Anderson Silva Says Yushi Okami Shouldn't Train With 'Loser 'Sonnen

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva Says Yushi Okami Shouldn't Train With 'Loser 'Sonnen
sparky
5/31/11 3:52:38PM
UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva defends his title in August when the UFC returns to his home country of Brazil for the first time since the late 90's as he takes on Yushin Okami in the main event of UFC: Rio.

Silva has faced Okami one time before, losing to the Japanese fighter in Hawaii via a disqualification, and will look to avenge that loss in the process of defending the strap.

Silva talked about Okami this week and gave his thoughts on his decision to align himself with Chael Sonnen and company prior to the contest to prepare:

“You have to find the best people to train with, and I think [Okami] chose wrong,” Silva said.

Link
Theoutlaw08
5/31/11 4:16:18PM
I mean he picked a good wrestling/ground and pound trainer.
But overall Sonnen is a scum bag....so i wouldn't train with him.
Maybe thats what Silva meant by a bad pick.

Budgellism
5/31/11 5:04:12PM
Sonnen really rubbed Silva the wrong way with the Nogueira brother comments.
KungFuMaster
5/31/11 5:35:38PM
Sonnen's insights on Silva will allow Okami to have a legitimate chance. Okami is a strong middle weight and if he can learn to translate that strength into take downs and follow it up with ground and pounds with the help of Sonnen, he should be able to give Anderson a run for his money.

Anderson has looked the same over the years while Okami has improved tremendously in the stand up and in the grappling/wrestling.

I am glad Okami is finally getting his long awaited title shot. I am pulling for Okami for an upset. Here's to wishful thinking.
BeeR
5/31/11 6:12:48PM
Mr. Anderson is scared
Okami has great wrestling already, he could learn a few things from sonnen.

.........like.....posture up!

Okami wins!

bjj1605
5/31/11 6:20:44PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Sonnen's insights on Silva will allow Okami to have a legitimate chance. Okami is a strong middle weight and if he can learn to translate that strength into take downs and follow it up with ground and pounds with the help of Sonnen, he should be able to give Anderson a run for his money.

Anderson has looked the same over the years while Okami has improved tremendously in the stand up and in the grappling/wrestling.

I am glad Okami is finally getting his long awaited title shot. I am pulling for Okami for an upset. Here's to wishful thinking.

Anderson has NOT looked the same. He evolves more from fight to fight than anyone other than GSP. He's always adding new tools and tricks and they come out in his performances. Watch one anderson fight then watch his very next. I guarantee you will see a technique in the second that wasn't in the first, or anyother fight for that matter.
tepid55
5/31/11 6:39:38PM
Okami also worked with Sonnen to prepare for a fight with Anderson Silva at UFC 90 before a hand injury forced him to pull out of the fight.
Chael_Sonnen
5/31/11 8:20:02PM
T-Minus _ days until Okami destroys Anderson
FlashyG
5/31/11 11:05:09PM
Why wouldn't you want to work with the only guy to make Anderson look human inside the octagon.

SpiderSilva
5/31/11 11:56:49PM

Posted by BeeR

Mr. Anderson is scared

Okami wins!

have you not seen the 1st fight? okami couldn't do anything then. he isn't this time either. okami has been training with sonnen sense he lost to sonnen. okami will be KOed in the 1st
Bubbles
6/1/11 12:48:41AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by KungFuMaster

Anderson has NOT looked the same. He evolves more from fight to fight than anyone other than GSP. He's always adding new tools and tricks and they come out in his performances. Watch one anderson fight then watch his very next. I guarantee you will see a technique in the second that wasn't in the first, or anyother fight for that matter.

adding a new kick or two over the past few years doesnt mean he has evolved. he is still a dominant striker with mediocre TDD and an overrated guard
Bubbles
6/1/11 12:51:45AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by BeeR

Mr. Anderson is scared

Okami wins!

have you not seen the 1st fight? okami couldn't do anything then. he isn't this time either. okami has been training with sonnen sense he lost to sonnen. okami will be KOed in the 1st

he was soundly outstruck, but Okamis striking in that fight looked very basic. since then his striking is so much better and should be able to use his hands to set up his TDs much more effectively. Okami wasnt given a chance to do anything in that fight when Silva deliberately used an illegal kick
Chael_Sonnen
6/1/11 1:30:40AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by BeeR

Mr. Anderson is scared

Okami wins!

The first fight has no relevance.....Okami by complete, utter destruction
KungFuMaster
6/1/11 1:33:12AM

Posted by bjj1605

Anderson has not evolved as a fighter. He is still the same fighter but with a few added tools as you have mentioned which in no way qualifies him as an evolved fighter.

Okami, on the other hand, has evolved and changed some things to accommodate the competition of today. His striking has improved tremendously. His wrestling is developing as we speak. He has evolved since his last meeting with Silva while Silva pretty much looks the same.

BigBadAl
6/1/11 4:03:14AM
Anderson has not evolved + Okami has evolved = Okami win

I'd like to see how many of you guy's calling an Okami win actually put some money on it. You'd get great odds guy's, what ya waiting for?
Jekyll
6/1/11 4:34:56AM

Posted by BigBadAl

Anderson has not evolved + Okami has evolved = Okami win

I'd like to see how many of you guy's calling an Okami win actually put some money on it. You'd get great odds guy's, what ya waiting for?

If i had money to blow i would put it on Okami. As much as i dislike Sonnen he showed the formula for beating Silva. Hes got horrid wrestling, and his guard is not really that great, Sonnen sucks more then Titos ex at BJJ and it took 22 minutes for Silva to sub him. Okami is a very strong MW, and one of the most under rated MW fighters, his stiking is not close to Silvas, however his got a decent chin and good enough stiking to get in on Silva and take him down. Silva has shown hes not get good at getting up when a strong wrestler is on top of him. I think it could be a very long and boring fight, but Okami definatly has the skillset to beat Silva, if he executes the proven game plan to beat Silva.

Hes also got to watch the Karate Kid to know how to dodge that flying crane kick.
jgtribbett
6/1/11 7:31:14AM
I think that this comment by Silva isn't legit. I think he is trying to get into okami's head. If okami can pressure and TD A. Silva like Sonnen did, we'll see a new champ. Sonnen lost because of his ONE real weakness. I mean, his stand up isnt the best, but he's only had two corner stoppages early on in his career and his werstling isnt in question with anyone. I just don't see Silva out jitsing him. I think its a stalemate on the ground. Just my thoughts.
vomitshovel
6/1/11 2:26:00PM
i love it :D I can't wait for Anderson to do the same he does every time a bunch of people jump on the devil's advocate bandwagon.
The new trend is anti-trend in mma. Leads people to make ill-informed choices and forget to evaluate a fighter from a neutral standpoint instead, judging them from their own respective frame of references.
So you think Okami will do well cause he trained with Sonnen?
This isn't a video game - you can't visit someone and level up your wrestling bar.
You can't gain +10 Silva Striking Defense for training with a guy that's got more **** under the rug than a drug dealing carpet store.
Sonnen is a dirtbag and doesn't deserve to be an athlete - on a professional and personal level.
Anderson by KO or sub, what he chooses.
Jekyll
6/1/11 2:30:36PM

Posted by vomitshovel

i love it :D I can't wait for Anderson to do the same he does every time a bunch of people jump on the devil's advocate bandwagon.
The new trend is anti-trend in mma. Leads people to make ill-informed choices and forget to evaluate a fighter from a neutral standpoint instead, judging them from their own respective frame of references.
So you think Okami will do well cause he trained with Sonnen?
This isn't a video game - you can't visit someone and level up your wrestling bar.
You can't gain +10 Silva Striking Defense for training with a guy that's got more **** under the rug than a drug dealing carpet store.
Sonnen is a dirtbag and doesn't deserve to be an athlete - on a professional and personal level.
Anderson by KO or sub, what he chooses.

see you might a nice example of how little you know about Okami... e is one of the FEW Japanese fighters that cuts weight, hes a HUGE MW and one of the strongest MWs, hes also got great wrestling, and training with Sonnen will make it better. Sonnen also pretty much made a how to video on how to beat Silva. Do not forget Sonnens BJJ defense sucks more then a new hoover and it still took 22 minutes for Silva to get a sub off his back.

Silva has the advantage going into the fight, but Okami has good enough stand up to set up and shot and take the fight into his world and keep it there