Anderson Silva Taking Rest Of 2012 Off, Looking At Early 2013 Return

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva Taking Rest Of 2012 Off, Looking At Early 2013 Return
Manak
8/13/12 11:59:59PM
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/13/3240225/anderson-silva-taking-rest-of-2012-off-looking-at-early-2013-return

"Anderson said he wants to take some time off until after the end of this year, and then we'll start talking to him," White said. "Anderson is going to fight after the end of the year."

wow so already fighting at a whooping rate of twice a yr now he is going to fighting once a yr.
meier
8/14/12 2:30:37AM
I dont criticize him for doing so. everyone needs a refreshing everynow and then. yes he doesnt fight but about twice or three times a year but the training is what he is most likely taking a break from. fights(3 times a year, 3 or 5 rounds, 15 to 25 min. a fight) training (7 days a week, 8 hours a day) so yea he may be burned out.
Bubbles
8/14/12 7:33:38AM
he just took a year off between Okami and Sonnen. He previously took 6 and 7 months off between fights. There is no way he can be "burnt out" because no one trains 7 days a week with no fight booked. They are probably in the gym but not in fight preparation.

Unless he is trying to get the timing right for a super fight with Jones/Hendo winner, he is just saying this so Weidman gets pissed off and takes another fight where Silva hopes and prays he loses. That and he wants to eat more whoppers
meier
8/14/12 11:38:44AM

Unless he is trying to get the timing right for a super fight with Jones/Hendo winner, he is just saying this so Weidman gets pissed off and takes another fight where Silva hopes and prays he loses. That and he wants to eat more whoppers 
i doubt it
bigrand826
8/14/12 2:13:43PM

Posted by meier

I dont criticize him for doing so. everyone needs a refreshing everynow and then. yes he doesnt fight but about twice or three times a year but the training is what he is most likely taking a break from. fights(3 times a year, 3 or 5 rounds, 15 to 25 min. a fight) training (7 days a week, 8 hours a day) so yea he may be burned out.

Well, I never pegged Anderson as the type that trains his butt off in between fights. Also, I can't remember the last time he fought 3 times in one year. On top of that, he typically doesn't even make it to the third round unless he is purposely dragging it out (outside of the first fight with Sonnen). He typically takes around 6 months between fights. I don't have a big problem with that when there isn't a fight to be made, but I feel like there is one.

Now, he has been fighting for years and years, but again, he hasn't been fighting a lot or having a lot of wars. Even though he has lived in the US, I don't think he has adopted Thanksgiving. Forgive my ignorance, but do Brazilians have some national holiday during the last half of the year where they eat a lot? Maybe that is the motivation around not wanting to fight until sometime next year. Having to watch your weight during the holidays would be hell.
BuffaloDave
8/14/12 2:36:34PM
It doesn't bother me at all, I look at it like is, with him only fighting once a year, it may prolong his fighting career. Plus less of a chance for his "Injuries" to happen while training.
Manak
8/14/12 6:43:49PM

Posted by bigrand826

Posted by meier

Well, I never pegged Anderson as the type that trains his butt off in between fights. Also, I can't remember the last time he fought 3 times in one year. On top of that, he typically doesn't even make it to the third round unless he is purposely dragging it out (outside of the first fight with Sonnen). He typically takes around 6 months between fights. I don't have a big problem with that when there isn't a fight to be made, but I feel like there is one.

Now, he has been fighting for years and years, but again, he hasn't been fighting a lot or having a lot of wars. Even though he has lived in the US, I don't think he has adopted Thanksgiving. Forgive my ignorance, but do Brazilians have some national holiday during the last half of the year where they eat a lot? Maybe that is the motivation around not wanting to fight until sometime next year. Having to watch your weight during the holidays would be hell.

last time he fought 3 times in a yr, it was 2008. his avg is 2.57 fights per yr over his mma career. i have only ever seen anderson take damage in one fight (cheal 1); outside that he barley gets touched.
tmas
8/17/12 5:31:45PM
he wouldnt have fought until very late 2012 early 2013 anyway.

he is getting older and it takes more time to heal even small injuries, he wants time off, give it to him he will still fight early 2013 like he originally planned there just making sure everyone knows.