Anderson Silva gets rematch with UFC 162 loss; with win, superfight on table

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva gets rematch with UFC 162 loss; with win, superfight on table
FastKnockout
7/1/13 5:36:43PM
Anderson Silva's record-breaking run in the UFC has earned him an immediate rematch should Chris Weidman take his middleweight title on Saturday at UFC 162.

"I'd do the rematch the next fight," UFC President Dana White on Monday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Guy hasn't lost in the UFC ever, has beat everybody. He loses that fight, he's the guy for a rematch if he wants it."

Link
FastKnockout
7/1/13 5:41:02PM
I'm pulling for Silva but this is BS. If he loses, he loses. What's the point of putting the belt on the line if there will be an automatic rematch if he loses?
frizzzlecake
7/1/13 5:56:59PM
TRT-Rex won't be pleased.
Patchedup15
7/1/13 5:58:22PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm pulling for Silva but this is BS. If he loses, he loses. What's the point of putting the belt on the line if there will be an automatic rematch if he loses?

Money, Money, and he earned it.
FastKnockout
7/1/13 6:11:37PM

Posted by Patchedup15

Posted by FastKnockout

I disagree with the whole 'earned' it view. You earn a chance at the belt by fighting top contenders. If you lose the belt, you should have to make your way back up. GOAT or not.
Webbie
7/1/13 6:24:10PM
I'm cool with it.

As many immediate rematches as there's already been I don't see why Anderson should be denied the same opportunity.
FlashyG
7/1/13 6:27:01PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Patchedup15

Posted by FastKnockout

I disagree with the whole 'earned' it view. You earn a chance at the belt by fighting top contenders. If you lose the belt, you should have to make your way back up. GOAT or not.

In most cases I'd agree, but even with a loss Anderson would still be the top contender.

I think once you've held and defended the belt more than a couple times you've earned the right to rematch the person who finally beats you.

If Weidman beats him to take the title, he should be able to beat him again in a rematch.
grappler0000
7/1/13 6:32:08PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Patchedup15

Posted by FastKnockout

In most cases I'd agree, but even with a loss Anderson would still be the top contender.

I think once you've held and defended the belt more than a couple times you've earned the right to rematch the person who finally beats you.

If Weidman beats him to take the title, he should be able to beat him again in a rematch.

SpiderSilva
7/1/13 6:35:53PM
Can't wait for the super fight!
jae_1833
7/1/13 6:41:00PM
This would be no where near as bad as some of the others that have happened...not that it's going to happen...Silva vs Jones is going to happen!
sparky
7/1/13 6:54:12PM
it's almost like the UFC is expecting the Spider to take a loss.
SpiderSilva
7/1/13 7:09:34PM

Posted by jae_1833

This would be no where near as bad as some of the others that have happened...not that it's going to happen...Silva vs Jones is going to happen!

cowcatcher
7/1/13 7:13:43PM

Posted by sparky

it's almost like the UFC is expecting the Spider to take a loss.

I'm guessing someone asked him the question straight out and he was just answering.

I'm okay with them giving him the instant rematch more than any other fighter on the roster. As a fan it's nice to see different fighters matched up every single time, but Silva has earned his chance to call a lot of the shots as long as he keeps fighting and keeps winning. Plus if Weidman wins there is going to be a decent sized part of the fans saying that it was a fluke, so a rematch would settle it for the reasonable folks in that group, and of course there will be the others that will always insist they were both lucky/flukish wins should Weidman win 2 fights. I'm personally thinking the superfight is where this is going though, so it won't matter what Dana said anyway.
JoeWarren33
7/1/13 7:13:53PM
With the rematches Edgar got, there is NO QUESTION Silva deserves a shot right away. Anderson is the best fighter ever in the UFC and his winning record in the UFC is the best out of anyone, why would anyone complain or question? I hope the people up in arms now, were losing it when Edgar or others got immediate rematches.
UFC_Fanatic
7/1/13 7:51:44PM
Only way I think he would deserve an immediate rematch if he loses is if it is like Rua vs Machida 1 and it ends in him losing a very close and controversial decision. But if from the opening bell he gets dominated and especially if he gets finished, then for no real reason for a rematch.
FastKnockout
7/1/13 8:19:14PM

Posted by JoeWarren33

With the rematches Edgar got, there is NO QUESTION Silva deserves a shot right away. Anderson is the best fighter ever in the UFC and his winning record in the UFC is the best out of anyone, why would anyone complain or question? I hope the people up in arms now, were losing it when Edgar or others got immediate rematches.

Edgar's immediate rematches were due to close decisions, just like Machida/Shogun. If Silva loses a close decision where a lot of fans think he did enough to win, sure set up an immediate rematch. If he straight up loses by one sided decision or stoppage, then I don't agree with it. He had his time as champion, either work back up the rankings or move on. But that's just my opinion.
emfleek
7/1/13 8:36:53PM
I have no problem with him getting a rematch when he loses.

JoeWarren33
7/1/13 8:37:57PM

He had his time as champion, either work back up the rankings or move on. But that's just my opinion.

Work back up the rankings?
Weidman has barely worked up the rankings to earn a shot first of all, and second. Where do you put Anderson in the rankings if he loses?
FastKnockout
7/1/13 8:42:52PM

Posted by JoeWarren33

He had his time as champion, either work back up the rankings or move on. But that's just my opinion.

Work back up the rankings?
Weidman has barely worked up the rankings to earn a shot first of all, and second. Where do you put Anderson in the rankings if he loses?

Not in the #1 contender position for sure. At least let him fight someone in top 5 before a rematch.
Theoutlaw08
7/1/13 8:57:34PM
I don't think the UFC will have to worry about setting up a rematch.
War silva
RacingHartPurple
7/1/13 8:59:37PM
I find it funny that he has this stipulation now and never before, it's almost like they expect him to lose....
jjeans
7/2/13 6:39:59AM
A champion for 7 years. Who the hell does he have to beat to get a rematch?

Belfort? He beat him, no point just because he's hot right now... 2-0
Bisping....
Rockhold
Munoz/Boetsch
Okami III

See my point. None of these deserve a 3 round fight with the GOAT.

Only guys I could justify him beating to deserve a title shot are 205ers who could go to 185.
Rashad
Shogun
Hendo

But deep down I think we all know he shouldn't have to beat anyone to get a title shot.
Webbie
7/2/13 3:33:47PM

Posted by FastKnockout
If Silva loses a close decision where a lot of fans think he did enough to win, sure set up an immediate rematch. If he straight up loses by one sided decision or stoppage, then I don't agree with it.

Yeah, I don't completely disagree with this. I do feel that if Anderson loses he'll still be the top contender at 185, but if it's a completely one-sided, 25 minute domination, like the first Silva/Sonnen fight minus the submission in the 5th round, than I'm not sure anyone would really want to see that fight again.

I'm still okay with it either way, though.