Where does Anderson Silva rank in LHW division?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Where does Anderson Silva rank in LHW division?
POLL: LHW Rankings: Anderson Silva
16+ 15% (7)
11-15 26% (12)
6-10 33% (15)
2-5 22% (10)
1 4% (2)
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/21/08 2:46:53AM
just curious what the majority would say....

i say top 10
joshryanshepherd
7/21/08 2:48:27AM
im not a fan what so ever of Anderson and cant wait for him to lose so you know i wouldn't be biased by saying he is top 5
RNC
7/21/08 2:55:42AM
Top 5.
Copenhagen
7/21/08 3:02:50AM
Cant and RNC, you both have Silva as #1 P4P on your playground list, yet ya'll don't say he is ranked #1 in the LHW. If you think Silva is #1 P4P, and he is able to make 205 (which he is) why wouldn't you vote for him #1 LHW? I'm just curious. (I know many people have different opinions on what P4P means.)
juanez13
7/21/08 3:45:57AM

Posted by Copenhagen

Cant and RNC, you both have Silva as #1 P4P on your playground list, yet ya'll don't say he is ranked #1 in the LHW. If you think Silva is #1 P4P, and he is able to make 205 (which he is) why wouldn't you vote for him #1 LHW? I'm just curious. (I know many people have different opinions on what P4P means.)

P4P doesnt have anything to do with them fighting at different weight classes IMO, because BJ penn is considered the best P4P doesnt mean he can beat every other guy in the other weight classes.

P4P is taking a fighters skills and matching them against the other top fighters. Like in terms of skill how does he match up against fedor for example? does he have better wrestling, BJJ, strikingg, etc......to think that being P4P best means being able to beat other champs at higher weight classes IMO is ridiculous, of course it can be done, but that has nothing to do with being P4P best
jkdskinhead
7/21/08 5:25:07AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Copenhagen

P4P doesnt have anything to do with them fighting at different weight classes IMO, because BJ penn is considered the best P4P doesnt mean he can beat every other guy in the other weight classes.

P4P is taking a fighters skills and matching them against the other top fighters. Like in terms of skill how does he match up against fedor for example? does he have better wrestling, BJJ, strikingg, etc......to think that being P4P best means being able to beat other champs at higher weight classes IMO is ridiculous, of course it can be done, but that has nothing to do with being P4P best

That being said.. I think 205 is a rather natural weight for Anderson.. and now that I think of that.. I may have to lower him on my list till I see him fight some harder competition at 205.. Anderson had to cut alot of weight before.. he could easily weigh in for heavyweight.. most guys his size are fighting LHW.. I think p4p you gotta include your natural weight or what most guys your size are fighting at, not the one weight class your dominating in..

I think Pacman is the best p4p because he can destroy guys at his natural weight, not just the guys he cuts 20 lbs for.
skatenate
7/21/08 6:32:33AM
he looked more stronger and more solid at 205, id say top 5 easily.
pv3Hpv3p
7/21/08 10:06:39AM
somewhere from 15-20 for me... Basically just replaced James Irvin's slot... I wouldn't have a problem putting him up there, but give him a compellling fight, not a one trick (straight right) pony...

No offense to James, but his bread and butter is his straight right hand and he's going up against the most dangerous striker out there... I can't imagine too many people were surprised by the outcome of this fight...

Anderson did smash him but good though
DCRage
7/21/08 10:16:50AM
Top 10. Hard to make a really fair judgment based on one fight, but it was impressive enough to put him in at least the bottom half.
Copenhagen
7/21/08 12:07:09PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Copenhagen

Figured it was the case of different definitions of P4P. For me P4P means if everyone weighed the same weight, who would be the best. Everyone has their own definition.
Aaronno9
7/21/08 1:06:37PM
At this point if i had to rank him he wouldnt be top 20. James Irvins a good fighter, but one win over him does not equal top 10 status when other fighters like lil nog and arona have been beating guys as good and better than irivn at 205 for years and are still ranked outside of the top 10. He needs at least 3 wins in the divison before ill even consider putting him in my top 10.

Skill wise, id have him top 5 easily, but skill wise id have fedor ranked at number one in all the divisions and that just doesn't seem logical.
emfleek
7/21/08 1:23:54PM
I wouldn't bother ranking him in the LHW division.

I think this was a one and done deal...at least until he loses his belt.
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/21/08 1:24:31PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Copenhagen

Figured it was the case of different definitions of P4P. For me P4P means if everyone weighed the same weight, who would be the best. Everyone has their own definition.

if everyone weighted the same weight then travis lutter would never get to come in 4 lbs. over....

but ig et what ur sayin copenhagen
Jipper
7/21/08 1:45:06PM
He ranks right above James Irvin .
king_katool
7/21/08 1:47:46PM
rankings can be confusing sometimes becasue if yu were to ask me to rank guys based on skill it would be COMPLETELY different as to if i ranked the through achievements, so for sake of arguement SKILL wise i say anderson is EASILY top5, but i wouldnt rank him top 10 yet if he KOs a top 10 like he did james he'll jump right in my rankings but not yet
MFOTHER
7/21/08 1:55:52PM

Posted by king_katool

rankings can be confusing sometimes becasue if yu were to ask me to rank guys based on skill it would be COMPLETELY different as to if i ranked the through achievements, so for sake of arguement SKILL wise i say anderson is EASILY top5, but i wouldnt rank him top 10 yet if he KOs a top 10 like he did james he'll jump right in my rankings but not yet

perfect.
stock
7/22/08 4:57:09PM

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by king_katool

perfect.

I agree. I think it is tough to rank a guy that was just moving up for 1 fight, AND that one fight is not against a top 10 guy.

I choose to only rank guys in 1 weight class, so as long as he is the MW champ and continues to fight there, I will leave him off my LHW rankings.
soundboy1
7/22/08 5:13:01PM
I would put him at number two. If you watch all his UFC fights he has been so thoroughly dominant, I don't see how you can rank him any lower. Forrest holds the belt so he gets number 1. I do think Anderson Will destroy the lhw class though..
jkdskinhead
7/22/08 9:52:20PM

Posted by soundboy1

I would put him at number two. If you watch all his UFC fights he has been so thoroughly dominant, I don't see how you can rank him any lower. Forrest holds the belt so he gets number 1. I do think Anderson Will destroy the lhw class though..

Defeating a B fighter, and being dominat in a lower weight class doesnt prove anything to me. The LHW division is stacked, and he'll have to prove himself against an army of bigger, stronger, and more talented men then he was fighting before. I dont think those wild shots are gonna land on Forrest or Machida.. I dont think his chin will handle Jackson or Liddel.
king_katool
7/22/08 10:22:12PM

Posted by jkdskinhead

Posted by soundboy1

Defeating a B fighter, and being dominat in a lower weight class doesnt prove anything to me. The LHW division is stacked, and he'll have to prove himself against an army of bigger, stronger, and more talented men then he was fighting before. I dont think those wild shots are gonna land on Forrest or Machida.. I dont think his chin will handle Jackson or Liddel.

When did anderson start throwing wild shots? its common knowledge he is the most accurate strike in MMA, and just because the statement bugs me anderson would KO chuck sooooo bad, chuck is losing his power age is catching him he would not be able to hit anderson never mind KO him
jkdskinhead
7/22/08 11:01:59PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by jkdskinhead

Posted by soundboy1

When did anderson start throwing wild shots? its common knowledge he is the most accurate strike in MMA, and just because the statement bugs me anderson would KO chuck sooooo bad, chuck is losing his power age is catching him he would not be able to hit anderson never mind KO him

I didnt mean wild, as he flings them recklessly into the air, I ment they are wild because they come from crazy ass angles.

If he wants to get in a crazy exchange with chuck, let him, theres a good chance he'll get caught like most of the people that try to trade with chuck.. Where is there any proof that Chuck lost his power? He hasnt landed any big shots in a while, the last time he did he knocked the guy out.. Just because your not landing big shots doesnt mean your power is gone.
RNC
7/23/08 12:44:07AM

Posted by jkdskinhead

If he wants to get in a crazy exchange with chuck, let him, theres a good chance he'll get caught

If they ever fight be sure to hit me up for an av bet.
1daveufc
1/13/09 3:46:30PM
top 5 a wud say but a think he wud end up number 1after a few fights.
jiujitsufreak74
1/13/09 3:48:19PM
i don't have him ranked at LHW since he has the belt at MW. NJ Penn is going to mess up my rankings if he beats GSP because i hate ranking champions of other divisions in a different division.
Wolfenstein
1/13/09 3:56:22PM
He took one fight at LHW, so I don't have him ranked at all as a LHW. I would only rank him as a LHW if he were to have two fights in the LHW division within the year.
telnights
1/13/09 4:27:30PM
I wouldn't rank him as number 1 because I think that goes to the tittle holder of the UFC because its such a stacked weight class in the UFC and right now he only has 1 fight at LHW in the UFC and that fight was against a guy that wasn't even a top ten. I would put him in the top 5 just based on the fact he is the #1 P4P fighter in the world and the fact he made very short work of James. He also isn't at a size disadvantage fighting at LHW.
EvenFlow
1/14/09 12:45:56AM
I think he's one of few that could win the LH belt while holding MW gold if he didnt plan on retiring soon. I wanted to see how much further he could go but since UFC champs cannot retire as champs he has to lose sometime.

As far as rankings, I never cared for them so.. no comment.
mrsmiley
1/15/09 9:30:54AM
Anderson is one of the best fighters in the world right now,but honestly,I consider MW to be a weaker division.Not a bad division,just in comparison to LHW,MW doesn't seemed as stacked.
However,that in no way shape or form belittle's Anderson's skill as a mixed martial artist.I think Anderson could easily sucseed at any weight class he wanted.

However,I have to put him at the bottom of the LHW top 10.Not because I believe his skills are inferior to the other 205 fighters,but that division is so stacked,to put him in the top 3 or 5 seems to be a huge disservice to all the fighters at the top of the LHW food chain.
cowcatcher
1/15/09 9:49:08AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Anderson is one of the best fighters in the world right now,but honestly,I consider MW to be a weaker division.Not a bad division,just in comparison to LHW,MW doesn't seemed as stacked.
However,that in no way shape or form belittle's Anderson's skill as a mixed martial artist.I think Anderson could easily sucseed at any weight class he wanted.

However,I have to put him at the bottom of the LHW top 10.Not because I believe his skills are inferior to the other 205 fighters,but that division is so stacked,to put him in the top 3 or 5 seems to be a huge disservice to all the fighters at the top of the LHW food chain.

well said. to expand, im with whoever it was that said that with another fight or 2 i would rank him somewhere in the top 10, but 1 fight against a guy thats not in the top 10 wouldnt get anyone else into the top 10, and even though he is who he is i cant do that with him either.