Anderson Silva's New Strength

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anderson Silva's New Strength
MASTERofPUPPETS
4/19/09 6:24:33PM
Everyone has been talking about Anderson Silva being number one is pound 4 pound, but what I saw last night was a new aspect of his game.

We all know that he is a good striker, wrestler, submission, etc... But now there is a new aspect of his game. Now people that get into the cage with his are scared to death, Teites was afraid to even go in with him, not one punch was thrown for like 2 minutes into the fight. He has intimidated his opponents so much that they are just plain scared to even get anywhere near him in a fight, i am sorry, but his fights are beginning to just suck
Wallass
4/19/09 6:25:39PM
Agreed.
UFCmma666
4/19/09 6:28:58PM
i just think he needs to start fighting people who are in there to win instead of say how long they survived with anderson silva people who leave it all in the octagon like hendo or marquardt hell even leben fought anderson silva leites and cote did not fight
nickcuc547
4/19/09 6:29:37PM
leites was dreadfully scared, but you have to admit silva could have finished him off and decided to dance instead, both guys take the blame on this one, leites more so though.
Twenty20Dollars
4/19/09 6:45:13PM
well thales isnt an amazing striker.
loonytnt
4/19/09 6:53:03PM
no
Franklinfan47
4/19/09 7:24:59PM
Anderson is a genius He's managed to find a way to defeat opponents without doing much of anything at all.
SpiderSilva
4/19/09 7:42:21PM
yes when Silva entered the cage and the camera went to Thales he looked like holy **** WTF did I get myself into. Silva had him so scared he my get fired for his performance who the hell falls over hell at least go for the takedown don't fall over
CwB
4/19/09 8:15:24PM

Posted by MASTERofPUPPETS
i am sorry, but his fights are beginning to just suck

Might be jumping the gun a little bit just wait until he has an oponent worth fighting. two bad fights in a row compared to the 7 great fight in row...
madchaodizzys
4/19/09 10:37:42PM
OK, we all know Silva's got some serious talent, but you wouldn't know it by watching his last 2 fights. During the last 5 round snooze fest, the crowd was chanting " G S P!!!", and he WASN"T EVEN FIGHTING THAT NIGHT. That should be some indication that these totally lame matches are bad for the sport. These are CAGE MATCHES, not dancing competitions. Throw down and get some, for chrissakes.
sclasclemski
4/19/09 11:18:15PM
It was less than a year ago...Last July...where we saw Anderson destroy james irvin in about a minute...isn't it possible that he's just bored with what he's doing or really has just had some "off" nights....It does suck that his last two fights haven't been demolitions but you know...it happens
NatedawgThaM
4/19/09 11:26:36PM
I agree! It's not him that's killing these fights and making people think GSP & Fedor would kick his ass. Every other person he dominated and stopped came to fight. They actually wanted that belt and were trying their best. So I give mad love to them for their big heart. Cote & Thales just really didn't attack for the belt. They were hesistant so it's not Silva's fought. I actually didn't hate either fight though, they were like really technical boxing matches and I don't mind watching those on FNF's at all.
chickmagnet
4/20/09 3:22:58PM
Anderson is still the best p4p, he didnt have a bad performance, Thales did. I would like to see him fight at LHW next, against an aggressive guy like Luiz Cane. That would be a very exciting fight because Cane will always bring it. I think Cane is a legit test for Silva as well.
the_01
4/20/09 3:43:13PM
For an experienced eye, Anderson was amazing that night, he did some karate moves that I never thought could be manipulated in a real fight.. The knee side kick, the ankle thing from behind, the stances, the head moves, etc. The guy is too good to be true. I bet my paycheck that he could have KO'd (whats his name??) in the first round, but he wanted to show off and give mma fans some new tricks. Sure, that wasnt exciting, but he did moves that other fighters find impossible. Others go in to win, he wants to have fun.
DJDark41
4/20/09 8:18:44PM
He could have EASILY finished off Thales Leities, but to do so, he was going to have to put himself in a position where Thales could have finished him off just as easily. So to all you people who are upset because he didn't give you another highlight reel knockout, look at it from his point of view. He was doing what he had to do to win, and in the end, that is the most important part.
bls1919
4/20/09 8:29:47PM
Intimidation is definatly a factor and IMO his patience is great. Training with Lyoto Machida is paying off for not only Machida but the Spider as well.
State_Champ
4/21/09 11:37:37AM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Anderson is a genius He's managed to find a way to defeat opponents without doing much of anything at all.

ncordless
4/21/09 11:45:56AM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Franklinfan47

Did you say the same thing when Tim Sylvia was winning the same way?

If anything, Anderson did show some improved wrestling. He was using underhooks to shuck of Thales, and actually sprawled instead of just pushing.
Jackelope
4/21/09 11:56:48AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Franklinfan47

Exactly. This is coming from someone who constantly defends Sylvia, too. At least he moved forward with his jab.
Franklinfan47
4/21/09 12:04:18PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Franklinfan47

If anything, Anderson did show some improved wrestling. He was using underhooks to shuck of Thales, and actually sprawled instead of just pushing.

I thought the sarcastic undertone of my statement was obvious, but apparently not. So to clarify, I was joking.
soundboy1
4/21/09 7:22:32PM
Anderson Silva is a blackbelt in bjj. why would he be scared to fight leites on the ground?
MASTERofPUPPETS
4/22/09 7:37:28AM
Anderson Silva may be a black belf, but that doesn't mean anything against another black belt, Silcas black belt is only another thing that be can beat his opponents with, but Leites is a TRUE master of BJJ that is right up there with the greatest in the world at the art of BJJ
mentalcase
4/22/09 8:42:30AM

Posted by Franklinfan47

I thought the sarcastic undertone of my statement was obvious, but apparently not. So to clarify, I was joking.

its hard to tell what tone you are useing when reading a forum post
Franklinfan47
4/22/09 11:27:25AM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by Franklinfan47

its hard to tell what tone you are useing when reading a forum post

So im learning.

But I agree with Master of Puppets, one black belt in jj does not automatically mean you are equal to another black belt in jj, Thales is a more advanced bjj master.
State_Champ
4/22/09 12:50:07PM

Posted by UFCmma666

i just think he needs to start fighting people who are in there to win instead of say how long they survived with anderson silva people who leave it all in the octagon like hendo or marquardt hell even leben fought anderson silva leites and cote did not fight

I was mad when Cote held up his three fingers to the crowd to signal that he'd lasted three rounds with Silva as if that was a big deal. I thought challengers were supposed to want the champion's belt real bad but....

Both Leites and Cote have shown awful performances. (And yes, I do blame them. They lost)