Anderson Silva Fought at UFC 134: Rio With Injured Shoulder

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva Fought at UFC 134: Rio With Injured Shoulder
FastKnockout
9/5/11 4:14:36PM
Anderson Silva put on a show during his UFC 134: Rio bout against Yushin Okami. It was among the most impressive performances of his career, avenging his last career loss while continuing his record UFC win streak. One would never guess that he entered the fight injured.

LINK
prophecy033
9/5/11 4:51:37PM
That actually makes sense, even if it still looks cocky
tallica62
9/5/11 4:57:44PM
his quote/reasoning for dropping his hands never even dawned on me....so simple yet brilliant...not that we didnt know, but silva is the shizzle
tallica62
9/5/11 4:59:36PM
imagine knowing you could defeat every and any single human being on the face of the earth in hand to hand combat....
Chael_Sonnen
9/5/11 5:19:32PM
Oh boy....first a hurt rib and now a shoulder? Every fighter is "hurt" going into a fight
prophecy033
9/5/11 5:36:30PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Oh boy....first a hurt rib and now a shoulder? Every fighter is "hurt" going into a fight

yeah but how many guys fighting for a championship have pulled out because of an injury. Bones Jones just did it, Cain did it, Shogun did it, Frankie and Maynard did it....etc,etc,etc
Aether
9/5/11 5:53:49PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

yeah but how many guys fighting for a championship have pulled out because of an injury. Bones Jones just did it, Cain did it, Shogun did it, Frankie and Maynard did it....etc,etc,etc

It depends on the severity of the injury. If doctors cleared him to fight, his "injury" is probably nothing more than a little bit of pain/soreness which will almost certainly disappear when the adrenaline hits your bloodstream. It's one thing to have a torn ACL and it's another to have a "sore shoulder".
FastKnockout
9/5/11 6:04:16PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

It depends on the severity of the injury. If doctors cleared him to fight, his "injury" is probably nothing more than a little bit of pain/soreness which will almost certainly disappear when the adrenaline hits your bloodstream. It's one thing to have a torn ACL and it's another to have a "sore shoulder".

It must be pretty bothersome if he needs pain medication for it. I know a sore shoulder doesn't sound like that big of deal, but you have to remember he's about to fight for a championship, not do chores. When you're going against someone in hand to hand combat, I'm pretty sure that sore shoulder would take it's toll.
Chael_Sonnen
9/5/11 6:06:14PM
^^^^^
Good valid points

I just get sick and tired of hearing about injuries a week later....yadda yadda yadda yadda, etc, etc.
prophecy033
9/5/11 6:26:19PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Jones injury obviously wasn't, he didn't even get surgery. Is say the cut off line is surgery. But the fact is fighter pull out of fights all the time for various injuries.
prophecy033
9/5/11 6:30:15PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

^^^^^
Good valid points

I just get sick and tired of hearing about injuries a week later....yadda yadda yadda yadda, etc, etc.

the ones I hate are the Tito excuses a week BEFORE the fight. The ones that are supposed to cover your as in case you lose but dont
Pookie
9/5/11 9:41:37PM
You know, i find that most of the time fighters "excuses" are true.

And because of that, it's a variable that needs to be assessed, and we're kind of lucky if the information comes out.

For instance - if it wasnt common knowledge that Shogun went into the first Forrest fight with a severly injured knee, Forrest would have been a favorite going into the second match.

But clearly, the injury mattered. Variables matter.
tn_rebel
9/5/11 11:30:08PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

^^^^^
Good valid points

Why would a fighter come out and tell his opponent about his injury if he still plans to fight? And its not like he is making an excuse about a loss; he whooped the guy.
TeamDEY
9/5/11 11:37:55PM
He is always hurt
tn_rebel
9/5/11 11:48:03PM

Posted by TeamDEY

He is always hurt

And still makes everyone he fights look foolish.
Sir_Karl
9/6/11 12:02:10AM
Anderson is portrayed and also pretends to be this "humble" man. I don't buy it...I personally feel his "humility" is all a show. I think his admission of being injured at Rio is proof of this An injured fighter who is humble shouldn't even mention the injuries he had in a particular fight.
Pookie
9/6/11 4:07:04AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Anderson is portrayed and also pretends to be this "humble" man. I don't buy it...I personally feel his "humility" is all a show. I think his admission of being injured at Rio is proof of this An injured fighter who is humble shouldn't even mention the injuries he had in a particular fight.

So any fighter who has admitted to an injury during their fight, isn't humble?

That's a long list of top fighters.
prophecy033
9/6/11 12:49:41PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

yeah, i don't buy it either. Dudes a great fighter, perhaps the best ever, but he goes from disrespecting the fighters he's fighting to kneeling at their feet when its over. I don't remember him doing that until he started getting grief for acting like a fool in his fights. I also like how he doesn't speak English, but after the fight he has no problem understanding it. But the truth is he can act however he wants, the dudes King
ghandikush
9/6/11 1:25:25PM
He is an old man and is wearing away. He hasnt looked like the old silva in a while. The Anderson in 06 07 08 even though he had some underwhelming performances like Leitas and Maia he was so fast and seemed to have pretty good cardio.

His last few except the Vitor fight he looked tired and slow if you can ever say Anderson looks slow.

I think he will lose before he retires if he fights top fighters like Jones Thiago etc
bjj1605
9/7/11 10:17:59PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

^^^^^
Good valid points

Why would a fighter come out and tell his opponent about his injury if he still plans to fight? And its not like he is making an excuse about a loss; he whooped the guy.

this.

Its not really an excuse if he won. What is he excusing???