The Anderson Silva Problem

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Anderson Silva Problem
Next Page »
Chuteboxer
9/22/08 1:05:11PM
As we all must know by now, he's thinking about retiring next year. He doesn't believe there's any challenges for him left.

I was thinking this morning during class about who he could fight that would keep him in MMA for a little while longer. All of a sudden it hit me. Forget Randy Couture; what about Anderson fighting Fedor instead?

I mean, sure, It'd be quite a weight disadvantage; and yeah, it most likely will not happen. But if Anderson's truly the world's greatest fighter, he should want to test that, wouldn't he?

At any rate, I wondered what your thoughts would be regarding such a fight.
Cdellorso
9/22/08 1:07:47PM
too big too strong- Anderson VS Hendo rematch
RNC
9/22/08 1:18:56PM
I'd love to see him go against GSP, or winner of Wandy/Rampage
pv3Hpv3p
9/22/08 1:44:58PM
I think it'd be a good fight (anderson/fedor)... If Fedor could cut weight and fight him at light heavy, there really shouldn't be a problem, IMO...
hippysmacker
9/22/08 1:58:35PM
Unless I see a transcript in English of the entire interview i will just take this with a grain of salt., in the hopes that is taken out of context Whenever someone releases a snippet, or blurb of a interview only to advertise it for viewing I get suspicious. I once read a movie review after the fact in the usatoday where the reviewer said he was expecting the best movie of the summer, but was let down when the movie dragged on 20 minutes longer than necessary. Then I see the " best movie of the summer" USAtoday- quote in a commercial. They are technically not lying ,as those words were used in the review, but the cut & paste job is a gross distortion of the reviewers meaning. I am hoping this is taken out of context as well.
DCRage
9/22/08 2:31:18PM
I was thinking about the matchup ideas earlier, the problem is it almost has to be MW or LHW unless they can talk a WW into a catch weight fight. Lightweights obviously are out, I don't think Heavyweight would work even though Lindland moved up for the Fedor fight. For WW perhaps a catch weight fight at around 177-178 would be enough to get a Silva-GSP fight to happen. Otherwise, I'd point to Japan.
Twenty20Dollars
9/22/08 4:22:08PM
Im not buying into this silva retiring thing and i would say a fight with gsp would be a last challenge.
JimiMak
9/22/08 4:37:23PM
I'm not buying the no challenges thing. He could step up or he could set himself as being dominant in a class for years. When did that cease to be something a fighter would want to do? Longevity is the key to greatness.
AlfredBorden
9/22/08 4:39:20PM
Either gsp penn or gsp silva would be dream matchups that are 100x more likely than a silva fedor fight. But after silva dismantles cote there wont be much left for him in the ufc mw division, a big shakeup is imminent,
mkiv9secsupra
9/22/08 4:54:09PM
If Silva thinks he doesnt have any challenges then lets see what he can do at 205 where he doesnt have the height and massive reach advantage.

It also sounds like he might be overlooking Cote a little bit. smells like an upset in the works
haggiswashere
9/22/08 5:00:11PM
I won't believe it til i see a more credible source cover it or see a video of it directly from his mouth.
AlfredBorden
9/22/08 5:27:16PM

Posted by haggiswashere

I won't believe it til i see a more credible source cover it or see a video of it directly from his mouth.

*directly from his translators mouth
scoozna
9/22/08 5:39:16PM
I'm not buying it.

Who wouldn't want to stick around and dominate for a while, collecting a increasingly bigger paycheck with each contract?
dannyfrank
9/22/08 6:28:50PM

Posted by JimiMak

I'm not buying the no challenges thing. He could step up or he could set himself as being dominant in a class for years. When did that cease to be something a fighter would want to do? Longevity is the key to greatness.

i dont think that is going to retire, but him not wanting to dominate a division for a long time is probably true. im sure that silva wants to be challenged, not to just sit on the top and dominate everyone they throw at him. it gets boring for a fighter like silva after a while
JoeySteel
9/22/08 6:58:27PM
I love anderson. My love is so deep it is just first names for us.

But I think it is possible he could quit, and I don't think it is the end of the world. At first I was really upset, but then I remember, no MMA fighters stay retired very long. Also he is the best, watching him fight is the incredible, but after he has both the 205 and 185 belt, 6 fights from now, there will be no one left. He can't fight everyone in the world, and he can make room for other fights.

Retire with us knowing he is the best, KNOWING.

I would like to see him fight live before he does this, but alas NYS sucks. And I am poor.
Biggz
9/22/08 7:41:11PM
I agree that GSP would be a great fight for him, however i think one person has looked better and better with each fight at MW and that is Bisping, i think if he beats Leben, he would be close to a fight with Silva, and i really think Bisping would have a good fight against him. and even if he gets done with the MW division, the LHW divison is just way too deep for him to retire without fighting any of those guys, and any one of the top 5 LHW would give him a great fight.
sparky
9/22/08 7:42:52PM
Anderson cant be serious there are so many fighters left in the world he hasnt fought yet and hes still in his prime. I hope this is all just BS!!
AlfredBorden
9/22/08 8:19:24PM
I think as of now, bisping would be the greatest challenge for him of the MWs. However, no way he could stand with silva, only chance he would have would be to take silva down early and gnp him without getting caught in that deadly triangle he caught lutter in.
AxeMurderer97
9/22/08 11:17:19PM
The thought of this coming out of his mouth makes me think he's a coward. We all know he's a great fighter, but is he possibly dodging the 205 division?
Not saying he is, but it sure seems like he doesnt want to throwdown with any top notch 205's.

And didnt Silva's manager say "He wont fight GSP until GSP wins some fights"?

There are so many matches out there for Silva.
I still would like to see Marquardt/Silva 2, and Hendo/Silva 2 at 185
Then looking at 205 we have Shogun, Rampage, Forrest, Thiago, Machida...

Not to mention some up and comers like Goran Reljic and Demian Maia
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/22/08 11:45:25PM
there is no problem. he's the p4p best fighter on the planet (other then fedor). There are way too many challenges left for him to retire within in a year. The competative erge is too strong. Just look at couture for an example .
Aether
9/23/08 12:57:49PM

Posted by AxeMurderer97

The thought of this coming out of his mouth makes me think he's a coward. We all know he's a great fighter, but is he possibly dodging the 205 division?
Not saying he is, but it sure seems like he doesnt want to throwdown with any top notch 205's.

And didnt Silva's manager say "He wont fight GSP until GSP wins some fights"?

There are so many matches out there for Silva.
I still would like to see Marquardt/Silva 2, and Hendo/Silva 2 at 185
Then looking at 205 we have Shogun, Rampage, Forrest, Thiago, Machida...

Not to mention some up and comers like Goran Reljic and Demian Maia

Rofl... I love it when people sitting at home typing on their computers start calling professional fighters "cowards". The guy has spent his life getting into cages and rings to fight the most dangerous fighters in the world. So if he doesn't jump weight classes to appease a bunch of keyboard warriors on MMA forums it must be because he's afraid, right?

Maybe it's because he's a middleweight, has fought at middleweight for his entire career, and doesn't feel like fighting at a different weight class (in which one of his best friends and close training partner is a contender) to impress people on the internet.

What a ridiculous statement.
Ben_Hutch
9/23/08 8:44:02PM
Anderson now isn't retiring.

Silva fights the rest/re-matches the MW division, if he wins all his fights he moves up to LHW and takes on the top few.

I don't know what my point is its to late over here.
RNC
9/23/08 11:32:39PM

Posted by Biggz

I agree that GSP would be a great fight for him, however i think one person has looked better and better with each fight at MW and that is Bisping, i think if he beats Leben, he would be close to a fight with Silva, and i really think Bisping would have a good fight against him. and even if he gets done with the MW division, the LHW divison is just way too deep for him to retire without fighting any of those guys, and any one of the top 5 LHW would give him a great fight.

I disagree. Anderson Silva would be a terrible fight for Bisping. This is just another situation of everything you can do, I can do better. All Bisping really has is his striking, and there is no arguement that Silva is better there. Then, there is JJ, which undoubtably, Silva has Bisping there as well. Finally, Bisping has no wrestling backround, therefore, putting him on the same level as Silva. Not to mention, the whole size advantage angle went out the door after we saw Silva size up Irvin, so Bisping doesn't even have that going for him. To conclude, Silva will out strike Bisping and knock him out, late first, early second... whenever he feels like it.

The person who is going to beat Anderson Silva is going to be someone with a good shoot and excellent ground and pound. That is not Michael Bisping.
haggiswashere
9/24/08 1:01:41AM
Hendo is the only one in the runnings who has a chance. if he learns from his mistakes from last time he could do POSSIBLY
kingkicker
10/2/08 7:52:56AM
That sounds better than patric cote he's going to get smashed
cowcatcher
10/2/08 8:03:48AM
at first i dismissed the TS's idea of match with fedor, but the more i think about it, the more id like to see it. its not happening in the ufc unless some major turn of events goes down, but as far as dream matches go i would really like to see this. sure anderson would be a dog, and deservedly so, hes the smaller man and the guy across from him will be named fedor(by the way shouldnt the name fedor be taken off of the list for possible names for kids, i mean who else can live up to it. its like naming your kid chuck norris, but i digress). i want to see anderson go into a fight at this point in his career as an underdog and see if it helps or hurts his game because right now his confidence is a huge plus for him. when he steps into a fight, he basically knows hes going to win, so what happens if he starts to question himself a little?
Nitrus
10/2/08 10:58:26AM
There's a program here in Brazil, called MMA Sensei, and in one of these program, Anderson was the guy interviewed. He said it again, that he wants to retire next year. He said that he done what he had to do, and there's nothing left. We can understand this being like "There's no opponent for me".

But man, i don't believe that too, i think its only strategy to hype him, and his salary grow up considerably. Maybe he retires, and come back as Randy did against Tim Sylvia, don't know, but I think it's that what he'll do, "retire" do some fight for money and come back.

I think Anderson can give us some great matchups, such as Silva x GSP, Silva x Hendo II, Silva x Liddell, Silva x Griffin and a lot of more!

Silva x Fedor will not happen, Fedor is much more bigger than Silva, Silva need to bulk up like he never did, and if he does that, he'll get slow...and Silva speed and accuracy is the best of his game.
JohnnyNapalm
10/2/08 12:56:38PM
Silva vs Fedor???

That ain't no Roy Jones vs Johnny Ruiz in a ring the size of a football field where the ref allows Jones to play his game.

In other words, that just insane.

Crocop can't deal with Fedor but people believe Silva can move up to LHW and Fedor move down and make a fight of it? WTF? Yeah, Fedor would have to move down to LHW and in the process bring himself to near death to give Silva a chance. Look at Fed's physique - you think there's a LHW waiting to burst outta there

Come on people, let's get back to reality. Anderson has plenty of dudes to fight at LHW that can give him trouble without worrying about the possibility of being crushed by the most dominant fighter in MMA history.

STOP THE INSANITY

CwB
10/2/08 7:40:49PM
i personally dont like it when fighters retire before they lose a couple a times.

if anderson goes undefeated this next year which is very possible i would hate to see him retire.

but if thats what he wants then nothing but respect to the guy for being so damn dominate.
Faze
11/6/08 7:40:05PM
No challenges he will take he should say. Hes to scared of Lyoto and Filho.
Pages: [1] 2