Anderson Silva rumored to fight Chuck Liddell at UFC 95

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva rumored to fight Chuck Liddell at UFC 95
jae_1833
11/17/08 1:41:53AM
UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva (23-4) could take another break from the 185-pound division and trade leather with former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell (21-6) in a special 205-pound match up in the works for the UFC 95 main event, according to The Sun.

Link
Ordep
11/17/08 2:21:12AM
I see this happening since the UFC kind of "owe" a Liddell main event to the UK after all the promo that he got for 85.
I'm not really interested in this fight at all. It just another maket move with a win-win situation for them. After the failure of Cote-Silva and the Rashad spoiling the potential Liddell-Griffin match, it is now..... "Liddell beat the ""#1"""(THEIR) p4p best or "Anderson beats the legend." Its just a super-fight with high marketing purposes, the winner of that fight represent a lot of $$$ for the org. but I don't see any implications in the LHW Div. Beating a Liddell coming from a devastating loss doesn't mean Silva gets a title shot (IMO) and if Liddell beat Silva (I highly doubt this) he'll still need a couple more fights and age will catch up.
jae_1833
11/17/08 2:40:16AM
True....I think that Silva will retire before ever even attemting to take a shot at the LHW title, still a cool match up. I like the super fights, reminds me of them Pride days, you know?!!
Gipper
11/17/08 2:59:48AM
nice work ufc....another superfight.
haggiswashere
11/17/08 3:02:40AM
I'm not gonna buy into it just yet. This rumor has been going around for a friggin long time.
ziegler3334
11/17/08 7:20:47AM
I agree the rumor has been going around for a while. But, maybe the fact that we are hearing about it so often means there is actually something in the works. This isn't the most interesting fight from a "what it means" perspective, as that it won't have any implications in either devision. It is a huge fight as far as marketability and excitment. anderson silva and chuck liddell are both legends and i hope we get to see this happen.

If so, it might take a while to get happening once it starts, but i see silva winning it by the second round.
jgtribbett
11/17/08 7:59:33AM

Posted by jae_1833

True....I think that Silva will retire before ever even attemting to take a shot at the LHW title, still a cool match up. I like the super fights, reminds me of them Pride days, you know?!!

i couldnt agree more haha. this kinda reminds me of liddel vs jose pele landi. i think they fought in BVT maybe.. idk for sure though.
emfleek
11/17/08 9:32:04AM
Go ahead Joe Silva...throw the wounded puppy in the cage with the wolf...
tdietel01
11/17/08 12:03:58PM
Am i the only one that thinks this fight is a waste? If silva only has a few fights left i dont want to see him fight chuck!?!? I am truly dissapointed
ufc88
11/17/08 12:23:09PM
yeah this may be Chuck Liddell's last fight before he retires.
Anderson Silva is so good fundamentally with boxing and kickboxing he is gona pick chuck apart and will see his haymakers coming from miles away...
Anderson can end this fight whenever he wants plain and simple
tooly236
11/17/08 12:25:40PM
I think Chuck puts him to sleep
Twenty20Dollars
11/17/08 12:43:24PM
Is UFC only concerned with money. Because I think they are only making this fight for draw money. This is not a good match up considering liddell has lost 3 out of his last 4 and is like 39 years old.

Dont really see this as a superfight anymore. Well hopefully its only a rumor.
monkeybrawler
11/17/08 1:14:00PM
Well in the past super fights is what everyone wanted when it was UFC and Pride. Now that they are here everyone talks about them not making since. I will say I don't agree with them giving this fight to Chuck when he is in the spot he is. If he lost to Rashad and Rampage by KO why put him in there against a former boxer. Maybe they don't see Chuck getting to the title any more so why not put him in there against big time fighters.
EvenFlow
11/17/08 2:29:35PM
Anderson will make up for what Wand didnt do in their fight, use knees and kicks! This will look like Anderson vs Leben, RIP.
king_katool
11/17/08 5:37:46PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Anderson will make up for what Wand didnt do in their fight, use knees and kicks! This will look like Anderson vs Leben, RIP.

leben rushes in with swinging, chuck waits for you to come after him( i know he chased rashad) but doubt this looks like silva/leben
WrestlersAssassin
11/17/08 7:12:38PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by EvenFlow

leben rushes in with swinging, chuck waits for you to come after him( i know he chased rashad) but doubt this looks like silva/leben

anderson is a technician, chuck and leben are not.
UFCmma666
11/18/08 4:30:48PM

Posted by tooly236

I think Chuck puts him to sleep

Chuck will be destroyed
Red-Dragon
11/18/08 4:34:31PM
I dont really want to see Chuck in the UK anymore. I would rather Silva V Shogun Ohhhhh Yeaaaaaaaaaah
GrandMaster313
11/18/08 4:46:04PM
ill believe it when its confirmed
zephead
11/18/08 5:13:49PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Gotta get in close to throw the knees. He can throw the kicks from a distance. I don't think Anderson would want to clinch with Chuck. His best bet is to just box Chuck. Dance around and see if Chuck will make the same mistake he did against Rashad.