Anderson Silva opens as more than 13-to-1 favorite vs. Stephan Bonnar at UFC 153

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva opens as more than 13-to-1 favorite vs. Stephan Bonnar at UFC 153
infestructure
9/13/12 10:45:42PM
~LINK~

Move over, Matt Serra. There's a bigger underdog in town.

Early lines on UFC 153's new main event, which features a light-heavyweight non-title bout between middleweight champ Anderson Silva and Stephan Bonnar, are lopsided in Silva's favor.

Silva is a more than 13-to-1 favorite and has up to a 93 percent chance of winning the fight, according to BestFightOdds.com, a site that features betting lines from several online bookmakers.

At one point, Serra was a +700 underdog when he fought Georges St-Pierre for the title at UFC 69. The winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 4" wound up scoring the biggest upset in UFC history when he unseated the champ.

Bonnar, who has won his past three fights but recently had signaled his imminent retirement, is up to a +850 underdog on several sites. That means he has an approximately 10 percent chance of winning the fight.

~LINK~
BuffaloDave
9/13/12 10:57:42PM
Bonnar just tweeted this,

@StephanBonnar
What!!! I'm only a 13 to 1 underdog vs Anderson? I must be better than I thought

followed by this a few mins later,

No i don't...but i do have a death wish RT @brucewolcott: @stephanbonnar @spideranderson DO U HAVE LIFE INSURANCE? Lol
infestructure
9/13/12 11:12:37PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

@StephanBonnar
What!!! I'm only a 13 to 1 underdog vs Anderson? I must be better than I thought

No i don't...but i do have a death wish RT @brucewolcott: @stephanbonnar @spideranderson DO U HAVE LIFE INSURANCE? Lol

Poor Bonnar. So much respect for him now, more than ever before. What a wicked dude, steps up to the plate like a lamb to the slaughter. Jon Jones just got shown up big time.
sbulldavid
9/13/12 11:40:32PM
I don't know why he is such a huge Dog...not that I think he will win but he's capable of taking Silva down or banging with him for short exchanges or in tight.
prophecy033
9/13/12 11:40:39PM

Posted by infestructure

Posted by BuffaloDave

@StephanBonnar

Poor Bonnar. So much respect for him now, more than ever before. What a wicked dude, steps up to the plate like a lamb to the slaughter. Jon Jones just got shown up big time.

Damn right he did, and rightfully so. He had a far better chance then Bonnar does and Bonnar is making fun of himself. I fucking LOVE that dudes sense of humor. He's game for whatever and that's why he's a legend (that and the fact that him and Forrest showed the world what heart is).

Mad props Mr. Bonnar, Mad props
Aether
9/14/12 12:01:09AM
lol, I wouldn't give him a 10% chance. He has a good sense of humour about it, at least.
meier
9/14/12 12:43:48AM
I wonder if anderson (who's nickname is the spider) silva drinks five alive before his fights?
Chael_Sonnen
9/14/12 12:54:35AM
Bonnar is a STUD, he will fight like a true warrior to the bitter end......

We all know he won't cry like a little baby and run (really slow) out of the building like he just got assaulted on the playground like what's his name......

War Bonnar
cowcatcher
9/14/12 2:06:47AM
There are people out there that HATE Bonnar(Fleek) and I never understood it. His sense of humor is great, he makes fun of himself so he's clearly not an ego-maniac, and he's entertaining as hell to watch fight more often than not. I love the guy and I really hope he has a good showing against Silva even if a win is pretty much out of the question.
bjj1605
9/14/12 2:18:25AM
Wow....

they are giving Bonnar really good odds.

infestructure
9/14/12 3:18:57AM

Posted by meier

I wonder if anderson (who's nickname is the spider) silva drinks five alive before his fights?

What does that even mean?
Bubbles
9/14/12 8:19:48AM
I wonder what the PG odds will be
airkerma
9/14/12 10:02:15AM

Posted by cowcatcher

There are people out there that HATE Bonnar(Fleek) and I never understood it. His sense of humor is great, he makes fun of himself so he's clearly not an ego-maniac, and he's entertaining as hell to watch fight more often than not. I love the guy and I really hope he has a good showing against Silva even if a win is pretty much out of the question.

I hate him as an announcer because he sounds absolutely blazed out of his gourd, but as a person and a fighter I like him. Don't really know how anyone couldn't
Either way, I'm putting at least 10$ on Bonnar, I think it's well worth the risk.
ghandikush
9/14/12 10:20:44AM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by cowcatcher

I hate him as an announcer because he sounds absolutely blazed out of his gourd, but as a person and a fighter I like him. Don't really know how anyone couldn't
Either way, I'm putting at least 10$ on Bonnar, I think it's well worth the risk.

Ive always had a dislike for him because he always sounds crazy as shit and never seemed to evolve past a Vale Tudo style.

After he did this though, shit, who couldnt like him? I give him more than a buster douglass 30-1 but absolutely have respect now. Hopefully he exits career on a tv fight he can win so we can give him a solid goodbye.
Boo_Radley21
9/14/12 11:53:57AM
Bonnar is huge and has a way better chin than Forrest Griffin. I think he could pull a decision out of his ass in this one. Is it a five round fight? Because if so maybe not
Bythar
9/14/12 12:58:10PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Bonnar is huge and has a way better chin than Forrest Griffin. I think he could pull a decision out of his ass in this one. Is it a five round fight? Because if so maybe not

As far as I know it is 3 rounds.
JLS1980
9/14/12 1:53:30PM

Posted by Bythar

Posted by Boo_Radley21

As far as I know it is 3 rounds.

That is correct. It will be a 3 round fight according to an article I read. This is a piece of the article.

The upcoming main event between Anderson Silva and Stephan Bonnar will be contested over three rounds, according to MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani. The bout will take place in October at UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar.

tcunningham
9/14/12 7:11:43PM
i cant help but think to myself, "why the fuck is this fight happening?" did i miss the punchline?
JLS1980
9/15/12 1:31:03AM

Posted by tcunningham

i cant help but think to myself, "why the fuck is this fight happening?" did i miss the punchline?

The fight doesn't make any sense. Dana White even said this fight makes no sense. But with the Main and Co-main getting cancelled in the same day they had to put something together and quickly. So the replacements are instead of Aldo vs Edgar in the Main. You have Silva Vs Bonnar. And basically Maldonado is feeling in for Rampage. So the Brazilian fans should be happy about this.
bjj1605
9/15/12 2:22:02AM
I actually think the fight will be exciting.

First, we might get a chance to see Anderson do something crazy and exciting.

Second, even though there's a really small chance that Bonnar wins this fight, it would be one of the greatest upsets in sporting history if he did. Even the chance for such a big underdog win is enough to get my blood pumping.
tmas
9/15/12 4:43:35PM
two of my favorite fighters at one time my #1 and #2 fav fighters cant fucking wait this is sick!