Anderson Silva: "I Prefer Him [GSP] Over Jon Jones, He's Smaller, I'll Be Hit Less"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva: "I Prefer Him [GSP] Over Jon Jones, He's Smaller, I'll Be Hit Less"
Next Page »
Shawn91111
10/16/12 12:24:03PM
Anderson Silva says he prefers a fight against Georges St-Pierre over a showdown with Jon Jones, insisting the Canadian would be an easier challenge. Silva disposed of Stephan Bonnar in simple fashion at UFC 153 on Saturday, and talk instantly turned to who he would face next. Welterweight king St-Pierre is the mooted opponent, although Jones also enters the super-fight reckoning.
UFC president Dana White guaranteed he will make the Silva v Jones bout, but the Brazilian wagged his finger in disagreement.

"I'm old, guys," Silva said. "I'm getting old. I'm retired. I'm nearly there. I've only got another five years.

"I think [GSP] would be a great challenge for me. I prefer him over Jon Jones. He's smaller. It'll be a little bit easier. I'll be hit less."

LINK
prophecy033
10/16/12 12:35:04PM
I'll get hit less? WTF? Come on Anderson, you're in a combat sport, you're gonna get hit. Plus you're the most dominate MMA fighter on the planet and you're talking this shit
Bubbles
10/16/12 12:38:42PM
5 years isn't "nearly" retired I'll bite my tongue on the rest of it
FastKnockout
10/16/12 12:49:03PM
I'm fine with him facing GSP. It was the "it" fight a year or two ago and I'm still interested. Let JDS deal with Jones.
ghandikush
10/16/12 12:54:13PM

Posted by Bubbles

this^ I have an Idea he intends on only fighting pnce a year or something in which case he cant pick his opponents like he's been wanting to lately. He IS getting old but come on....

Also dont hate on the hit less comment I mean fighters in champion spots are thinking similar things all the time, but Anderson has been very blunt lately. I would admire it if not for all the drama and pickiness he's had as of late.
Chael_Sonnen
10/16/12 12:58:52PM
Hit less?

If you count getting jabbed a 100,000,000 times in one fight LESS then good for you An-der-son

On a side note Anderson, thanks for coming out to the Sonnen BBQ this past Sunday....good times!
thevoodooninja
10/16/12 1:02:58PM
at andee
airkerma
10/16/12 1:15:00PM
Honestly I just want to see him fight Weidman. GSP and Jones will have a few contenders to deal with, why push for a superfight when all of the divisions have unfinished business?
ncordless
10/16/12 1:26:23PM
I'd like to see him fight Jones before Jones moves up to HW. GSP/Anderson has lost some of its luster due to GSP's injury. GSP needs to clear out his division again before they hold the WW title up again for a superfight. Plus, it seems like Anderson/Jones is a little more equal in the size department than Anderson/GSP. All three are huge for their weightclass, but GSP is noticably smaller than Anderson whereas Anderson looks bigger than some of the LHWs that Jones has fought.

The winner of Anderson v. GSP/Jones would be the undisputed GOAT in my eyes. But I think Jones/Anderson is more intriguing. Shell out the paydays Dana, and let's see if either Anderson is ready to put that capstone on hisw career or Jones is ready to take the crown.
bjj1605
10/16/12 1:39:52PM

Posted by ncordless

I'd like to see him fight Jones before Jones moves up to HW. GSP/Anderson has lost some of its luster due to GSP's injury. GSP needs to clear out his division again before they hold the WW title up again for a superfight. Plus, it seems like Anderson/Jones is a little more equal in the size department than Anderson/GSP. All three are huge for their weightclass, but GSP is noticably smaller than Anderson whereas Anderson looks bigger than some of the LHWs that Jones has fought.

The winner of Anderson v. GSP/Jones would be the undisputed GOAT in my eyes. But I think Jones/Anderson is more intriguing. Shell out the paydays Dana, and let's see if either Anderson is ready to put that capstone on hisw career or Jones is ready to take the crown.

I don't think Anderson is huge for his weight class at all. He's smaller than tons of MWs out there. I'd say he's pretty much average for a MW.

I agree about the other two though.
meier
10/16/12 1:53:44PM
Spider vs bisping jones vs sonnen or cormier
emfleek
10/16/12 2:07:02PM
Anderson be trollin y'allz.

grappler0000
10/16/12 2:27:09PM
I think Anderson understands business enough to know he should fight GSP before Jones. Hypothetically, if Anderson were to open a can of whoop-ass on Bones, Zuffa couldn't even ethically put a WW in there with him, regardless of who it is. However, if he does the same to GSP, the demand for Silva/Jones goes through the roof.
Theoutlaw08
10/16/12 2:27:40PM

Posted by Bubbles

Same here. 5 years isn't even close, if he fights another 2 to 3 times a year, that puts in at 10+ more fights. Thats pretty damn long for a fighter if you ask me.

For him to say hit less is a bit off tho. Maybe not as hard would be more accurate. But GSP throws a lot, just not a lot of power shots like Jones does.

I like Silva a lot, but was not a fan of this comment. Youre a fighter and youre gonna get hit. Thats why its odd he said it, he has great striking D as well.

Either way. I like Andy's chances against both, more so against GSP then Jones. Jones is young and fierce on his feet and the ground. Any strike can finish it. GSP really is the any stike can finish it kind of guy.
Manak
10/16/12 2:32:15PM
Wow, I know andy has proven is #1 spot but really: "I'll be hit less "...

but I dont see how either jones or andy turn down the fight once they see $$$$$

an espn article quoting Dana:

"But he's at this point in his career where there are super fights for him. I don't know when it's going to be over for him. But I know this: The Georges St. Pierre fight is a big fight. I think the Jon Jones fight is a big fight.

"I know my man says 'no, no, no' to Jon Jones, but the amount of money that will be offered for that fight, he will say 'yes, yes, yes.' "

White went on to say he likes the idea of holding a Silva-Jones fight at Dallas Cowboys Stadium.

"I'll be negotiating with Anderson and his crew," White said. "He has a contract for two more fights and he said he wants to fight for five more years.

"I'd love to sign him to 55 more years."
machodog76
10/16/12 3:30:56PM
I think it's a funny and refreshingly honest comment. He could spout a bunch of BS about GSP having the bigger name and being the greater challenge more important to his legacy etc. Instead he tells the truth, it's an easier fight.
Shawn91111
10/16/12 3:52:57PM

Posted by emfleek

So he does want to fight Jones?
bjj1605
10/16/12 3:55:39PM

Posted by emfleek

do you really think thats what he's dong?

If so it worked and its very funny.
george112
10/16/12 4:12:50PM
I don't think Anderson was serious with his comments.

5 years isn't close Anderson. Come on dude
infestructure
10/16/12 4:59:01PM

Posted by meier

Spider vs bisping jones vs sonnen or cormier

Bubbles
10/16/12 5:15:05PM

Posted by bjj1605

I don't think Anderson is huge for his weight class at all. He's smaller than tons of MWs out there. I'd say he's pretty much average for a MW.

He was almost the same size as Bonnar the other night

How can you say this but say GSP is "huge" for WW when guys like Condit, Kampmann, Shields (when he was a WW), Maia, Alves, Hughes, Dan Miller, among others are bigger than he is. Anderson comfortably fights at LHW, that in no way shape or form is an "average" MW
bjj1605
10/16/12 5:20:18PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

He was almost the same size as Bonnar the other night

How can you say this but say GSP is "huge" for WW when guys like Condit, Kampmann, Shields (when he was a WW), Maia, Alves, Hughes, Dan Miller, among others are bigger than he is. Anderson comfortably fights at LHW, that in no way shape or form is an "average" MW

I don't know what the hell you're smoking but you should share.

Anderson Silva is TALL but he isn't BIG. He's a very thin guy.

Okami, Belfort, Franklin, Cote, Marquardt, Sonnen, and Leben are all "bigger than him."

Basically he's been the smaller man in every MW fight he's had in the UFC except for Maia, Lutter, and Leites.
Cooler
10/16/12 5:26:57PM

Posted by prophecy033

I'll get hit less? WTF? Come on Anderson, you're in a combat sport, you're gonna get hit. Plus you're the most dominate MMA fighter on the planet and you're talking this shit

It was a joke, settle down brosef.
Bubbles
10/16/12 5:30:35PM
well then both are in the same boat. You say Silva is "average" but GSP is "huge", I say Silva is "huge" and GSP is "bigger but not near the biggest"...if anything both are the same relative to their division
infestructure
10/16/12 5:51:19PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by prophecy033

Are you uncomfortable? Prophecy stop scaring people
Cooler
10/16/12 5:54:46PM

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Cooler

Posted by prophecy033

Are you uncomfortable? Prophecy stop scaring the children

Huh, no but the other poster is uncomfortable with a joke.
prophecy033
10/16/12 6:14:44PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Cooler

Posted by prophecy033

this really made me laugh. I wasn't even bent out of shape. You acted like I bashed him or something. I even gave him respect in the middle of the post
shaneTpain
10/16/12 6:17:11PM
Let Spider underestimate GSP all he wants, hes in for a big surprise if this bout ever comes into fruition.
infestructure
10/16/12 7:09:52PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Cooler

Posted by prophecy033

What you think is a joke. Get over it. People get angry from time to time, telling people to 'settle down' does not advance the conversation in anyway but to raise ire, especially online.
prophecy033
10/16/12 7:18:12PM
No real need for us all to get irked over what I posted. I don't mind being called out for what I write, I mean, its an open forum, right. I wasn't uncomfortable with what he said at all but maybe a little ignorant cuz I thought it was serious. My bad I've already messages cooler about it so we should be cool. Next time, ill wait until I'm fully awake to post a reply
Pages: [1] 2