Anderson Silva vs. BJ Penn

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Anderson Silva vs. BJ Penn
disorderlyvision
3/9/08 7:27:38PM
I metioned this fight in another thread just curious to how you guys think it would go. everyone is talking bout anderson moving up or down. penn has fought from 155-205. they are both favorites of mine. i think it would be an awesome match personally.
Pookie
3/9/08 8:44:58PM
I'd pick bj, although i think silva would win.

Never bet against BJ!
Twenty20Dollars
3/9/08 9:10:25PM
I think BJ should get a rematch with Machida.

or Rich franklin should go up to 205 and rematch machida.
Pookie
3/9/08 9:13:46PM
How bout Anderson Silva vs. Machida too , that would be a good match-up in all seriousness.
SpiderSilva
3/9/08 9:38:41PM
I say Silva would beat BJ in the stand up but BJ would destroy Silva on the ground BJ is on another level when it comes to BJJ
warglory
3/9/08 9:48:24PM
BJ seems to have a harder time when he moves up in weight, and he would have a big trouble with Anderson who I think would finish him in the first.
Pookie
3/9/08 9:51:17PM
If it happened at 170 i would definitely give it to bj, the weight cut + bj's superhuman-jelly-bone flexibility = rear naked choke.
postman
3/9/08 9:51:55PM
BJ, Machida, and GSP are the best fights for Anderson right now. BJ is not great at 185, Machida and andserson fight in the same gym, so the only Super fight I see working is GSP.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/10/08 8:45:32AM

Posted by Pookie

I'd pick bj, although i think silva would win.

Never bet against BJ!

rabbit915
3/10/08 11:14:26AM
I would say i give this one to Silva. The key here is his height. He is such a great striker that he could leverage his height advantage to keep BJ at a distance. If it did end up on the ground, Silva can use his long legs to his advantage to keep BJ at bay long enough to get the ref to stand them up where the striking domination continues.
juanez13
3/10/08 11:28:17AM

Posted by rabbit915

I would say i give this one to Silva. The key here is his height. He is such a great striker that he could leverage his height advantage to keep BJ at a distance. If it did end up on the ground, Silva can use his long legs to his advantage to keep BJ at bay long enough to get the ref to stand them up where the striking domination continues.

agree.
mrliquid
3/10/08 5:41:49PM
I would pick BJ but I don't see the fight happening I think BJ is where he belongs right now same with Silva the guy is winning against the best in the division he has no reason to move up or down I wouldn't mind seeing Machida fight Anderson though it would be a tough fight to pick especially with Machida on a roll.
balack_o-bama
3/17/08 7:40:25PM

Posted by Pookie

How bout Anderson Silva vs. Machida too , that would be a good match-up in all seriousness.

Yah, yah it would. But they are training partners. Along with the Nogs, Vitor Belfort, and others
JimiMak
3/17/08 8:57:51PM
Tough fight for me. Even tho BJ doesn't look great at larger weights I don't think he's been stopped in a fight above 170. He's still not bad, and that's a weird perspective when you're talking about him.

Andersen could get the KO or BJ could get a dec or sub. Other scenarios are less likely, but it could go any way depending on BJ's conditioning and a slew of variables.

I wouldn't even try to pick until like a week before the fight. Just go on gut feeling at the time.
Pookie
3/17/08 9:01:24PM

Posted by JimiMak

Tough fight for me. Even tho BJ doesn't look great at larger weights I don't think he's been stopped in a fight above 170. He's still not bad, and that's a weird perspective when you're talking about him.

Andersen could get the KO or BJ could get a dec or sub. Other scenarios are less likely, but it could go any way depending on BJ's conditioning and a slew of variables.

I wouldn't even try to pick until like a week before the fight. Just go on gut feeling at the time.

The only time hes been stopped is against hughes, when he broke his rib and was crucifixed.

To me that really isnt a tko, more like a check mate.
masodd
3/17/08 10:02:10PM
WOW thats all i can say i would love to see this
casey64
3/17/08 10:05:12PM
I would love to see this happen
mkiv9secsupra
3/18/08 1:13:35AM
BJ Penns skill level isnt any less than Anderson's its just that size difference would let Anderson control the entire fight. It would be a stalemate in the field of BJJ but BJ at 185 might be able to overpower Anderson into a submission but thats only if he doesnt get picked apart before he took Anderson down.

It would be a good fight but i dont think it would be really close at all. Anderson by UD(in a 3 round fight.)