Anderson Silva: Greatest Athlete of All Time?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anderson Silva: Greatest Athlete of All Time?
grappler0000
2/11/13 2:13:17AM
He's 1 of 16 athletes you can vote for in ESPN's Sport Science bracket. Pretty stiff competition...I'm curious to see how it pans out.

Vote
State_Champ
2/11/13 7:39:41AM
I'm not sure who I would pick as The Greatest Athlete of All Time.

But I'm guessing one of three dudes (they're all men, even though the poll is not "Greatest Male Athlete") wins this poll: Either Phelps, Jordan, or Ali.

Disappointed by the absence of Rick Swenson (five-time winner of the Iditarod).
sparky
2/11/13 8:05:57AM
I got to go with Michael Jordan
postman
2/11/13 9:27:14AM
I went Carl Lewis. Dale Sr??? Call me crazy but Nascar isn't even the most physical demanding Motor Sport.
Theoutlaw08
2/11/13 10:04:46AM
Its tough. He has controlled his sport just like MJ, Woods, Gretzky did. I'd honestly put him in the top 5. I'd go far enough to say hes the best MMA fighter ever.
With that said, Id say MJ is the greatest athlete ever.

airkerma
2/11/13 10:59:04AM
Awesome to see a MMA on the list.
I think Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete and that was the only 30 for 30 episode I've seen. Bo was absolutely nuts.
SpiderSilva
2/11/13 12:31:27PM
Lance Armstrong would have went far in this not too long ago. More look weekday he did. See what happens when you own your mouth...
Boo_Radley21
2/11/13 2:23:28PM
Michael Jordan
Bubbles
2/11/13 3:28:55PM
I voted Bo Jackson. He was a great player in 2 sports at the highest level. I'd include Tiger and Federer in my top 3 from that list. Can't vote Gretzky as imo Bobby Orr is the greatest of all time

I wish they gave Anderson Silva a little bit more than a quick line while everyone else has stats.
tcunningham
2/11/13 3:51:46PM
i took this as the best athlete all around poll. thats why i chose bo jackson. the guy was so athletic he could have been the best at whatever sport he chose. plus the guy still holds the fast 40 record of all time. maybe he didnt win as many golds as phelps did but phelps was a one sport athlete and its safe to say that bo jackson could beat phelps in way more sports that phelps could beat jackson in.
Poor_Franklin
2/11/13 3:54:09PM
imo, MJ is not the best athlete of all time. He is the best basketball player of all time & arguably the best competitor of all time. His need to win made him better than others. Lebron is a better athlete than MJ, but will enver be a better basketball player.
Pookie
2/11/13 3:59:45PM
"Me? Bess all time? No way. Me not bess. Hmm..... Bjay Pen. Hes tha bess."
UFC_Fanatic
2/11/13 4:12:28PM

Posted by airkerma

Awesome to see a MMA on the list.
I think Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete and that was the only 30 for 30 episode I've seen. Bo was absolutely nuts.

He was a freak athlete. He ran what is the unofficial fastest 40 yard dash time at 4.12 which was scrutinized heavily, and later that same week ran a 4.18. Regardless of the lack of modern technology to add legitimacy to the times from the 80's, that is extremely fast either way. For a man the size of Bo, he was a freak athletic specimen. You can't teach athleticism like that. You have to be born with it.
prozacnation1978
2/11/13 4:27:18PM
I got Jordan than Ali
PhilBrito
2/11/13 11:20:18PM

Posted by State_Champ

I'm not sure who I would pick as The Greatest Athlete of All Time.

But I'm guessing one of three dudes (they're all men, even though the poll is not "Greatest Male Athlete") wins this poll: Either Phelps, Jordan, or Ali.

Disappointed by the absence of Rick Swenson (five-time winner of the Iditarod).

You know how I know you're a hipster?
PhilBrito
2/11/13 11:22:37PM
Gotta say though people are confusing Best Athlete with Best at a Sport. MJ is the best basketball player of all time, but guys like LeBron and Wilt are much better athletes. I think Silva might be a better fighter but GSP is a better athlete.
jay98107
2/12/13 1:48:58PM
Greatest athlete is Bo Jackson, if we're talking about athletic ability. If we're talking accomplishments relative to the sport in which they played, I think it comes down to MJ, Gretzky or Federer.