Anderson Silva Still To Pursue Boxing Career

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva Still To Pursue Boxing Career
MMAcca
11/27/08 1:24:37AM
The UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva left the octagon at UFC 90 saying that he’d be on the way to Thailand to work on his Muay Thai skills, but the trip didn’t happened. “I didn’t went there yet, I’m waiting for my documents. I can’t go out of here (USA) while I don’t get my Green Card, I only can go there next week”, said Anderson, who’s using his free time in America to work on his boxing. ”I’m training Boxing in the Freddie Roach’s gym a time ago, I went to New York for the fight of Roy Jones Jr. and I’m training a some boxing here here”, told Anderson, who watched the fight in witch Roy was defeated by Joe Calzaghe in the judges unanimous decision. “It’s in my plans, it’s one of my personal projects”, commented Anderson about a possible departure to the rings of Boxe after the retirement in MMA.

LINK
cmill21
11/27/08 1:49:48AM
If Dana wants to keep him, he better let him box...
Wolfenstein
11/27/08 1:56:54AM
Anderson is a world class MMA striker, and potentially muay thai striker if he were to choose mto do muay thai and K1 proffesionally.

Boxing is a different beast though, and he's not going to have the same success. I've seen him box, and he's good, but I wouldn't say they're elite. His record is 1-1 (granted both fights were 7 years apart) but I just don't think he possibly has an oppurtunity to make a mark in boxing.

I'm behind him if he wants to fullfill his dream. You can hate on someone for trying to fullfill his dreams, but in the same respect I think sometimes you have to choose what is more important to you, and that may entail letting some dreams die. I mean we can't all be Bo Jackson, cause I mean...well...Bo knows.
kasual
11/27/08 2:16:54AM
For sure Anderson is a super talented striker, but I heartily agree that good Muay Thai and a non-traditional striking style are going to make for a very effective transition. So much of Anderson's attack is based on knees and kicks and terrorizing less experienced guys. In boxing he is going to find guys who are going to pursue him and lay into him and they're going to want to do it for 12 rounds.

I would agree that seeing him in a super fight with a guy like Roy Jones would be interesting, plus Anderson would land a pay day that would never leave him wanting for money again. If for those reasons alone I see it as worthwhile, just don't expect Anderson is beat a guy like Roy or any top ranked boxer
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/27/08 2:33:48AM
Anderson can do what Anderson wants. That's a perk of being the champ!
jocka
11/27/08 7:36:45AM
I think he should try it, man can you imagine the paycheck, the pfp best fighther (so they say) vs a boxing superstar wow the publicity would be crazy. I don't watch boxing anymore but i would for sure watch that fight :)
EvenFlow
11/27/08 8:35:41AM
worst thing ive heard in awhile, hopefully its untrue
higdon10
11/28/08 1:14:50PM

Posted by kasual
I would agree that seeing him in a super fight with a guy like Roy Jones would be interesting, plus Anderson would land a pay day that would never leave him wanting for money again. If for those reasons alone I see it as worthwhile, just don't expect Anderson is beat a guy like Roy or any top ranked boxer

Any top ranked boxer would destroy Silva.
Sledge23
11/28/08 4:23:46PM
very bad for the sport of mma.
In all of the dispute between boxing and MMA for MMA to lose one of its top fighters to boxing is really bad for the reputation of the sport. not to mention he will probably get beat.
kris_ericson
11/28/08 4:35:26PM

Posted by higdon10

In MMA or boxing?
MMAcca
11/28/08 4:39:49PM

Posted by kris_ericson

Posted by higdon10

In MMA or boxing?

Boxing
kris_ericson
11/28/08 4:40:24PM
It all depends on who
MMAcca
11/28/08 4:44:07PM

Posted by kris_ericson

It all depends on who

So suggest to me a top ranked fighter (in his weight class) who Anderson would beat....
Jim_Dangle
11/28/08 5:16:00PM

Posted by kris_ericson

It all depends on who

Anderson wouldn't beat any fringe contenders. Top guys would blow him out without effort.
kris_ericson
11/28/08 5:34:49PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by kris_ericson

It all depends on who

So suggest to me a top ranked fighter (in his weight class) who Anderson would beat....

i dont know much about boxing but i heard he might fight Roy Jones Jr
so ill say roy jones jr
higdon10
11/28/08 5:37:46PM

Posted by kris_ericson

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by kris_ericson

It all depends on who

i dont know much about boxing but i heard he might fight Roy Jones Jr
so ill say roy jones jr

Roy Jones would crush Anderson Silva.
kris_ericson
11/28/08 6:26:17PM
yea i know