Anderson Silva is incredible &

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anderson Silva is incredible &
JoeySteel
8/8/10 11:15:07AM
I think he may be a ROBOT.

what was up with that RD 1 bit, where he dropped his hands and just took like 4 to the chin? Incredible.

It made me think he was looking or expected to be taken down.

He took everything that Sonnen could give and took almost NO damage.

Silva only dished out a little and Sonnen looked like he was hit by a bus.

Silva avoided damage, never looked flustered or worried, DESPITE ROGAN'S INSISTENCE that he was frustrated, I never saw that.

Rogan and Goldberg were way off in their analysis.

Silva was looking for that sub for rounds, he knew that Sonnen's BJJ was his weakest element. He knew that was how he mainly has been beaten.

Everyone continues to hate on Silva, but he was incredible. He is the greatest fighter alive, best striker in the world, and simply brilliant at everything.

Everyone can have a bad day, everyone can take a beaten, everyone can lose, but Anderson stayed calm and came out #1 again.

Stop the hate, start to realize what we have here before he is gone.

Hendo67
8/8/10 11:32:14AM
You can now remove your mouth fro...

Yeah i wont go there.
BeeR
8/8/10 11:53:09AM
That robot must have been using some kind of cheap discount Chinese battery.......
BlueSkiesBurn
8/8/10 11:53:11AM

Posted by Hendo67

You can now remove your mouth fro...

Yeah i wont go there.

Jackelope
8/8/10 12:00:22PM
Care to comment on his good looks while you're at it?

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
BlueSkiesBurn
8/8/10 12:04:53PM

Posted by Jackelope

Care to comment on his good looks while you're at it?

I'm seriously dying right now, Jack. I had completely forgot about that viral video. I wish I could prop you, but I have to spread the love.
Aether
8/8/10 12:06:02PM
LOL.... the guy gets his ass handed to him for 24 minutes and he's praised for it?

I think he just made it clear that Fedor is and always has been #1 p4p.
aristipe
8/8/10 12:13:22PM
Wrong. The best pound for pound fighter in the world is now, without a shadow of a doubt, George St-Pierre. With Fedor and Silva both looking vulnerable and beatable, there's no one else besides GSP who can legitimately call himself the best pound for pound fighter alive, period.
bjj1605
8/8/10 12:40:02PM
Don't know how this is turning into a P4P conversation but GSP has lost and doesn't have the same resume or dominance as Anderson. He doesn't finish fights and his accomplishments haven't caught up with Anderson. The only way he will ever be p4p is by beating Anderson.

Fedor has been fighting sub-par competition in a second rate organization. Not as bad as everyone makes it sound, but certainly not p4p caliber opponents. Now he just lost quick to a borderline top 10 HW.

Anderson has been p4p best since he beat Hendo and that won't be changing anytime soon.
Caesarrrr
8/8/10 12:40:09PM
lol.

We went from an anderson nuthugger, to aether whipping out the old school classic nuthugging method of fedor, back round to the GSP. It'll never end.

I think you missed something in the fight, because Anderson was definitely hit hard, and definitely felt it. He might not have looked beaten up, but some people don't bruise as easily. Fact is, he pulled off a submission on someone with subpar sub defense, and it's a good thing he did, because otherwise he'd have lost his title.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/8/10 12:59:18PM

Posted by bjj1605

Don't know how this is turning into a P4P conversation but GSP has lost and doesn't have the same resume or dominance as Anderson. He doesn't finish fights and his accomplishments haven't caught up with Anderson. The only way he will ever be p4p is by beating Anderson.

Fedor has been fighting sub-par competition in a second rate organization. Not as bad as everyone makes it sound, but certainly not p4p caliber opponents. Now he just lost quick to a borderline top 10 HW.

Anderson has been p4p best since he beat Hendo and that won't be changing anytime soon.

I think GSP's resume is better than Anderson's to be honest. He has 9 fewer fights, sure. but he's also not nearly as old. His only losses are to Serra and Hughes. Hughes is a HOF'er and Serra is not nearly as bad of a loss as Ryo Chonnan.
tcunningham
8/8/10 8:50:33PM
GSP is without a doubt better than silva. he is far more well rounded. dont get me wrong silvas great but obviously his wrestling is weak as f@#k. i have never been that pissed after a fight before last night. i hope every wrestler is foaming at the mouth to get a shot at that clown. if he fights vitor he will KO vitor. vitor will play right into andersons game. attack heavily on the feet so silva can counter back and win. oh and whats with the nuthugging?
Aether
8/8/10 10:01:53PM

Posted by aristipe

Wrong. The best pound for pound fighter in the world is now, without a shadow of a doubt, George St-Pierre. With Fedor and Silva both looking vulnerable and beatable, there's no one else besides GSP who can legitimately call himself the best pound for pound fighter alive, period.

Anderson has shown huge holes in his ground and GSP has shown holes in his standup, Fedor has shown that he is far more well rounded than any of the other champions.
ripley
8/8/10 10:13:07PM
He got lucky, got soundly beaten for about 4 and a half rounds. this was supposed to be the undisputed pound for pound king in the world. A fighter that some people thought was capable of holding titles in three divisions.
ncordless
8/8/10 10:22:56PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by aristipe

Anderson has shown huge holes in his ground and GSP has shown holes in his standup, Fedor has shown that he is far more well rounded than any of the other champions.

Yeah but he lost his last fight. This ain't golf or tennis, when you lose you are no longer number 1.

If you ask me who the greatest fighter of all time is, I'd say Fedor with full confidence. But if the question is who is the p4p best fighter on Aug. 8 2010, the answer is not Fedor. If he gets a couple big wins, he is right back in the mix.
Aether
8/8/10 10:48:11PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Aether

Posted by aristipe

Yeah but he lost his last fight. This ain't golf or tennis, when you lose you are no longer number 1.

If you ask me who the greatest fighter of all time is, I'd say Fedor with full confidence. But if the question is who is the p4p best fighter on Aug. 8 2010, the answer is not Fedor. If he gets a couple big wins, he is right back in the mix.

You're #1 if you're better than everyone else. Sometimes the better fighter/ team/ player loses as a result of making a mistake as opposed to being outplayed or outskilled.
JoeySteel
8/8/10 11:41:25PM
Nuthugger? That is the witty analysis?

It is sad the thoughtful commentary on this site.

People have talked about holes in Silva's ground game, but I did not see it. He held one of tehs best wrestlers in his weight class to minimal damage and then subbed him.

Did all you people miss the fact that he subbed him? Holes in his ground game? Please. Anderson did more damage on Sonnen from his back than Sonnen did from top position.

There is just such little thought on this site about things. You are little roganites.

It makes me sick to be associated with some fans of this sport.
lohmann
8/9/10 12:21:50AM

Posted by Aether

Posted by ncordless

You're #1 if you're better than everyone else. Sometimes the better fighter/ team/ player loses as a result of making a mistake as opposed to being outplayed or outskilled.

You're #1 if you win. No sport gives titles to the losers.

I actually find separating "making a mistake" from being "outplayed" a little condescending to fighters. Werdum winning that fight was just as much his ability to find an opening for a submission as it was Fedor leaving himself exposed in that position. Werdum deserves as much praise as Fedor does criticism for winning that fight.

Just like Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, actually.
bjj1605
8/9/10 1:52:55AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Aether

Posted by aristipe

There's no such thing as a lucky submission. The mere idea of it is a logical contradiction and the words "lucky submission" are together an oxymoron.

It takes a deliberate, specific, and practiced set of movements. You have to attempt the submission. You have to do them correctly. And you have to have drilled the move hundreds or even thousands of time in the gym.

It is the most dominant form of victory. You are making the other fighter admit defeat. He is willing giving you the victory (unlike a knockout or a decision where he has no control of the outcome). A tap is an admission that he was in a position where his only options were to give up or be physically injured/choked unconscious. You are saying with that one simple tap "you win, I give up, you're the better man".
BeeR
8/9/10 6:15:52AM
he landed an elbow from the bottom............
BlueSkiesBurn
8/9/10 10:02:37AM

Posted by bjj1605

There's no such thing as a lucky submission. The mere idea of it is a logical contradiction and the words "lucky submission" are together an oxymoron.

It takes a deliberate, specific, and practiced set of movements. You have to attempt the submission. You have to do them correctly. And you have to have drilled the move hundreds or even thousands of time in the gym.

It is the most dominant form of victory. You are making the other fighter admit defeat. He is willing giving you the victory (unlike a knockout or a decision where he has no control of the outcome). A tap is an admission that he was in a position where his only options were to give up or be physically injured/choked unconscious. You are saying with that one simple tap "you win, I give up, you're the better man".

I'll disagree with you, but I get what you're saying. Saying that there's no such thing as a "lucky" submission is the same thing as saying there's no such thing as a lucky catch in the NFL, lucky goal in the NHL, lucky basket in the NBA, etc...

At a certain point there are lucky submissions, goals, baskets, catches.

Luck doesn't imply that you don't have the skill to make something happen, rather, it just means that an opportunity fell into your lap and you took advantage of it. Franco Harris is in the NFL HOF, ask him if there's such a thing as luck.

That being said, Anderson's submission wasn't luck. There's a reason that countless wrestlers get triangled in MMA.
BeeR
8/10/10 4:02:55PM
posture up!
jocksmall
8/10/10 4:18:09PM
wow you watched a different fight than i did. anderson took a beating: he was knocked down twice and totally dominated untill he pulled off the triangle. your post is totally wrong. give anderson credit for taking a beating and hangin in there untill he was able to submit chael
BustedKnuckle
8/11/10 5:44:42PM

Posted by bjj1605

THIS!!! He really only showed how good his chin was, in his fight with Sonnen. We all knew his jits was top notch. And he exploited the hell out of Chael as soon as he got the chance. I saw his set-up from a mile away
Aether
8/12/10 3:57:51AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Aether

Posted by ncordless

You're #1 if you win. No sport gives titles to the losers.

I actually find separating "making a mistake" from being "outplayed" a little condescending to fighters. Werdum winning that fight was just as much his ability to find an opening for a submission as it was Fedor leaving himself exposed in that position. Werdum deserves as much praise as Fedor does criticism for winning that fight.

Just like Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, actually.

It's not really condescending at all, it's realistic. Was Serra a better fighter than GSP because he landed a good punch? I think the answer was obviously no. Sometimes the better fighter loses as a result of making a mistake, it isn't disrespectful to analyze the fighter's skill levels. I don't think too many people would try to argue that Werdum is better than Fedor, and I'm pretty sure that the odds would still be heavily lopsided in Fedor's favour for a rematch, this is because everyone knows Fedor is still the better fighter.

Yeah these guys had to have a certain level of talent to capitalize on the openings they were given, they wouldn't be fighting the guys they're fighting if they weren't good. No one is saying they're BAD fighters. The best player doesn't always win. This is true in any sport or any form of competition.