Anderson Silva P4P

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anderson Silva P4P
CAboulderer
9/14/07 8:14:39PM
I apologize if this has been discussed alot before, I'm new here. I don't understand why most people are not ranking AS as at least top 5 P4P. I have him at 3, and believe it or not, close with Shogun for 2. I can back that up with legitimate arguements, but thats not the point of this post. Anderson has proven that he is the best fighter now that he has ever been. He may have beaten fighters like leben and lutter, but he obliterated leben, which is not the same as just winning, and there is a big difference between beating lutter, and subbing him with a triangle at his own game after double knee surgery. On top of that, he dominated a top 10 fighter in Marquardt from standing, his back, and on top. Most of all, he didn't JUST beat a top 2 or 3 fighter (at the time) in Rich Franklin. Franklin had dominated bunches of proven middlewights, but Silva obliterated him in a fashion the I feel should influence his rankings more than almost any other fight. Furthermore, people are asking, "if he beats Franklin and Hendo doesn't drop down, is there anybody who even has a remote chance of winning that fights in a major organization? The only other fighter with questions like that is Fedor. After his most recent fights, how can we say that Hendo, Jackson, or even Coutre are that dominant P4P? Okay, now flame away...

Lay_N_Pray
9/14/07 9:42:56PM
I agree with you, heres my top three: 1. Fedor 2. Anderson Silva 3. Shogun

I think Silva at a catch weight could beat Shogun...I know it would be a fight I would love to see. But yeah, Silva's Muay Thai is in a whole different universe, I have said it once and I will say it again...I believe he is the most proficient striker in MMA today. No wasted energy whatsoever, its all effective
nubby
9/14/07 10:22:27PM
/Flame Retardent: On

Anderson Silva needs to face better competion, mainly I see him needing to face at the very minimum Dan Henderson. The middle weight division seems to be the weakest UFC division right now and IMO in order to be a P4P top 5 guy you need to be facing very dominant competition.

loonytnt
9/14/07 11:05:38PM
thats what i think to he needs to fight dan
Lay_N_Pray
9/15/07 12:32:44AM
I agree with you guys that I would love to see him fight Dan...but I cant agree with you when you say you always have to fight top competition to be top 5.

I hate to bring this up again like many people do, but look at Fedor. He is the consensus number one, and i believe he is. However, I can admit he hasnt fought a top contender in a while now yet he has been number one forever. So I think Silva can still hold onto that second or third spot even with a weaker division.

And at least he is active unlike Rua, I know its not his fault, but Silva has been fighting and he did beat a fighter in Marquardt who is pretty highly respected amongst us MMA fans here on the boards.
nubby
9/15/07 12:37:03AM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I agree with you guys that I would love to see him fight Dan...but I cant agree with you when you say you always have to fight top competition to be top 5.

I hate to bring this up again like many people do, but look at Fedor. He is the consensus number one, and i believe he is. However, I can admit he hasnt fought a top contender in a while now yet he has been number one forever. So I think Silva can still hold onto that second or third spot even with a weaker division.

And at least he is active unlike Rua, I know its not his fault, but Silva has been fighting and he did beat a fighter in Marquardt who is pretty highly respected amongst us MMA fans here on the boards.

I know what you're saying about Fedor. But at least in the Heavy Weight Division Fedor could come to the UFC and get some real good competition... where could Silva go?
johny_rotten
9/15/07 12:46:19AM
Anderson is definitely top 5 P4P. It just so happens another 185lber is in there as well in Dan Henderson. The UFC isn't sending Anderson scrubs he is just making the look like scrubs. Everyone thinks Franklin is overrated now because Anderson made him look silly, but before that fight the majority of people here picked Rich in that fight. They also had him reigning at champion for years to come. Nate M isn't a joke either. I think he has been the king of Pancrase since Leonidas was killed. Anderson also holds wins over Horn, Lee Murray, Newton, and Sakurai.

Forget about the rankings though. Over the past 2 years Anderson Silva with out a doubt has been the most exciting MMA fighter to watch. 4 of his past 5 fights have ended by some of the most viscous KOs in the sport.
johny_rotten
9/15/07 12:52:58AM

Posted by nubby

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I know what you're saying about Fedor. But at least in the Heavy Weight Division Fedor could come to the UFC and get some real good competition... where could Silva go?

You nailed it. The top 185lb fighters resemble the witness relocation program with how scatterd they are. Henderson is at 205. Filho is in the WEC. Lindland is...in a lot of corenrs. Where is Lindland fighting? Kang is lost in the Pride mess. Honestly right now Elite is putting on the best 185lb showcase. Ninja/Lawler tomorrow. Baroni vs Shamrock just a couple months ago. Cung Le lookiing like a huge rising star. Hopefully Dan will move down, and there will be a clear cut 185lb champ. Then maybe guys like Kang and Lindland will step up.
warglory
9/15/07 4:55:26AM

Posted by johny_rotten

Anderson is definitely top 5 P4P. It just so happens another 185lber is in there as well in Dan Henderson. The UFC isn't sending Anderson scrubs he is just making the look like scrubs. Everyone thinks Franklin is overrated now because Anderson made him look silly, but before that fight the majority of people here picked Rich in that fight. They also had him reigning at champion for years to come. Nate M isn't a joke either. I think he has been the king of Pancrase since Leonidas was killed. Anderson also holds wins over Horn, Lee Murray, Newton, and Sakurai.

Forget about the rankings though. Over the past 2 years Anderson Silva with out a doubt has been the most exciting MMA fighter to watch. 4 of his past 5 fights have ended by some of the most viscous KOs in the sport.

Not to mention he basically had Okami beat until he delivered that damn upkick, that's another competant middleweight he schooled. Yeah Silva is in the top 5 for sure, and the best middleweight in the world p4p.
Pride-Fighter
9/15/07 10:20:32AM
He can only be considered top 5 if he can beat the likes of Ryo Chonan and Daiju Takase, oh wait.
johny_rotten
9/15/07 12:39:10PM

Posted by Pride-Fighter

He can only be considered top 5 if he can beat the likes of Ryo Chonan and Daiju Takase, oh wait.

3 years ago has nothing to do with today.
Pride-Fighter
9/15/07 11:19:57PM
Apparently Chonan has signed for the UFC. A rematch is on the cards I think.
NatedawgThaM
9/15/07 11:54:31PM
I have him 5 or 6 behind the obvious Fedor, Rampage, Shogun, Randy, maybe I think I have Dan in front of him...

I would have him top 3 if I never saw that Silva-Lutter fight. Silva was hoorible on his back besides the Triangle! When Lutter ha dhim in mount all he did was put his hands up mummy style.

I think Hendo would destroy him because his knees wont KO his rock solid chin and plus if Dan gets him down Anderson wont submitt him Dan would pound him out but thats just my opinion...
Jackelope
9/16/07 3:15:56AM
Once we get over with the rematch between him and Franklin, and then a match between him and Hendo we'll be able to secure a top spot for him on the p4p list. If he beats both I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be #3. If he were able to somehow face Lindland after both of those fights and win in that fight, too I would even argue #1 spot for him.
matthughes23
9/16/07 3:47:29AM

Posted by Jackelope

Once we get over with the rematch between him and Franklin, and then a match between him and Hendo we'll be able to secure a top spot for him on the p4p list. If he beats both I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be #3. If he were able to somehow face Lindland after both of those fights and win in that fight, too I would even argue #1 spot for him.

i think if he beats Franklin then Hendo, he should be at least a top 5 spot in the P4P rankings