklin's toughest opponent, and the biggest "danger zone" is clearly in the stand-up game.

Posted by cmill21

LOL I thought you meant anderson, I was going to say he already killed rich & nate.

Haha. Yeah, I thought the same thing...