Anderson Silva: “Gracie’s time is past”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva: “Gracie’s time is past”
MMAcca
9/14/08 11:31:11AM
Pointed as the best pound for pound MMA fighter of the world, Anderson Silva commented the fight between Rousimar Palhares and Dan Henderson, that ended with the unanimous decision victory for the former Pride champion. “I didn’t see the fight, but everybody said that Den Henderson was very superior, as I was expecting. Toquinho (Palhares) is very young, has a lot of thing to go through in the sport and it was a good experience”, said the UFC middleweight champion, that doesn’t believe that only BJJ can bring the fighter to victory in the octagon.

“You have to train everything… People are wrong about MMA. The time when the Gracie’s supremacy was total, when Jiu-Jitsu was the most important, but Gracie’s time is past. That thing about the weak fights the strongest, everybody knows something, avoid the ground, defend a leg-lock, nobody is fool nowadays”, analyzed Anderson. “But who is Andeson Silva to say about it, it happens… It could be the opposite, he could have catch his foot and finish him, but isn’t easy, that guy needs to be respected and Toquinho hasn’t much experience to fight him”, said Anderson to TATAME.com.

LINK
Aether
9/14/08 11:55:55AM
I kind of wish they would get actual translators for some of these things. I get the gist of what he's saying, but I'm 100% positive that he's a lot more eloquent than that in his native tongue. A lot of the translations on MMA sites appear to be direct literal translations which never come across very well.
jocka
9/14/08 12:02:03PM
Anderson is right the Gracie time as past, you need to train everything. Paul Harris in his fight against hendo looked to off the hook BJJ and he was able to take Hendo down so his wrestling is good also. If he would of setup his takedowns better with strikes he could of eon the fight. I just think he should work on his muay thai and he could become one of the best MW is the world.
bullettdodger
9/14/08 12:29:33PM
The time of the Gracies has been past for a loooong time, its been atleast a year or two since being well rounded was the key... its just now that everyone is on the "well rounded boat". But i can't say i disagree, it is soo important to know as much of everything as you can.
saemskin
9/14/08 12:57:47PM
This was made evident to everyone who didn't already know it about 2 or 3 years ago when Matt Hughes stomped the living dogmeat out of Royce Gracie. Total domination. Gracie was never once in a threatening position to Matt.
Kracker_Jap
9/14/08 1:00:38PM
That statment should create some waves
ncordless
9/14/08 3:38:48PM

Posted by jocka

Anderson is right the Gracie time as past, you need to train everything. Paul Harris in his fight against hendo looked to off the hook BJJ and he was able to take Hendo down so his wrestling is good also. If he would of setup his takedowns better with strikes he could of eon the fight. I just think he should work on his muay thai and he could become one of the best MW is the world.

... that's the second time I've seen someone talk about Hendo vs. Paul Harris...
Aether
9/14/08 4:38:08PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

That statment should create some waves

I don't think so. I think it comes across as more disrespectful than it actually is because of the fact that it's a poor translation. I don't think he was actually commenting about the Gracies directly as much as he was just using them as an example of a time when people specialized in one thing, and saying that these days people need to be good at all things.

I think it just kind of comes across as a shot at the Gracies because of how it was translated. I've never heard Anderson be anything but totally respectful, I'm guessing the untranslated comments don't sound disrespectful at all. I guess we'll find out soon enough if the Gracies get upset.
jocka
9/14/08 9:13:51PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by jocka

... that's the second time I've seen someone talk about Hendo vs. Paul Harris...

Even has i was watching the fight i heard Goldberg say Palhares but he pronouced it Paul Harris first thing that came to mind was wow another golberg screwup but after a sec i got it lol
Wolfenstein
9/14/08 9:25:54PM
I don't think it comes off as disrespectful. It just sounds like he's pointing out the fact that BJJ alone isn't enough by itself. People didn't know how to defend themselves against a BJJ fighter but everyone knows most of the common submissions and how to avoid them.