Anderson Silva: No Jon Jones fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva: No Jon Jones fight
« Previous Page
FlashyG
10/6/12 1:07:24AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

2) GSP is not "huge" for WW.

3) I am not going to rip on GSP right now for not wanting the fight.

2) Yes he is. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think a guy that walks around 25-30lbs heavier than his weight class (especially at the lower weights) can be considered huge.

3) GSP has never wanted the fight and has been very vocal about not wanting it. He didn't just say "I don't want it right now." He doesn't want it period. So if you give him a pass then you're being hypocritical.

Jon Jones also doesn't want to fight Anderson. Both guys would be taking an unnecessary risk by fighting someone out of their weight class. As a fan i want to see it, but I understand their reasons.

2) GSP is a huge WW, but Anderson is also a huge MW, the only obvious difference between them moving up in weight is that Anderson has already done it multiple times and GSP has been a WW for his entire career.

3) Unless you're calling Zahabi a liar, then it appears GSP does want to fight Anderson (at a catchweight) but not until he's done with his fight with Condit.

Anderson has no problem taking fights out of his weight class, as long as they pose no threat to actually win the fight. I think Jones would happily accept the fight with Anderson if it was offered to him. I also think beating Jon Jones and simultaneously holding 2 belts would do far more to cement Anderson as the GOAT than a catchweight fight with GSP would ever do.

As a fan I'd be ecstatic to see either fight, but I think Anderson vs Jones is the closer fight of the 2, the more historically significant fight, and the fight that most fans would rather see.
bjj1605
10/6/12 2:13:48AM

Posted by FlashyG

As a fan I'd be ecstatic to see either fight, but I think Anderson vs Jones is the closer fight of the 2, the more historically significant fight, and the fight that most fans would rather see.

I want to see both fights. I agree that Jones vs Anderson would be more competitive and it's the fight I'd rather see.

All I'm saying is that I totally understand Anderson's reasons for not wanting it.

Jones has ruled out a fight against Anderson though. So you're saying he'd go back on that statement? You could be right....but I'd rather base my opinions off of what I know rather than speculation.

And if GSP is saying that he'll take the fight with Anderson, then good for him. He's said many times in the past that he wouldn't. Just weeks ago he made some statements saying that moving up isn't something that he wants. He said that there is plenty left for him at WW.

Basically the same thing Anderson is saying but Bubbles didn't hate on GSP. So I call bull shit.

Posted by Bubbles
"I want to defend my title....but not against the #1 contender Chris Weidman"

I think we've talked about this before and I don't want to beat a dead horse. But it is absolutely ABSURD to think that Anderson Silva is ducking Chris Weidman.

Weidman has not earned a title shot. The only reason he was even being talked about is because there was no one else. Anderson doesn't want to waste a fight on a guy who hasn't earned it.

I wouldn't mind it if Weidman got a shot after beating Boetsch (if it was dominant) but personally I'd prefer it if he fought Bisping or Belcher first. Why not find out who the REAL #1 contender is?
ghandikush
10/6/12 10:15:33AM
Noone else....

Bisping, Boetsch, Belcher all come to mind.... but wait, none of those guys have a chance we say..... Weidman is the CLEAR number one... as clear as anyone else has ever been.... More clear than Vitor, Maia, Leitas, Cote, Hendo, or Lutter ever were....

Difference is the other 6 didnt make Anderson think twice about whether he wanted the fights.
Bubbles
10/6/12 11:10:17AM

Posted by bjj1605

Basically the same thing Anderson is saying but Bubbles didn't hate on GSP. So I call bull shit.

Posted by Bubbles
"I want to defend my title....but not against the #1 contender Chris Weidman"

I think we've talked about this before and I don't want to beat a dead horse. But it is absolutely ABSURD to think that Anderson Silva is ducking Chris Weidman.

Weidman has not earned a title shot. The only reason he was even being talked about is because there was no one else. Anderson doesn't want to waste a fight on a guy who hasn't earned it.

I wouldn't mind it if Weidman got a shot after beating Boetsch (if it was dominant) but personally I'd prefer it if he fought Bisping or Belcher first. Why not find out who the REAL #1 contender is?

GSP has never said no, just "not right now" because he wanted to make a permanent move to MW and have the proper time to get his body in shape to move up. Everyone took that as a sign of him ducking. Like I said before, that plus wanting to break a record is a far more valid reason than what Silva just said, especially the crap about Feijao and Lil Nog fighting Jones.

Anderson doesn't want to fight a guy who hasn't earned it? That is a load of crap otherwise he wouldn't have accepted a fight with Maia, Belfort, Leites, Cote, Hendo, or Okami. If he can fight those guys, then he has absolutely no reason to not want to fight Weidman. Weidman has done more than most of those guys on that list (add Lutter if you want too) but he hasn't earned it? The only reason any #1 contender gets talked about is because there is no one else. Is there anyone else for JDS to fight since Overeem is suspended? Is there anyone else for GSP to fight besides Condit? How about Bendo vs Diaz? Weidman is the REAL #1 contender, Silva and his fans are making excuses to avoid another difficult fight. Everything that is being said about Weidman now is exactly the same thing that was said after Sonnen beat Bisping. There is a real legitimate chance Silva will lose and none of you guys want to see that. Most of this is but as a fan vs a hater, it's not going to change until the fight takes place
Pages: 1 [2]