Anderson Silva says that if Jon Jones agrees to, he'd be willing to work on a catchweight bout.

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva says that if Jon Jones agrees to, he'd be willing to work on a catchweight bout.
Next Page »
Shawn91111
10/18/12 3:54:14PM
What was once an impossibility seems to have become something that is routed to happen. A fight between two of the biggest names in the MMA world may finally be making the dreams of fans and passing slowly becoming reality. In an interview during a promotional event in Rio de Janeiro on Thursday, Anderson Silva has admitted for the first time, you may face Jon Jones , regarded by many as the only fighter able to overcome it in the UFC octagon, yet that unwillingly.

- "People are talking about it so much ... I have no such intention, it has something that motivates me, just because they have other athletes on my team, as Nogueira, Maldonado, Beans, Cauldron, which is the weight of it. My weight is 84kg, this is my title. But people talk so much, and we are the official UFC. Of course, I do not want to be talking, but what if he goes there and accepted the money that Dana will give him wanting to fight? It'll be difficult. It's not the money that motivates me to fight, I fight because I like it. So, I dunno ... I would not. But if it happens, would be that the weight-matched. Not worth his belt. I already got mine and I do not want to leave a title dropped."

The statement was the first Spider admitting that confrontation regarded by many as "the real fight of the century" might happen. After the press conference of UFC Rio III in the early hours of last Sunday, the UFC president, Dana White, said he will make every effort to Jon Jones and Anderson Silva would face, because that is the will of the fans.

LINK
george112
10/18/12 3:59:52PM
Make it happen Dana for the love of God

KingCmb
10/18/12 4:04:51PM
sorry andy im a little wrapped up at the moment with someone else fighting jon jones try again later
infestructure
10/18/12 4:08:18PM
You heard the man, lets get it on!
pmoney
10/18/12 4:18:38PM
Silva trucks Jones! RD 1 KO

Sweet merciful jesus they need to make this fight... Catchweight, LHW, HW, whatever works.
Chael_Sonnen
10/18/12 4:27:07PM
An-der-son would violate Jay-Jay so bad that Bonesy in a sick way would enjoy it.

Apparently young Jay-Jay is a fan of Erotic asphyxiation
LightsOUT23
10/18/12 4:27:28PM
I really dont wanna see this fight. Jones will end up beating Silva the GOAT. Old vs new, i does not interest me. I wanna see Jones fight Hendo and rematch Machida. I wanna see Silva take on Bisping, weidman or boetsch.
kingsmasher
10/18/12 4:29:59PM
People are crazy Silva doesnt have a chance.....

Put it like this...If Bones gets anyone against the cage....Say goodnight...Your going on your back....Especially Silva...

I love it....talk your way into a fight Silva....
Shawn91111
10/18/12 4:34:08PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Put it like this...If Bones gets anyone against the cage....Say goodnight...Your going on your back....Especially Silva...

Feeding the troll. Hows it talking your way into a fight when every time he's been asked he said no? If thats the top fight fans, hardcore and casual alike, why not make it?
Theoutlaw08
10/18/12 5:30:29PM
Im going to ignore of few of the past posts, cause they are plain stupid, and we all know who I am talking about.

Everyone and their mother, father, sister, brother, pet, grand child and neighbor wants to see this damn fight. Two of the most exciting champs ever in the UFC. Who wouldnt want to watch those fireworks. Everybody is so one sided with either Jones a heavy favorite and Silva the heavy favorite. All for early victories. I have no idea how to pick the fight. You take two of the best strikers around, both with great D. Winner goes to whoever can fight a mistake free fight.

Please find a way to make this happen, we need it, the UFC needs it, Dana needs, and once again we need it.
OnyxShadow
10/18/12 5:38:35PM
Probably the most dangerous fight Jon Jones could take...that said, I'd probably say he's got like a 70% chance to win.

Anderson talking catch weight makes me think he really doesn't actually want this fight. After all, he's fought at 205 three times now...one of which was like 5 minutes ago. Its hard to imagine Jones getting lower than 205 since he's one of the larger guys at LHW.

I disagree about Jones being a great striker. In a kickboxing match I think he'd lose to quite a few top fighters. Its just that he works so seamlessly between striking and the clinch and has crazy reach. I think most fighters give his striking too much respect.
Lucas
10/18/12 5:39:42PM

Posted by kingsmasher

I have no idea how you have come to this conclusion, have you ever seen Anderson Silva fight ?
george112
10/18/12 5:54:36PM
you said man. anyone who says they dont want to see this fight is a jones/silva nuthugger plain stupid, and we all know who I am talking about.

Everyone and their mother, father, sister, brother, pet, grand child and neighbor wants to see this damn fight. Two of the most exciting champs ever in the UFC. Who wouldnt want to watch those fireworks. Everybody is so one sided with either Jones a heavy favorite and Silva the heavy favorite. All for early victories. I have no idea how to pick the fight. You take two of the best strikers around, both with great D. Winner goes to whoever can fight a mistake free fight.

Please find a way to make this happen, we need it, the UFC needs it, Dana needs, and once again we need it.

This post is spot on.

Silva/Jones nuthuggers don't want this fight because it'll mean one of them has to lose

I want to point out I'm not saying anyone in this thread is a nuthugger but I know they do lurk here on the playground
kingsmasher
10/18/12 5:56:57PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by kingsmasher

Feeding the troll. Hows it talking your way into a fight when every time he's been asked he said no? If thats the top fight fans, hardcore and casual alike, why not make it?

I said talk your way into a fight cause I sincerly believe Jon Jones knows he will wipe Silva across the ring and was being respectful to the fact that Silva was avoiding a fight with him....I still dont see the fight happening...

Jon Jones has Chael, Gustaffson, Glover and who knows what else...That will keep him busy for the next couple years...By then if Silva is a true champ he will fight Weidman...Then I doubt we ever hear about Silva and Jones again...

Thing is I think Dana now has what he wants and wants to make these super fights so anyone that has a good chance of beating either...Like Weidman over Silva or Glover over Jones....Dana will do whatever to keep those fights from happening until he gets his super fights...

Dana White will soon become the Bob Arum/Don King of MMA and doesnt even know it...
prophecy033
10/18/12 5:58:08PM

Posted by Lucas

Posted by kingsmasher

I have no idea how you have come to this conclusion, have you ever seen Anderson Silva fight ?

I don't know how he comes up with 80% of his conclusions
kingsmasher
10/18/12 6:00:07PM

Posted by Lucas

Posted by kingsmasher

Yes I have he cant stop a takedown from a legit wrestler....And the only legit wrestler hes fought could barely keep Bisping down...

To test Chaels wrestling I would like to see him fight a wrestler from now like Bader....I think Bader woudl knock Chaels Block off....

My point is Chael is nobody really...He has not fought a wrestler either and Bisping who ahs good takedown defense made Chael look silly....Chael took Silva down at will but could do nothing with the position....Weidman will choke out Silva...
Theoutlaw08
10/18/12 6:02:35PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Lucas

Posted by kingsmasher

Yes I have he cant stop a takedown from a legit wrestler....And the only legit wrestler hes fought could barely keep Bisping down...

To test Chaels wrestling I would like to see him fight a wrestler from now like Bader....I think Bader woudl knock Chaels Block off....

My point is Chael is nobody really...He has not fought a wrestler either and Bisping who ahs good takedown defense made Chael look silly....Chael took Silva down at will but could do nothing with the position....Weidman will choke out Silva...

Hey buddy, sit the next couple plays out. Silva would make Weidman look foolish. Hes the best fighter in the history of the UFC. Youre being silly now. Sit them out for a few.
thevoodooninja
10/18/12 6:03:19PM
i want to see this fight end in a double KO
kingsmasher
10/18/12 6:06:18PM

Posted by OnyxShadow

Probably the most dangerous fight Jon Jones could take...that said, I'd probably say he's got like a 70% chance to win.

Anderson talking catch weight makes me think he really doesn't actually want this fight. After all, he's fought at 205 three times now...one of which was like 5 minutes ago. Its hard to imagine Jones getting lower than 205 since he's one of the larger guys at LHW.

I disagree about Jones being a great striker. In a kickboxing match I think he'd lose to quite a few top fighters. Its just that he works so seamlessly between striking and the clinch and has crazy reach. I think most fighters give his striking too much respect.

This is exactly right....Silva doesnt want this fight...A catchweight really? I can see that helping Silva since Jones I guess would have to cut weight...

Jones striking is not great but great boxers know how to use a reach advantage if they have one...Jones uses his pretty flawlessly to this point....

I dont understand why people think this is a good fight....I want to see it...Just to see Silva get beatdown...

Silva cant stop the takedown...PLain and simple....IF this was a boxing match I would give Silva a good chance...

I pray to the heavens that the oddsmakers favor Silva but I would say right now i would see it as -350 Jon Jones...

I dont think Silva could beat Rashad or even Shogun....And Jones ran through them like hot butter...
kingsmasher
10/18/12 6:11:32PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Lucas

Posted by kingsmasher

Hey buddy, sit the next couple plays out. Silva would make Weidman look foolish. Hes the best fighter in the history of the UFC. Youre being silly now. Sit them out for a few.

I totally disagree with the best in teh history of the UFC...I guess you can say that but it sound like the UFC has been around for 50 years...Silvas fought a bunch of guys that were not that good.....Jones has beaten guys that were much more well ronuded than Silva ever dreamed of.....

Oh yeah Silva has a loss on his record too...A legit loss...Also remember his performance against Thales Leites and Demain Maia....He avoided the ground if he was the best P4P he would of went there....
Sir_Karl
10/18/12 7:04:12PM
Jones vs. Silva is the only super fight that makes any sense. GSP vs. Silva makes no sense whatsoever. Jones has to tangle with Sonnen first so we may have to be patient but in the long run if both Silva and Jones still have their belts and their superiority in their divisions then a Jones/Silva fight is the right thing to do. It will be pushed as the greatest fight in MMA history. If they do fight I think Silva will win and his superior level will be clearly apparent.
ghandikush
10/18/12 7:34:22PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Jones vs. Silva is the only super fight that makes any sense. GSP vs. Silva makes no sense whatsoever. Jones has to tangle with Sonnen first so we may have to be patient but in the long run if both Silva and Jones still have their belts and their superiority in their divisions then a Jones/Silva fight is the right thing to do. It will be pushed as the greatest fight in MMA history. If they do fight I think Silva will win and his superior level will be clearly apparent.

Yeah he can practice with Andersons second round leftover straight out the fridge. Wait in line anderson...
TeamDEY
10/18/12 7:38:27PM
Money talks
sparky
10/18/12 7:51:07PM
I personally think Jones wipes the floor with Silva but you never know with this sport if Anderson scores a KO it wouldn't surprise me at all. My moneys on Jones and so is my AV if/when it happens
prophecy033
10/18/12 7:54:43PM

Posted by sparky

I personally think Jones wipes the floor with Silva but you never know with this sport if Anderson scores a KO it wouldn't surprise me at all. My moneys on Jones and so is my AV if/when it happens

I DON'T think he wipes the floor with him for the simple fact both will be weary of the other skills BUT I do think Jones wins this fight
SpiderSilva
10/18/12 8:51:42PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Lucas

Posted by kingsmasher

:-

The same weidman that couldn't sub munoz?
Poor_Franklin
10/18/12 8:55:49PM
i bet the next guy that gets a hold of JJs arm tries to break it
prophecy033
10/18/12 10:16:44PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I still don't know what Vitor was thinking
ghandikush
10/18/12 11:00:35PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I still don't know what Vitor was thinking

Rewatch the fight, he definitely popped it minorly and lost the hold. I dont buy that he popped it and let go when I watch him grimacing down on it.

Anderson could definitely win a catchweight fight against a Jones who wont be able to finish Anderson. Jones tires early in fights and continues to push hard (technically too) but Silva only needs one opening.

Anyway since Silva isnt a wrestler and has a lazyish guard defensively
and Jones will have to work much harder than silva to win

I dont have a clue how it might play out.
bjj1605
10/19/12 12:44:40AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Lucas

Posted by kingsmasher

I don't know how he comes up with 80% of his conclusions

I think we'd all be better off just skipping over kinsmasher's posts.

I love this fight though. Make it happen DFW.

Anderson Silva is on board now and I doubt Jon Jones will continue to turn down the fight after having been called out in public.
Pages: [1] 2