ANderson Silva vs. Georges St. Pierre Superfight Would Be "All About Legacy"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » ANderson Silva vs. Georges St. Pierre Superfight Would Be "All About Legacy"
DCRage
2/2/11 8:04:04AM
That's according to Dana White...if it happens, of course. "What happened is they're both close to cleaning out their division. If Anderson beats Vitor Belfort and St. Pierre beats Jake Shields, seriously, what's left for them? It's a fun fight to do.... The fans [understand] that. No doubt about it [on the challenge of moving up in weight]. That's what I love about this fight. I'm all about legacy. That's what matters more than the money. I love it if a guy will go up for a super fight like this. Anderson Silva has already moved up and fought at 205. For 'GSP' to do it, I think it's big for his legacy."

Article
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/2/11 10:54:09AM
I wonder how people are gonna look at all of this after Anderson gets droppe by Vitor. Would still be a pretty good fight but I do think the hype will tone down just a lil bit after the Belfort fight.
tallica62
2/2/11 10:59:21AM
The way both fighters have looked lately, I would take GSP decision over Silva...his ground control would win it imo
prozacnation1978
2/2/11 11:17:14AM
If both guys win. I really would hope the ufc pushes both or one to give up the title
And move up in weight
Gsp vs silva would be biggest pay per view ever
But I do think gsp should take a tune up fight at 185 before silva
icantthinkofanything
2/2/11 11:49:06AM
not gonna happen, I think these 2 champs stay put for a while, or Anderson fights JON jONES.

p.s I doubt Vitor beats Silva.
AchillesHeel
2/2/11 12:28:24PM
And by "legacy", he means "money."

FastKnockout
2/2/11 12:38:09PM
I think Silva is closing in retirement. If he ends up losing to Peirre, or winning for that matter, it's very possible it will be the last time we see him in the cage.
tallica62
2/2/11 1:36:32PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

not sure...it would prob. be most popular for MMA fans...but do you think it would draw the mroe casual/non mma fans who just watch for big names... i know GSP and Silva are 2 of the biggest names... but imo not as big in the mainstream as lesnar (because of his wrestling bkg), couture (movies and being older and longevity), or even liddell (classic for the sport)...

either way...would be pretty insane
marcoDGK
2/2/11 2:11:31PM
lol man, he hasn't even fought Vitor yet. GSP's fight is so far away so it's a bit different to me. I feel like they are jinx'n Anderson.

This weekends fight is going to show everyone where Anderson stands.
chickmagnet
2/2/11 3:24:20PM
This fight isnt going to happen.
Bubbles
2/2/11 3:58:46PM

Posted by tallica62

Posted by prozacnation1978

not sure...it would prob. be most popular for MMA fans...but do you think it would draw the mroe casual/non mma fans who just watch for big names... i know GSP and Silva are 2 of the biggest names... but imo not as big in the mainstream as lesnar (because of his wrestling bkg), couture (movies and being older and longevity), or even liddell (classic for the sport)...

either way...would be pretty insane

whats to say that Lesnar wouldnt be on that card vs Velasquez...if god forbid he beats JDS? if Couture beats Machida, i could definitely see him getting a title shot...and also be put on this card at years end.
Bubbles
2/2/11 4:01:00PM
personally i think Okami and Fitch should get their title shots before this superfight happens. both have earned it, and Okami is likely to get shafted again. i think Dana is afraid of Silva potentially losing to Okami and thus wrecking his mega million dollar payday
bjj1605
2/2/11 4:39:46PM
No way Anderson is losing to Belfort, I think GSP losing to Shields would be the bigger worry.

pmoney
2/2/11 6:00:44PM
If GSP and Silva both win their next bouts, I want GSP-Kampmann, provided Kampmann beats Diego Sanchez. And then Anderson Silva-Yushin Okami.

But then I think, "Wait, Fitch needs another shot at GSP if he beats BJ Penn"..... And let's not forget about Carlos Condit...

I feel GSP should finish the year at 170, then we'll see what's up with Silva-GSP.
TeamDEY
2/2/11 6:04:58PM
If Silva beats Vitor AND St. Pierre then he def needs to retire. Go out on top.
bjj1605
2/2/11 6:31:31PM

Posted by TeamDEY

If Silva beats Vitor AND St. Pierre then he def needs to retire. Go out on top.

I actually agree. At that point his career would be as legendary as it ever could be. I'd like for one fighter to go out with his aura of invincibility intact.