Anderson Silva Looking At Moving Up To Light Heavyweight?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva Looking At Moving Up To Light Heavyweight?
POLL: If Silva beats Hendo, should he move to LHW?
Yes 29% (26)
No 48% (44)
UFC should sign Lindland 23% (21)
grappler0000
2/15/08 2:03:35PM
Chris Fries and The JDH recently interviewed Ed Suarez, manager of Anderson Silva and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria on The Lights Out Show. Suarez made some very interesting comments regarding Silva and Big Nog.

Suarez On Silva:

“We would consider going up in weight…”

“…I don’t think there’s a middleweight in the world that could beat him…You’d have a hard time having a light heavyweight in the world that could beat him.”

Link
RMFG_187
2/15/08 2:07:40PM
yep he should move up, or wait for GSP to beat Serra than Fitch and have a MW vs WW Champ fight at a catch weight
wapttn
2/15/08 2:19:35PM
With the exception of henderson, the ufc lacks a mw with the ability to grind silva out. I can confidently say that he is p4p the best mma striker in the world, but there are ways to deal with strikers and I think the lhw division is full of people like that. Silva doesnt look like he has the build to stack up properly in that division, allowing fighters like tito ortiz to walk right through him. Silva's ground game is now beyond suspect, but his takedown defense still looks similar to that of Kongo's. Another reason why silva vs gsp would be an awesome fight, but with the wrestling skills and top game that gsp has shown in his last couple fights.. silva would have some serious issues on his hands.
roman
2/15/08 2:20:21PM
Wow I can't believe they are over looking Hendo. Who should be able to put Silva out. Thinking your unbeatable is bad news. He hasn't fought anyone as tough as Dan so why don't you just focus on him first, then you can worry about moving up in weight.

PS I bet these kinds of statements piss Henderson off. Great motivation for him, like he doesn't have it already.
rabbit915
2/15/08 2:24:51PM
I think too much of Silva's game is based off having longer limbs than other guys for him to possibly be successful in the LHW division.
Gipper
2/15/08 2:26:58PM
if he can beat hendo then yes. hendo is still one of the best lhw's and the BEST mw in the world.

StevieC
2/15/08 2:30:57PM

Posted by wapttn

With the exception of henderson, the ufc lacks a mw with the ability to grind silva out. I can confidently say that he is p4p the best mma striker in the world, but there are ways to deal with strikers and I think the lhw division is full of people like that. Silva doesnt look like he has the build to stack up properly in that division, allowing fighters like tito ortiz to walk right through him. Silva's ground game is now beyond suspect, but his takedown defense still looks similar to that of Kongo's. Another reason why silva vs gsp would be an awesome fight, but with the wrestling skills and top game that gsp has shown in his last couple fights.. silva would have some serious issues on his hands.

Of all the fighters in the LHW division you talk about Tito being the one to walk through him?

Funny.

disturbed_fighter
2/15/08 2:42:23PM
my oppinion he is pound4pound the best. he should go 4 it
cj_striker
2/15/08 2:45:41PM
His manager is definitely an idiot if he is looking past Hendo, and if Silva is looking past Hendo, he can kiss that belt goodbye (even though I hope Hendo beats him, I don't think Silva is that stupid). I can't even believe they would make that statement before the fight. I feel like Hendo will beat Silva, and if he does maybe Silva should move up in weight. Because the competition is that division is a little weak. It would only be pretty much Hendo, Silva, Franklin, Marquart, and the winner of Tanner vs. Okami, at the top contending for the belt. LHW has more depth. I would like to see Shamrock and Lawler come back and Lindland, Filho, and Kang join the UFC, that would definitely help.
owen1
2/15/08 2:49:01PM
If GSP beats Serra and Silva beats Henderson then they need to fight.
xchickox
2/15/08 3:09:10PM
i think there are a lot of people at 205 who could be silva (like rampage, wanderlei, shogun, forrest, machida, and others) so i think it would be a mistake, and i think hendo is gonna beat him anyway

also bring back lawler and lindland and bring in kang and filho and 185 will have a completely different look to it
grappler0000
2/15/08 3:32:21PM

Posted by StevieC

Posted by wapttn

Of all the fighters in the LHW division you talk about Tito being the one to walk through him?

Funny.

He was merely pointing out that Tito is not at the top of the division, but has the fighting style to give Silva fits...hence, he would have even larger problems with the top few guys.
StevieC
2/15/08 3:54:17PM
Gotcha.

I was just givin him crap. It was more a joke than anything...
Bemin
2/15/08 3:59:17PM
I'm sure Rich Franklin supports this move
NatedawgThaM
2/15/08 4:01:25PM
No, only because he still needs to avenge the loss to Okami and prove he's still the better fighter.

But I definitely think he could destroy the LHW division also. The only two men I think can actually beat Anderson are Rampage and Machida or maybe even Shgogun if he destroys Chuck and proves he's back. But he would destroy one dimensional fighters like Chuck, Rashad, and he would even pick apart and destroy Forrest and Jardine.

Anderson will be #1 P4P 4 ever unless Fedor comes into the UFC or Rampage beats him.
postman
2/15/08 4:53:47PM

Posted by wapttn

Silva's ground game is now beyond suspect, .

He has a black belt under the Nogueira brothers, and subs Lutter who is by all accounts is a great ground fighter himself but ppl are still saying his game is suspect. I don't get it. Is there are reason or is it just that his striking is so good that we need to say, "yeah but what happens when he goes to the ground?"
mictlantechutli
2/15/08 6:14:47PM
I think this might just be Ed Suarez trying to stir the pot a bit, get some free press/hype for the fight. I can't imagine Anderson is really overlooking Hendo, he's smarter than that. I can't imagine any professional fighter underestimating Henderson, he's too freakin dangerous. Anderson has been in fights with a lot of tough dudes, he knows better than look past Hendo.
Porch28
2/15/08 7:15:16PM
That would be sick.
BlazinSaddle
2/15/08 7:35:54PM
after anderson beats hendo, he should challenge rampage before machida beat rampage and have 2 belts, machida would beat anderson by UD tho
postman
2/15/08 7:58:33PM
I doubt Machida and Anderson would fight don't they train together?
Pookie
2/15/08 8:02:36PM
Anyone know how old anderson silva is?
When the time comes that his reflexes & speed start to slip, it will be in his best interest to move up to a bigger slower division.
cmill21
2/15/08 8:03:44PM

Posted by Pookie

Anyone know how old anderson silva is?
When the time comes that his reflexes & speed start to slip, it will be in his best interest to move up to a bigger slower division.

He's 32. Some Brazilian's look old (nog bro's) and some look really young (Anderson).
hails
2/15/08 9:20:16PM
He is too small to move upto LHW, he would get pushed around too much!!!

I think it is too hard to say he is the best MW in the world when the UFC does not have the best talent available in the MW div, or any other division for that matter.

I really agree that we need to consider the UFC champions as simply that, UFC champions,

Until we get to see the best fight the best, we will never know.

It is about time fighters were able to sign non exclusive contracts.

And why did Dan get a shot at this title!!!

We need rankings
Pookie
2/15/08 9:43:54PM

Posted by hails

I think it is too hard to say he is the best MW in the world when the UFC does not have the best talent available in the MW div, or any other division for that matter.

I really agree that we need to consider the UFC champions as simply that, UFC champions,

We need rankings

When he starts his training silva weighs 213, hes huge for MW.

If he bulked up just a bit hed be bigger than average at the weight. And he'd still have a reach advantage over most.

Who would you have given the title shot too, if dans not deserving?

juanez13
2/15/08 10:07:54PM

Posted by postman

Posted by wapttn

Silva's ground game is now Beyond suspect, .

He has a black belt under the Nogueira brothers, and subs Lutter who is by all accounts is a great ground fighter himself but ppl are still saying his game is suspect. I don't get it. Is there are reason or is it just that his striking is so good that we need to say, "yeah but what happens when he goes to the ground?"

i think you misunderstood the sentece, beyond being the keyword, his ground game is beyond suspect, meaning it is no longer suspect....i dont really know i you get my explonation, not the best person at explaining things, but hope thats helps anyways.....

my tought on silva moving up weight, are BAD!!....simply becuase silva's strenghts are stand up and BJJ, but he lacks of wresteling...he isnt the hardest person to take down, so he relies on his BJJ and long limbs to neutrilze his opponents ground game, this works at MW, but by moving up weight, those long limbs will no longer be in his favor, as almost ever LHW are the same height, now fighting larger and stronger opponent, who he wont be able to stop take downs from, and wont b able to neutrilize the wresteling with his BJJ, he is gonna be screwed......
grappler0000
2/16/08 12:09:50AM

Posted by hails

This is a joke, right?
nick94
2/16/08 2:20:19AM
I think MMA and the UFC is all about evolving and becoming better. . Though a champion in the UFC should never be overlooked, fighters lose and gain their champion status often. The next extraordinary thing in my opinion would be a fighter who could become a champion and keep that status long enough to change weight class and gain another title. I would not think this is a good idea if Anderson was undefeated. If a fighter is undefeated, it is not worth the risk of putting a blemish on perfect record. If Anderson defeats Hend. AND wins a title in the LHW Division, he is pretty much the best middleweight ever and pretty much guaranteed hall of fame status.
postman
2/16/08 2:59:10AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by postman

Posted by wapttn

Silva's ground game is now Beyond suspect, .

i think you misunderstood the sentece, beyond being the keyword, his ground game is beyond suspect, meaning it is no longer suspect....i dont really know i you get my explonation, not the best person at explaining things, but hope thats helps anyways.....

my tought on silva moving up weight, are BAD!!....simply becuase silva's strenghts are stand up and BJJ, but he lacks of wresteling...he isnt the hardest person to take down, so he relies on his BJJ and long limbs to neutrilze his opponents ground game, this works at MW, but by moving up weight, those long limbs will no longer be in his favor, as almost ever LHW are the same height, now fighting larger and stronger opponent, who he wont be able to stop take downs from, and wont b able to neutrilize the wresteling with his BJJ, he is gonna be screwed......

At this point I am drunk so I may not agree with this in the am but I take beyond as who knows.
quezocrema0032
2/16/08 11:51:45AM

Posted by hails

We need rankings

The Ufc Champs are the best in the world with the exception of heavy weight yea they dont have every single best guy in the world but they have a majority of them and there never gona get them all there are always gona be a holes like gomi and fedor who dont wanna come fight in the ufc they would rather fight bums and be remberd for the pride days thats y i respect cro cop he came over here didnt do the best but he fought top notch competition and lost 2 out of 3 give ufc guys there credit