Anderson Silva to Give Up Middleweight title and make move to LHW permanent

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva to Give Up Middleweight title and make move to LHW permanent
Next Page »
POLL: What career move would you like to see for Anderson Silva?
Keep middleweight belt and go after LHW title 43% (68)
Scrap middleweight belt and go after LHW title 26% (42)
Keep middleweight belt and fight at LHW but not Lyoto 16% (25)
Scrap middleweight belt and fight at LHW but not Lyoto 6% (9)
Stay at middleweight 4% (7)
Retire from MMA and go fight Roy Jones Jr. 5% (8)
miphi1991
8/9/09 2:29:32PM
scobac
8/9/09 2:36:07PM
here is the link to that story Link
miphi1991
8/9/09 2:42:16PM
What I want to know is why give up the MW belt? He can defend it once a year and still fight plenty at LHW. It should take about a year for any MW fighter to earn a title shot against him. Giving Leites the shot like that was ridiculous. He went from belt contender to losing on the undercard in two fights...
Aether
8/9/09 2:48:07PM
Because he's already pretty much beaten them all. Why not just focus on one division if you feel like there's no challenge in the other one? Whether he has the actual belt or not he's already proven himself as the king of 185.
scobac
8/9/09 2:52:46PM

Posted by miphi1991

What I want to know is why give up the MW belt? He can defend it once a year and still fight plenty at LHW. It should take about a year for any MW fighter to earn a title shot against him. Giving Leites the shot like that was ridiculous. He went from belt contender to losing on the undercard in two fights...

I dont think there would be any point in holding the belt up, defending once a year isnt enough IMO, it's needs to be done 2-3 times a year. If he were to get the LHW belt and hold both, then both belts would be idle. Dana has critisized strikeforces's belts because of how inactive they are. I just say pick one or the other.
miphi1991
8/9/09 3:03:49PM
Pick one or the other OK, but the article says he wants to drop the MW title to fight at LHW but not got after the title! A. Silva title less just doesnt seem right to me.
scobac
8/9/09 3:18:45PM

Posted by miphi1991

Pick one or the other OK, but the article says he wants to drop the MW title to fight at LHW but not got after the title! A. Silva title less just doesnt seem right to me.

I understand what your saying. I think if he has another 3 fights at LHW and wins all 3 he will probably move on to boxing and being 13-0 in the ufc and haveing the MW strap for so long he will be reconized as one of the greatest if not the greatest the sport has ever seen and that is w/ or w/o a LHW title.
loller90278
8/9/09 3:27:55PM
the only real person that can beat silva at MW is at dan hendo, and if he loses again, i say silva drop the MW belt and have the winner of Marquardt/Maia fight dan hendo
supatolacyl
8/9/09 4:02:06PM
He is giving up the MW Belt and not wanting to go after the LHW belt is because there is a clause in thier contracts that says something on the lines that y ou can't quit when being the title holder, you have to retire from competition or keep fighting. It's not to that exact extent but somerthing on those lines. It has been posted up on this site as a forum topic somewhere before. Giving up the belt and s witching weight classes is a slick move to get out of it.
Irish_Pride
8/9/09 4:24:49PM
I say he should just let the middleweight title go and fight at LHW. He has dominated the entire Middleweight division. There is no doubt in everyone's mind that he is the king at 185 with or without the title. Anderson has stated that he wants to fight the best in the UFC. Well, if he wants to fight the best in the UFC he should definetely fight at 205. He can fight people like Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, and the champion Lyoto Machida. I know he doesn't want to fight Lyoto because they are very good friends and are pretty much brothers but I mean if he wants to fight the best in the world. Lyoto is the best at 205. He is undefeated. I would love to see him fight Lyoto but I doubt it will ever happen.
ohnougotme
8/9/09 4:26:11PM
If he has no intentions of going after the LHW belt,he has no business fighting in the division.There are many great 185's out there and its Dana's obligation to go and get the best in the world for challangers.I can understand Andersons wanting to test himself,but then dont put limitations on who you fight.When Dana said that he would not stand for the guys from AKA to not fight eachother.I want Anderson to fight more regularly at 185.Hendo first then whoever they deem respectable.Just because someone doesn't appeal to the public and makes ppv sense doesnt mean the he will lose.I say throw someone in that wants to be there for the chance not the $$.Belfort should be next after Hendo,should Hendo lose like everyone thinks.Thats if Vitor gets by Rich.
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/9/09 4:34:29PM
Anderson should give up the MW belt because he is undoubtedly the best fighter around at that level. For a new challenge it makes sense for him to fight at LHW. I think he says he doesn't want to go after the title because it is held by a friend and training partner. After a few wins at LHW I think he would definately fight for the title if it has changed hands.
The only problem is that Lyoto will probably not lose his title any time soon. IF he should lose the title I think Anderson would fight for the title and immediately retire if he won. No matter what Dana says the Machida/Silva fight is not going to happen.
SmileR
8/9/09 4:35:46PM
Poor, poor Rich.... Uncool Anderson, stop moving weight and being so good and lit Rich have his time!
Aether
8/9/09 5:20:29PM

Posted by SmileR

Poor, poor Rich.... Uncool Anderson, stop moving weight and being so good and lit Rich have his time!

IN OTHER NEWS: Rich Franklin to move back to Middleweight!
miphi1991
8/9/09 5:23:00PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by SmileR

HAHAHAHA props
Franklin is probly like f*ck i thought i got rid of this guy
cmill21
8/9/09 5:28:18PM

Posted by supatolacyl

He is giving up the MW Belt and not wanting to go after the LHW belt is because there is a clause in thier contracts that says something on the lines that y ou can't quit when being the title holder, you have to retire from competition or keep fighting. It's not to that exact extent but somerthing on those lines. It has been posted up on this site as a forum topic somewhere before. Giving up the belt and s witching weight classes is a slick move to get out of it.

VERRRRRRRRY interesting thought. Maybe he'll want to keep fighting in MMA afterall.
Mayhem13
8/9/09 5:30:20PM
If this is true, and he is now a LHW...who does he fight next?

Rashad vs Rampage is in December.
Tito vs Coleman is in November/December.
Lyoto vs Shogun is October (plus he won't fight Lyoto)
Wanderlei does not want to fight again until Feb 2010.
Liddell is not fighting for awhile either...if ever.

I guess he could face the Silva/Jardine winner...or maybe Vera if he wins.....

I don't know. I like him at 205...but I think his next fight is not gonna be as much of a "super fight" as this last one...

But after that the doors are open!

Silva vs Jackson
Silva vs Evans
Silva vs Ortiz
Silva vs Rua
Silva vs Wandy
RNC
8/9/09 5:30:52PM
Machida isn't a natural 205. In previous interviews he stated that the only reason he was fighting at 205 was because Silva was at 185. If Silva moves up to 205 for good, I could see Machida defending his LHW belt to the point where he feels he's beaten the all of the top contendres, and then move down to MW and persue things there. Hell, he was even talking about doing a HW fight with Lesnar, so that might even be a possibility.

If Silva moves to 205, Hendo will fight Marquardt/Maia for the title, and Rich will move back down to 185.

This makes things a lot more interesting.
UFCmma666
8/9/09 5:31:08PM

Posted by miphi1991

Posted by Aether

Posted by SmileR

HAHAHAHA props
Franklin is probly like f*ck i thought i got rid of this guy

rich cant win man poor guy got hendo at mw and silva at lhw
Nightmare27
8/9/09 5:32:43PM
I also think that its just a ploy to finish out his contract without the belt. He'll probably make more money boxing Roy Jones than he has in his last four fights combined.
Aether
8/9/09 5:36:41PM

Posted by Mayhem13

If this is true, and he is now a LHW...who does he fight next?

Rashad vs Rampage is in December.
Tito vs Coleman is in November/December.
Lyoto vs Shogun is October (plus he won't fight Lyoto)
Wanderlei does not want to fight again until Feb 2010.
Liddell is not fighting for awhile either...if ever.

I guess he could face the Silva/Jardine winner...or maybe Vera if he wins.....

I don't know. I like him at 205...but I think his next fight is not gonna be as much of a "super fight" as this last one...

But after that the doors are open!

Silva vs Jackson
Silva vs Evans
Silva vs Ortiz
Silva vs Rua
Silva vs Wandy

Well I'm pretty sure Dan still wants his rematch and was promised to be the next guy to fight him. I don't know how they will work that out, whether he will defend one more time at 185 or whether Dan will fight him at 205. I think that will be the next fight one way or another though.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/9/09 6:49:14PM
how awesome would it be if anderson and machida dropped belts and switched weight classes .
loonytnt
8/9/09 6:57:19PM
i want to see vitor fight him at 185 b4 he does
Aaronno9
8/9/09 7:06:34PM
I bet Rich is just praying the UFC decide to make 195 a permanant division now. Hopefully the MW division becomes a little more competitve now aswell.
EvenFlow
8/9/09 7:15:13PM

Posted by SmileR

Rich has no shot at the LHW title either. I like Rich hes a cool guy but he had his day in the sun, even if he somehow gets past Vitor hes not ready for the likes of Rampage, Shogun or Machida anymore than Anderson.

EDIT: That being said I like and dislike this move by Anderson, I think Hendo deserves another shot and has proven himself worthy of a 2nd shot regardless of if he'd get demolished again.
sbean33
8/9/09 7:41:35PM
GSP should thank Anderson for saving his life and moving to 205 now he want have to worry about fighting him. But that's ok because GSP needs a year to gain the weight any way what a joke.
prozacnation1978
8/9/09 7:52:57PM
with silva gone you still got some hot contenders for the new middle weight title in okami, hendo, marquadt, maia to name a few. but for silva
he beat griffin he should get a instant title shot who would silva fight next if he moves up winner of silva/jardine fight or maybe a fight at 195 cathweight against belfort or wandy
miphi1991
8/9/09 8:13:33PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

with silva gone you still got some hot contenders for the new middle weight title in okami, hendo, marquadt, maia to name a few. but for silva
he beat griffin he should get a instant title shot who would silva fight next if he moves up winner of silva/jardine fight or maybe a fight at 195 cathweight against belfort or wandy

He should fight Shogun after Machida beats that ass lol
cmill21
8/9/09 9:54:11PM

Posted by miphi1991

Posted by prozacnation1978

He should fight Shogun after he takes Machida's belt

Fixed.
RearNakedJoke
8/9/09 10:48:27PM
so will okami get a title shot now?

i'd like to see okami vs hendo for the mw title.
Pages: [1] 2