Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones Jr. practically a done deal

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones Jr. practically a done deal
Mr_Dead_Sexy
3/25/09 6:19:57PM
UFC middleweight champion Anderson “The Spider” Silva seems to be merely biding his time until the completion of his UFC contract to finally test himself in the world of professional boxing. “The Spider” first mentioned his interest in the sweet science after he dispatched of Dan Henderson at UFC 82: “Pride of a Champion” in March 2008. And there is perhaps no boxer who has accomplished more in the sport in the past decade and a half than Jones Jr., although he could be considered past his prime despite winning four of his last five bouts. Is Anderson getting too big for his britches? Or does he have the stuff to hang with the boxing legend?

LINK
Sam_Rothstein
3/25/09 6:26:06PM
There is no way the UFC will let Anderson Silva have a boxing match against Roy Jones Jr even at the end of his career.

Why would Anderson Silva even want to do this.
nickcuc547
3/25/09 6:33:05PM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

There is no way the UFC will let Anderson Silva have a boxing match against Roy Jones Jr even at the end of his career.

Why would Anderson Silva even want to do this.

agree 100%, silva isn't going to beat roy jones with just his hands, he is in roy's wheel house and while he may be past his prime, he is still a top 10 ranked fighter who can beat anybody on any given night.
LakieMan
3/25/09 6:34:35PM
I don't see the reasoning behind this, and will be a terrible thing too do.
team_demon_fighter
3/25/09 6:40:21PM
i agree with every thing that is going to be said for most part on here.. NO reasonfor anderson to do this, but if he completes the ufc contract he can do it, ufc wouldnt have any say.. it would just be a bad and horrible choice by anderson.. can everyone please just stick with their own sport...
team_demon_fighter
3/25/09 6:41:47PM
i hope someone has told anderson that their are NO KNEES in boxing! lol
postman
3/25/09 6:45:10PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Is the reason this is going to be a fight between two of the best of there time that everyone knows that fight will make tons of cash no matter what.
Aaronno9
3/25/09 7:15:34PM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Well he did say the end of his career comes at the end of his UFC contract, so the UFC really wont have any say as to whether he fights Roy or not. I kinda hope he does. Itl humble him a little when he looses so handily and hopefully make him return to MMA.
innovater450
3/25/09 8:03:34PM
unfortunately, boxing is where the money is......never can understand why boxers get paid so much damn money while MMA guys get the shaft. Think the spider can hold his own though, but it will be a sad day when he leaves mma.
Twenty20Dollars
3/25/09 11:01:43PM
Anderson by Head Kick KO

I mean Jones Jr. wins by DQ.
RMFG_187
3/25/09 11:02:54PM
Okay heres my take,

Roy Jones Jr is far past his Prime, but is still a very big threat. His unorthodox style makes for some of the best boxing fights I have ever seen. Roy Jones has KO power and is one of Boxings best of all time.

Anderson Silva has very unorthodox Stand up too Comes in from odd angles, and throws everything at you. He picks every fighter apart in the stand up. He has Tremendous KO power, finishing at Higher percentage than anyone ever in the UFC.

But the fact still remains, Its a boxing match, not a MMA bout. you fight using different stances, different shots and different evasive maneuvers. and lets not forget its in a Rink, where A Silva hasnt had the best of his success.

All in all it makes for an interesting fight, where either Age is a factor, or Transitioning to a new sport, it will be 1 hell of a fight.

I would pick Roy Jones via UD. But never count A Silva out.
Drudinh
3/26/09 4:57:16AM

Posted by RMFG_187

Okay heres my take,

Roy Jones Jr is far past his Prime, but is still a very big threat. His unorthodox style makes for some of the best boxing fights I have ever seen. Roy Jones has KO power and is one of Boxings best of all time.

Anderson Silva has very unorthodox Stand up too Comes in from odd angles, and throws everything at you. He picks every fighter apart in the stand up. He has Tremendous KO power, finishing at Higher percentage than anyone ever in the UFC.

But the fact still remains, Its a boxing match, not a MMA bout. you fight using different stances, different shots and different evasive maneuvers. and lets not forget its in a Rink, where A Silva hasnt had the best of his success.

All in all it makes for an interesting fight, where either Age is a factor, or Transitioning to a new sport, it will be 1 hell of a fight.

I would pick Roy Jones via UD. But never count A Silva out.

Most sensible useful reply to this topic. I'd have to agree and props