Anderson Silva back to LHW with Patrick Cote UFC 90 win

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva back to LHW with Patrick Cote UFC 90 win
MMAcca
10/25/08 3:22:00AM
“If Anderson wins this fight on Saturday night, I think we’ll look for another fight for him at 205 (light heavyweight), then we’ll figure out in the 185-pound (middleweight) division what’s next.”

– UFC President Dana White tells USA Today that if middleweight champion Anderson Silva can defeat Patrick Cote at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” later this evening that “The Spider” will likely climb back up and test the light heavyweight waters. The Brazilian recently made the move up at UFC Fight Night 15, annihilating James Irvin with a punishing first round technical knockout in July. One would imagine that this time around White would book Silva in a big money match against a high profile name in the 205-pound division to get the most out of his talented star, who he refers to frequently as the best mixed martial arts fighter in the world today. White has even mentioned that if Silva is up for it he can get him back in action within the next two months, meaning he would be in line for another appearance as soon as UFC 92: “The Ultimate 2008? on December 27 or an event scheduled shortly thereafter. Former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell is a juicy option … but who would you like to see Silva challenge next if he makes the jump? Sound off in the the comments section below.

LINK
MMAcca
10/25/08 3:23:43AM
UFC 95: A.Silva Vs Liddell

Pookie
10/25/08 4:14:53AM
Anderson Silva vs. Kieth Jardine
Naturaldisaster
10/25/08 4:45:23AM
I really think anderson will mop the floor with both liddell and jardine. But it wouldnt upset me if he fought and beat them both because i want to see anderson go out on top. even though chuck is my favorite fighter
haggiswashere
10/25/08 4:56:26AM
Anderson Silva vs Rampage Jackson!!!!!
sparky
10/25/08 6:55:18AM
chuck liddell is perfect but I dont think it will happen!!!
jakeiceman
10/25/08 8:05:19AM
What the hell, I say give him Liddell. Obviously my cup of love runneth over for Liddell but its the best matchup and makes the most sense. Chuck has fallen on hard times and doesnt seem like the fighter he used to be and most would expect Silva to take him out early......but its the exact fight Liddell needs to get back on track and this could do it in a HUGE way.

I'm not niave, i know that if Liddell fights ANYTHING like he has been lately (excluding vs Wand) that he will be sleepin on canvas but I still think that the old dog still has alot of fight in him.

If you have lost all faith in Liddell than you probably cant fathom him beating Silva right now, but for us who have not its not out of the realm of possibiliites for Liddell to win this one.

I will admit before I get flamed and called a "nuthugger" because everyone still thinks its an original term and seems to think EVERY Liddell fan is one, that it would be a long shot for Chuck to take this one, but I still give him a shot.

Either way it would be sweeeet matchup.
jakeiceman
10/25/08 8:08:13AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Anderson Silva vs Rampage Jackson!!!!!

That would be a sick fight.....maybe after he fights Wand??

There are a lot of matchups I would like to see the spider in.

Can he just fight everyone?
pinoymixplaya
10/25/08 9:09:19AM
eh, once Yushin Okami defeats Dean Lister, A. Silva should be about ready to defend his title against him, which is long overdue...
motorboatensob
10/25/08 9:29:07AM
I would love to see him take out Machida or Rashad. Chuck dose make the most sense but with Anderson's technical striking I think he would pick Chuck a part. Lots of good fights there but I think any fighter you put him in there against you are setting them up to lose.
gabe531
10/25/08 10:18:32AM
woulda said soku but he was already exposed as overrated , then would say rashad but he jumped over machida for title shot, machida wont happen so that leaves jardine,wand or chuck. i would like to see any of them. jardine would be a quick knock out though and i would rather watch something that would take longer then 1 minute.

or give him hendo/rich in a 2 on 1 match at 205
gsquat
10/25/08 10:19:10AM

Posted by motorboatensob

I would love to see him take out Machida or Rashad. Chuck dose make the most sense but with Anderson's technical striking I think he would pick Chuck a part. Lots of good fights there but I think any fighter you put him in there against you are setting them up to lose.

1: Anderson said he doesn't want to fight Machida
2: Dana wouldn't put him against Rashad because he knows Silva would lose that fight.

I think Silva vs Liddell is the most sensible option. I honestly don't know who would win that fight. Would Anderson push forward?
Bowen50
10/25/08 10:25:57AM
Wanderlei after he beats Rampage
Ordep
10/25/08 11:13:10AM
I hate the fact that he's becoming the new puppet of the org. He already said the move to 205 was a FAVOR and not in his personal interest since he believes that division belongs to Machida.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/25/08 11:24:49AM

Posted by Ordep

I hate the fact that he's becoming the new puppet of the org. He already said the move to 205 was a FAVOR and not in his personal interest since he believes that division belongs to Machida.

dont jump to conclusions.

maybe his favor wasnt jumpin to 205, maybe it was jumpin to 205 on short notice

GSP is a big WW & everyone considers his possible move to fight Anderson to be a dangerous weight difference, but Anderson going to 205 isnt at all dangerous unless you're the 205'er they put him against

there's plenty of talent in 205 to spread between Anderson & Machida & the only way you can be certain that he is a puppet is if you hear Dana say he's trying to talk "Andy Silva" into fightin Machida

personally, i think Dana is holding Machida back in the lhw division for this very reason (Dana mightve been the one that hurt Thiago & pushed their fight back)
MMAcca
10/25/08 11:37:53AM
'Andy Silva'

Cracks me up........
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/25/08 12:32:34PM

Posted by MMAcca

'Andy Silva'

Cracks me up........

cant remember which poster said it, 4u2nv maybe, but i swear i'll be saying that shit for a while
scpd400
10/25/08 1:07:54PM
Machida just to see if Silva can catch him
jae_1833
10/25/08 1:28:57PM
How about this, A. Siva vs Shogun (after his Coleman fight of course). I think A. Siva's just doing these fights to get him closer to retirement instead of waiting for another legit #1 Contendar every 6 months. He did say he would like to finish his contract next year. If Shogun wins it could be a very nice match up. I don't want to see the end of Chuck's career come via a TKO from A. Silva, nor would I like to see a guy like Rampage be put into the position that Wandy was last year having been a legend with 3 losses in a row! Shogun is enough of a name, and a good enough fighter to actually make another 205 lb A. Silva fight worth the time. I don't think it makes any sense to have A. Silva fight another gatekeeper like Irvin. I also want to see him fight Yushin Okami....the real #1 Contendar IMO!! However after that fight I don't see anyone else in the MW div deserving a title shot whil A. Silva is holding the belt. So, what do you all think..... A. Silva vs Rua??
paddy260
10/25/08 1:45:24PM
WANDYYY VS SILVA THAT WOULD BE SICK
StriderXero
10/25/08 2:21:35PM
I think Shogun vs A. Silva woulld be a great match. Great stand up war IMO. That is if Shogun can get past Coleman within the first round. I think he will. But then again you never know.
Kracker_Jap
10/25/08 2:24:38PM
I just would like to bring people's attention to the fact that USA today was even giving Dana White the time of day in the first place lets us know how far the sport has come, not to mention how much credit Dana really deserves for it < I also think old Andy deserves some Props too for being sucha bad ass and adding to m the MMA Growth in the main stream media
Bobby-B-Bonkers
10/25/08 2:30:19PM
Chuck and Anderson is MONEY! I just hope the UFC doesn't match Silva with another "regular fighter" , how about against the winner or loser of Rampage vs Wandy? OR there is still 205lbers like Machida, Thiago Silva and Shogun!!!
jgtribbett
10/25/08 2:45:50PM

Posted by MMAcca

UFC 95: A.Silva Vs Liddell

guess we should look for a nice plot for liddell starting now. i mean... graves are expensive
Matimus
10/25/08 4:00:05PM
branden Vera lol
RMFG_187
10/25/08 4:57:52PM
They wont give A Silva a top 10 fighter.

probably give him Houston or Soko
MMAcca
10/25/08 5:09:29PM
I disagree.

I think Silva will get a big name.

IMO he's almost certain to fight Chuck Liddell, or maybe Keith Jardine.
bls1919
10/25/08 11:23:25PM
In reality a fight with Luiz " Bahna" Cane actually would make sense. But a fight between Wandy and A. Silva would be monumental!!!