Anderson Silva to Retire Next Year

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva to Retire Next Year
Next Page »
MMAcca
9/21/08 5:51:47PM
"I'll retire next year, I already gave my all. I don't need to prove anything for anyone and within one year I'll put my gloves aside."

-- Anderson Silva talking to Brazilian cable channel SporTV.

It's hard to argue against Silva's accomplishments and boredom with the landscape, but how many mega fights at 205lbs might we be missing if Silva retires? And is this too soon given his age? Shocking developments to say the least.

LINK
Princeofpunk
9/21/08 6:02:51PM
Unreal.....

jiujitsufreak74
9/21/08 6:04:09PM

motorboatensob
9/21/08 6:13:58PM
OK fist off the picture above me is a little disturbing but any way. You would have to give me a tape of Anderson saying this wearing a t shirt that says I'm Anderson Silva while his mom say come on in for dinner Anderson. I can't believe he would say that when there is so much out there for him to prove. 205 needs to be his new home also there is GSP and BJ for him to fight. Leave the B level fighters at 185 alone and fight others. I just hope he doesn't do like so others and leave then come back two years or three later to try and fight again and not be as good.
Naturaldisaster
9/21/08 6:14:25PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this sucks. anderson is the best fighter in the world.
kaduey
9/21/08 6:24:49PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Is that for real?
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/21/08 6:36:10PM
i dont know about this.....athletes do this all the time, guess im just immune to caring until it happens
jiujitsufreak74
9/21/08 6:38:50PM

Posted by kaduey

Is that for real?

it's from the movie Ken Park
sparky
9/21/08 6:57:19PM
If this statement is true that is ridiculous because there are many fighters in the world left for him to fight. If he is doing it because he wants to focus his life on something else I guess I understand. Anderson Silva is one of the best fighters the sport has ever seen shitty to hear he is thinking about retirement. This is something im not going to completely believe until it happnes.
Jackelope
9/21/08 6:59:16PM

Posted by kaduey

Is that for real?

it's from the movie Ken Park

Considering the slide or hammer never moves I'd figure that'd be obvious
Mchubb316
9/21/08 7:04:15PM
Favre said he was gonna retire, so did Lance Armstrong. I hope he doesn't. If he does I hope that the desire to fight again brings him back.
McBee
9/21/08 7:16:17PM
This is the worst new I have heard in a long time, hopefully it is not true
Rush
9/21/08 7:19:46PM
If he is still undefeated by then, yeah I see him retiring in a NY minute. However, if he loses between now and then, it might be difficult for him to bow out with that kind of impression on the fans.
Pitbull09
9/21/08 8:56:51PM
This isnt as bad as people may think. Thats still a couple of fights and you know about athletes doing this

He will pull off a Randy Couture when a dominating champ comes around and challenge him for a mega fight. Its a smart move if you ask me.
Shawn91111
9/21/08 8:58:21PM
When really is it good for a fighter or even a professional athlete to retire. Fans and the like complain when a fighter or athlete "hangs on" for too long, and then gets upset when they retire to early. Its a tough gauge to detect from a fans standpoint.
jae_1833
9/21/08 9:07:31PM
I'm calling shenanigans!!
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/21/08 9:16:28PM
he's pulling off a mayweather. Everyone shouldve seen this coming... he's f*cking immortal
Jackelope
9/21/08 9:26:43PM
I've always felt that Anderson Silva has this underlying cockiness. I can't quite love him as a fighter like I do other fighters because he has that cockiness. It's just something about him.

Anyway, I feel that it is this particular cockiness that would make him say something like this. It's like he doesn't take half the competitors out there seriously or something.

I feel that we're finally getting to a point in the MW division where contenders are being made. Palhares will stand a good chance with a little more experience, Hendo could still take it in another fight, he has yet to avenge his loss to Okami, Marquardt is looking better than ever, and the UFC could always sign Jacare, too. Why walk away from all of this?
casey64
9/21/08 9:29:29PM
I dont think he will retire.IMO
shawneth
9/21/08 9:29:31PM
Personally i think Anderson Silva is using this as a way to get the UFC to pay him more. He knows damn well that the UFC will give any amount of money away for him to keep fighting.

Even if he legitimatly wants to retire, theirs no way the UFC will let him. Like i said theyll pay anything for him to stay. Dont worry, hes not going anywhere.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/21/08 9:47:05PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

he's pulling off a mayweather. Everyone shouldve seen this coming... he's f*cking immortal

insert thumbs up
Wolfenstein
9/21/08 10:11:03PM
I would seriously doubt he's going to retire anytime soon. He's still pretty young and while he's achieved a lot I don't think he's achieved enough to leave the game behind without regrets.
emfleek
9/21/08 10:54:57PM
More power to him.
gamez0932
9/22/08 1:37:29AM
this might be bad for silva fans but if you look at his legacy, wjat other way to go out??? he has destroyed his competitors without a struggle. i am a huge royce gracie fan but i think some of his legacy was tarnished when he came back and fought hughes and sakuraba.... i think if anderson decides to go out on a high note... good for him.
TuFanboi
9/22/08 2:33:00AM
Rich Franklin '10 YES!!!!
xAcidburNx
9/22/08 3:24:12AM
this is bs. i hope cote pulls off the upset so the dude can get off the high horse. always saying hes not the best. all talk. if he truly believed what he was saying he wouldnt be bowing out like this. look at everything fedor has accomplished but hes sticking around because he believes there is good comp out there for him. fedor is p4p #1 in the world. believe it. Anderson should just stick it out and fight the bums until some new beast comes around. that way everyone can be like. "all anderson has fought lately are bums so there for hes not number 1 blah blah blah" like everyone does with fedor. then eventually get some top lvl dude and obliterate em.
4u2nv
9/22/08 9:09:10AM
i don't think i can believe that comment he made. First off he hasn't had that many accomplishments and he still has tons of fights left in him. Also he might be saying to get away fro the UFC and all its contractual BS! Maybe lay low retired for 6months to a year and then come back in another Org. or start something of his own. Who knows!?! Fedor, A. Silva and Randy could start something of their own like ECW. lol
emfleek
9/22/08 9:23:17AM

Posted by xAcidburNx

this is bs. i hope cote pulls off the upset so the dude can get off the high horse. always saying hes not the best. all talk. if he truly believed what he was saying he wouldnt be bowing out like this. look at everything fedor has accomplished but hes sticking around because he believes there is good comp out there for him. fedor is p4p #1 in the world. believe it. Anderson should just stick it out and fight the bums until some new beast comes around. that way everyone can be like. "all anderson has fought lately are bums so there for hes not number 1 blah blah blah" like everyone does with fedor. then eventually get some top lvl dude and obliterate em.

Dude, chill. It's not like he retired yesterday.

It'll play itself out.
The_Italian_Stallion
9/22/08 10:20:39AM
He'll probably retire... and then be back for a fight within a year.

Randy did it. Chuck will do it once he retires. It's natural for an athlete to get an itch once they take some time off. It's why they started in the first place.

Plus he's only doing it because he assumes he'll never lose. He assumes he will continue to beat everyone in front of him which won't happen at 205. Once Shogun or Quinton gets a crack at him I bet he won't be so quick to retire.
gsquat
9/22/08 11:55:28AM
He'll probably be back next year too. All sports' greats come back to what they love. Premature... yes. But he has done well with his time. Lets not forget, fighting is different from other sports. You can only (safely) fight for so long.
Pages: [1] 2