Anderson Silva vs James Irvin @205 lbs

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anderson Silva vs James Irvin @205 lbs
Next Page »
punkstrings
6/17/08 7:30:07PM
July 19th free on Spike! Awesome.

I Favor Anderson Silva, but I think this would be a good gauge as to how his power matches up at 205 pounds. This would give more insight as to how he may matchup in a possible bout against Rampage Jackson.

Post your thoughts
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/17/08 7:31:18PM
the sand man is going to sleep.
Violence108
6/17/08 7:31:53PM
WTF!!! UFC WTF
GrizzlyChadams
6/17/08 7:33:36PM
Really stoked on this. Can't wait to watch it. Anderson > Affliction
casketcoin
6/17/08 7:39:20PM
BIG FAN OF IRVIN. bUT I THINK SILVA IS WAY TO SMART TO CATCH A SUPERMAN punch or a flying knee to make a quick and easy fight for irvin
HLONWLS
6/17/08 7:42:48PM

Posted by casketcoin

BIG FAN OF IRVIN. bUT I THINK SILVA IS WAY TO SMART TO CATCH A SUPERMAN punch or a flying knee to make a quick and easy fight for irvin

Me to on the being an Irvin fan, but got to give it to Silva. Be cool if they got into a kicking match.
holt8081
6/17/08 7:44:07PM
This is not a test for anderson james irvin is not an elite guy at 205, but it will be intersting to see anderson adapt to an extra 20 lbs
mach
6/17/08 7:50:51PM
Talk about a scramble to compete with the Affliction card

This matchup is dumb and I'll be watching Affliction anyways, Silva will take this but they can call me when he has a better matchup than Irvin at 205
TWITA
6/17/08 7:59:16PM
Irvin gets KOed in Rd 1. Affliction PPV will get crushed. How will Fedor get paid when their PPV's don't equal his share of the purse?
GrizzlyChadams
6/17/08 8:05:50PM
Considering how popular Silva is and the fact this is his first move up to 205, this will probably give Affliction some very poor ratings.

And the reason they gave him an easier opponent is probably because Silva needs to be tested and make sure he can handle 205. They don't want him losing his first fight at this weight.
rabbit915
6/17/08 8:07:17PM
I dont understand this decision. I would understand it if they just wanted to give Silva a fight to keep him busy while the MW division came up with a real contender (and there will be a good contender coming up in the next six months when the Okami-Bisping-Leites-Maia-Cote situation gets turned into 1 contender) but i would rather see him just fight the Okami because he is the leader of the pack than fight a guy whos not even in the top tier at LHW. Not that Irvin is a bad fighter but hes not top 15 even.

My personal pick would have been Anderson versus Wanderlei: The battle of the Silvas.
pdanke
6/17/08 8:33:10PM
This is a really lame idea by the UFC.

They really despise the idea of other organizations competing with them, don't they?

Pointless matchup.... who benefits from this? Silva tko rd 2.

Oh, and the UFC just re-signed Jake O'Brien for this event too! Yay!
DiabloFreak56
6/17/08 10:46:21PM
anderson silva will destroy him. irvin has no chance in my opinion silva is just too fast for him
Kracker_Jap
6/17/08 11:12:41PM
Anderson is small at 185lbs Irvin is huge at 205lbs

Irvin is way cooler than Anderson

Everyone licks the Jock of Anderson

I have always been a huge voice and defender of the Sandman!!!!

So I'm used to being flamed when it comes to the Sandman

But Anderson is one of the greatest fighter ever.......

But I'm no flip flopper, Sandman by 1st round KO

And if I lose points "who cares" cuz i'm no sell out
Twenty20Dollars
6/18/08 12:30:23AM
this doesnt make sense. they are just bringing anderson silva on the fight night to draw a bigger crowd to watch this fight night instead of ordering affliction.

this is last minute crap to me.

it's like chuck vs rashad. only i would rather see that fight than this.

affliction still dominates in better matchups between these two cards.
Pookie
6/18/08 12:40:24AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Anderson is pretty large for 185.
Kracker_Jap
6/18/08 1:32:54AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Anderson is pretty large for 185.

Ummm.... Anderson started his career at 170 The Sandman at Heavyweight
blkssncpt
6/18/08 1:40:12AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Irvin by 1st round KO

WAR SANDMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Rob
blkssncpt
6/18/08 1:41:24AM
thats exactly wat i was thinking.......

-Rob
StriderXero
6/18/08 5:59:47AM
I'm geussing this is why they wanted Wandy in the card, to fight Anderson. ofcourse Wandy had to turn that down, he knows the way Anderson fights and needed more time to train.
Korsakov
6/18/08 6:15:22AM
anderson walks around at 215-220. james irvin walks around at 215-220. you do the math on who is bigger.

don't forget, before silva entered the UFC, franklin was the biggest MW. anderson is just as big as a franklin if not bigger. he is a big MW.
KYGUY07
6/18/08 7:34:07AM
This is the dumbest idea the UFC has ever had, I really dont care to see Silv vs Irvin, and the Affliction card is the best card ever IMO.
Franklinfan47
6/18/08 8:18:50AM
Umm has anyone considered what will happen if Silva actually loses this fight? Say Irvin miraculously scores a flash KO. Its sure going to make the ufc look stupid imo. I don't give Irvin much chance, but if he does win it makes the whole 185 division look like crap.
Korsakov
6/18/08 9:23:15AM

Posted by Franklinfan47

if he does win it makes the whole 185 division look like crap.

i don't think so, if he wins it just solidifies his place as the world's #1 P4P fighter and an extraordinary human being.
stock
6/18/08 9:38:11AM
I hope Anderson gets KO'd in this fight.
I want him to stay at MW and destroy everyone in his path.

pv3Hpv3p
6/18/08 11:23:20AM
This just doesn't make any sense to me...

I haven't noticed anything official about it yet either, just a bunch of MMA sites posting things "they've heard"...

If Anderson is moving up to 205, why would he fight James Irvin? Why not make it some sort of super fight against a big name? He's considered the top #4# fighter in the world, give him a name...

And then Vera moving down to fight at LHW to fight Reese Andy? Why not have them fight eachother (Anderson / Vera) or someone people give a hoot about?

Neither of these fights are intriguing except for the fact of watching Vera and Anderson fight in general.... It doens't matter who, they could slap around a side of beef for 15 minutes and many fans would be satisfied...

To me it shows just how much the UFC is worrying about Affliction... Enough to scrape together a goofy event like this and think that it pales in comparison to the best Heavyweight fight card we've seen in years... Maybe the best all around fight card outside of the UFC, at least since Pride's demise anyways
stock
6/18/08 11:28:31AM
I agree.
And it's not like we are getting a free card or anything.
By calling UFN14, we are just getting a free event that we would have gotten anyway. However, now it is just a card slapped together at the last moment with no intriguing fights. The two biggest fights on the card are just guys moving to new weight classes fighting a guy making his UFC debut and a guy that is probably not even in the top 20 of anyone's rankings.

Violence108
6/18/08 11:41:06AM
i want to see James that this all 3 rounds wih Silva because no one has done that yet in the UFC, but the sandman will be looking for the KO like he does
NinjaCyborg
6/18/08 12:47:27PM
Everyone seems to be comparing the rumored main event "Silva vs Irvin" and saying it sucks compared to the Affliction card.
Of course it sucks comparitively!! It's 1 fight!
The UFC isn't going to put on an event with 1 fight, they're going to stack the card out to give serious competition to Affliction.
I doubt this card is going to suck because they're going to put together at least 8 or 9 more fights.
Maybe we'll get Bisping vs Leben finally!
punkstrings
6/18/08 12:59:40PM
Here is the most reputable link i have found:

Yahoo Sports Anderson Silva UFC July 19

I think it's a aggressive and smart business move for the UFC. I rather like having the UFC as the dominant promotion because the UFC has all the top fighters. Affliction has a great card, but after this card there may be only 1 or 2 intriuging match ups on their roster. UFC has tons of great fights.

Too many promotions will seperate the great fighters from fighting each other. The only downside is that less promotions competing mean fighter pay would not skyrocket, but the fans will get to see great fighters compete.
Pages: [1] 2