Anderson Silva Greasing Himself at UFC 97

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anderson Silva Greasing Himself at UFC 97
Silent-Sir
4/19/09 11:21:17AM
I was just wondering how many other people noticed this. I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention. Especially considering how quickly the controversy started over the GSP/Penn fight.

And just for the record, I am an Anderson Silva fan. I just wish he'd stop toying with his opponents and finish them.

Since the UFC has already had the video removed from Youtube, here's a gif of the incident.

Jackelope
4/19/09 11:32:33AM
I noticed it, too. I think at one point the Athletic Commission guy in the octagon looked at him kind of funny but never did anything about it. Good post. IMO that is blatantly greasing yourself, even though he could only get a small amount that probably would have made only a miniscule difference if any at all
Franklinfan47
4/19/09 11:32:45AM
I actually didnt notice this last night, but its interesting. Whats the rule on greasing yourself?
SociopathX
4/19/09 11:39:00AM
IF your talking about towards the end of the clip when Silva's sidesteppig around the ring and he takes some from his face and wipes it on his chest.... I think he honestly probably just did that because the dumb judge/ ref whoever it was put too much on his face and he wanted to take some off. Instead of having a shirt to wipe it on he wiped it from his hands to his chest on instinct.
Jackelope
4/19/09 11:42:12AM

Posted by SociopathX

IF your talking about towards the end of the clip when Silva's sidesteppig around the ring and he takes some from his face and wipes it on his chest.... I think he honestly probably just did that because the dumb judge/ ref whoever it was put too much on his face and he wanted to take some off. Instead of having a shirt to wipe it on he wiped it from his hands to his chest on instinct.

I would believe that- but what about the part where he clearly reaches up, takes some from his face, and wipes down his entire arm with it?
three_days_of_grey
4/19/09 11:49:50AM
I noticed this but it's not a significant amount of grease to even raise an eyebrow at. For one, it wasn't his cornermen that applied the grease, it was Geraldo Riveras doppleganger, 'Stitch'. Secondly, the reason it's not drawing more attention is probably because nobody gives a damn about this fight. Now had it been even remotely close I can imagine some members of the media would be responding as though Silva came out in a 3" inch thick petroleum jelly protective suit.
We should be more concerned about how much grease Leites put on the bottoms of his feet as he kept slipping down onto his back. Silva tried to help him out by repeatedly kicking his knee so the force would squeeze the grease out the sides of his feet and help maintain stability.
Truth is: that miniscule bit of grease rubbed from his face onto his chest/arm would have had absolutely no bearing on the fight whatsoever. I can see a case being made had "additional' grease been applied.

-OUT-
mentalcase
4/19/09 11:57:58AM
holy fuken **** i missed that, thats just blatant wipes it off his face and put it straight on his arms

they should just ban vaseline alltogether
Mayhem13
4/19/09 12:10:50PM
Haha I saw that last night and was like "what the hell is he doing?" It was pretty strange and blatant...

I don't think it did anything to help him out in the fight, and I don't know if he did it for that reason or not...but I was a little confused /shocked
fizzle
4/19/09 12:32:10PM

Posted by mentalcase

holy fuken **** i missed that, thats just blatant wipes it off his face and put it straight on his arms

they should just ban vaseline alltogether

Only reason why they can't do that is fighters would cut more often and you would see more fights end earlier due to a cut.
1daveufc
4/19/09 1:12:57PM
if it had not been for the gsp greasing no one wud of noticed that.Anderson wiped on his chest in instinct
StorminYourman
4/19/09 2:58:57PM
Thefridge1337
4/19/09 3:16:38PM
i think ive seen him do the same thing before but thought nothing of it
Aether
4/19/09 5:34:14PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

I actually didnt notice this last night, but its interesting. Whats the rule on greasing yourself?

It is definitely a very big No-No. Only cutmen are even allowed to HANDLE vaseline let alone apply it to people. It is ONLY allowed on the face in the spots most likely to get cut (eyebrows and cheekbones mainly)
miphi1991
4/19/09 6:03:32PM
It almost looks like he was trying to get some out of his nose which could explain why they were fanning into his nose between rounds. Interesting thing is how fast Zuffa had this video removed.
Franklinfan47
4/19/09 7:27:37PM
I guess it wasnt as big of a deal because there wasnt as much grappling in this main event, but they definately need to look into this. Shouldnt be aloud in some situations, and not others.