Anderson Silva NOT Retirng Next Year, says his Manager

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva NOT Retirng Next Year, says his Manager
MMAcca
9/23/08 1:01:29AM
Anderson Silva’s manager says that the middleweight champion will definitely not be retiring within the next 12 months.

He made the statement after UFC middleweight champion Silva told a Brazilian television station he was thinking of quitting MMA in the coming year.

Some have speculated that the decision was prompted by Dana White’s refusal to allow Silva leave to enter into a boxing match with Roy Jones Jr.

However, his manager Ed Soares says that this is not the case and that White has a good relationship with Silva.

“Dana hasn't done anything to **** over Silva. It's the complete opposite. Dana has been very good to Anderson,” he wrote on popular message board MMA.tv earlier.

“I can guarantee you Anderson will not be retiring within the next year. He still has 6 fights on his contract.”

LINK
McBee
9/23/08 1:34:25AM
good news but I am really confused, so he is going to retire after the 6 fights are up ................and we are wasting one on Cote, who is the dumbass that thought that up
jae_1833
9/23/08 1:41:13AM
I knew it....if it sounds like BS, looks like BS, and smells like BS.....it's BS!!!
Wolfenstein
9/23/08 2:05:43AM
Six more fights under contract woohoo! I think Anderson is going to be around a long time. There's a lot he can accomplish and really make his mark on MMA.

There's probably more money in training guys for MMA ala Gokor Chivichyan, and Anderson just opened up his new school in Florida. He could also decide to pursue boxing before he enters the twilight of his years. He could eventully take a hiatus from MMA to pursue those other interests he keeps drumming up.
cmb19932
9/23/08 8:08:08AM
i want to see him fight for the ufc more like against bj gsp and even forrest but i would also like to see him box roy jones jr
JoeySteel
9/23/08 8:14:20AM
I am not sure what 12 months vs. 6 fights means. I figured that Anderson had like 6 more fights that he wanted. That seems about a year to me, maybe a little over a year, a year and 6 months. But I would not be surprised greatly to hear of Anderson's retirement by 2010.

As horribly sad as that would make me. The man has honor, a family and a legacy to worry about. Fighting until your 45 is not for everyone. I am 27 and tired with achy joint, I can't imagine how he feels.
Solidus
9/23/08 8:35:10AM
He's only 33, he could have another good 4 years in him and its not like he's a one dimensional fighter like Matt Hughes or Chuck Liddell so the sport isnt going to pass him by in that amount of time either.
finnish_line
9/23/08 8:48:57AM

Posted by McBee

good news but I am really confused, so he is going to retire after the 6 fights are up ................and we are wasting one on Cote, who is the dumbass that thought that up

Cote is the #1 contender of the division that Silva is the champion of.

The Colorado Rockies weren't replaced by the Cubs for the World Series last year for better ratings.
emfleek
9/23/08 9:35:01AM
What manager responds via a messageboard post?

4u2nv
9/23/08 10:01:13AM
hmm.... i didnt honestly think he was going to retire next year. And to be honest i think we're going to see him lose soon. I just have a feeling within his next 3 fights he's going to lose. I doubt to Cote but his next 2, watch for it. I think if he really wants to be tested at 205, someone like Page, Wandy or Shogun even Hendo can give him a run. Their all vets at MMA and i think with enough time it could be Spiders loss. But none of these fights would happen bc he sells and Dana doesn't want to see him lose, until maybe his 5 or 6 fight left on his contract. lol
loonytnt
9/23/08 10:02:41AM
i think blame him for saying he wants to tho, he has not had a fight that was a great fight. he just kills all, a lil bornin for a fighter
Boo_Radley21
9/23/08 10:08:53AM
good news
Trench777
9/23/08 10:20:49AM

Posted by loonytnt

i think blame him for saying he wants to tho, he has not had a fight that was a great fight. he just kills all, a lil bornin for a fighter

Yeah, he should apologize for being so dominant. Tone it down some, Silva, WTF? I demand a refund!

T777
finnish_line
9/23/08 10:22:36AM

Posted by 4u2nv

But none of these fights would happen bc he sells and Dana doesn't want to see him lose, until maybe his 5 or 6 fight left on his contract. lol

I believe the PPVs Silva headlines are consistently the lowest that UFC puts on (that have a belt on the line). He's not a big draw, especially considering how much they promote him.
cheesy-maggot
9/23/08 11:47:34AM

Posted by finnish_line

I believe the PPVs Silva headlines are consistently the lowest that UFC puts on (that have a belt on the line). He's not a big draw, especially considering how much they promote him.

I think that's because most people know he'll win so no reason in buying it. I know i probably wont order Silva vs Cote because i just dont want to waste already knowing that outcome.
McBee
9/23/08 12:06:48PM

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by McBee

Cote is the #1 contender of the division that Silva is the champion of.

The Colorado Rockies weren't replaced by the Cubs for the World Series last year for better ratings.

my ass he has not beat, Horn, Marquadt, Henderson, Okami, Franklin, Bisping and even loss to Leben, in what alternate universe is he the top contender?
finnish_line
9/23/08 1:14:40PM

Horn - lost to Marquardt
Marquardt - had his shot, lost, then lost to Leites even with cheating.
Henderson - had his shot, lost
Okami - lost to Franklin, later was #1 contender but got injured
Franklin - lost to Silva twice
Bisping - just arrived in MW division
Leben - lost to Jason MacDonald and KALIB STARNES

This is why none of these people are the #1 contender at this exact moment.

Cote is the only one who has been able to put any kind of win streak together (of over 3 matches). Scott Smith, Jason Day, Kendall Grove, McFedries and finally Almeida in a #1 contender's match.

He wasn't asked to fight any of the seven guys listed above, but took a different (and pretty difficult) rode to the title shot.

EDIT - to look at it another way, I don't recall anyone thinking Marquardt wasn't the #1 contender when he fought Silva.

He had a four fight UFC win streak going: Salaverry, Doerksen, Wallace, Lister. I think Cote's run is more impressive, and everybody else has had a misstep along the way.

McBee
9/23/08 1:22:26PM

Posted by finnish_line

Horn - lost to Marquardt
Marquardt - had his shot, lost, then lost to Leites even with cheating.
Henderson - had his shot, lost
Okami - lost to Franklin, later was #1 contender but got injured
Franklin - lost to Silva twice
Bisping - just arrived in MW division
Leben - lost to Jason MacDonald and KALIB STARNES

This is why none of these people are the #1 contender at this exact moment.

Cote is the only one who has been able to put any kind of win streak together (of over 3 matches). Scott Smith, Jason Day, Kendall Grove, McFedries and finally Almeida in a #1 contender's match.

He wasn't asked to fight any of the seven guys listed above, but took a different (and pretty difficult) rode to the title shot.

EDIT - to look at it another way, I don't recall anyone thinking Marquardt wasn't the #1 contender when he fought Silva.

He had a four fight UFC win streak going: Salaverry, Doerksen, Wallace, Lister. I think Cote's run is more impressive, and everybody else has had a misstep along the way.

Cote has still not beat ANYONE to gain contender status, andANY of these people even with their losses would be a better choice than him.
MMAcca
9/23/08 1:27:18PM

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by 4u2nv

But none of these fights would happen bc he sells and Dana doesn't want to see him lose, until maybe his 5 or 6 fight left on his contract. lol

That is 100% true.

Silva pulls in the least PPV buys of all the divisional champions by over 100k.
McBee
9/23/08 2:46:54PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by 4u2nv

That is 100% true.

Silva pulls in the least PPV buys of all the divisional champions by over 100k.

It has happened multiple times that the Silva fight turned out being the only entertaining fight, the rest being no names or people that do not understand how to finish.
Branwest
9/23/08 3:18:10PM
Considering that Silva is widely considered the top P4P fighter in the world, and every one of his fights are exciting, it's amazing that the PPV's don't draw more. I blame it on the other fights on the cards with him.
Sensoria
9/23/08 9:45:02PM
Listen. The same people who complain about Machida, who is actually a immensely exciting fighter, and has not boring, but beautiful fights, are the same people who dont order ppv's when Anderson fights. Theres a element of the MMA crowd that just does'nt get it. And there's an element of the MMA crowd that does. JamTrue.
McBee
9/23/08 10:15:42PM

Posted by Sensoria

Listen. The same people who complain about Machida, who is actually a immensely exciting fighter, and has not boring, but beautiful fights, are the same people who dont order ppv's when Anderson fights. Theres a element of the MMA crowd that just does'nt get it. And there's an element of the MMA crowd that does. JamTrue.

I doubt there is anyone that can watch Anderson utterly destroy someone and not think it is awesome.
finnish_line
9/24/08 3:45:37PM

I think it's his lack of English speaking.
jiujitsufreak74
9/24/08 3:51:25PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by Sensoria

I doubt there is anyone that can watch Anderson utterly destroy someone and not think it is awesome.

and to sensoria, although i agree that Machida is quite exciting, it is all subjective. you are just acting as foolishly as the Machida haters by stating your opinion as fact. you can't say someone is actually exciting when you can't speak for everyone.