Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin
POLL: Your pick?
Silva TKO 64% (27)
Silva Submission 0% (0)
Silva Decision 0% (0)
Griffin TKO 10% (4)
Griffin Decision 17% (7)
Griffin Decision 10% (4)
RNC
7/22/08 12:07:38AM
I had thought about it before, and after reading an article on ufc.com I figured I would see what you guys thought.

Who would win: Silva vs Griffin

Griffin has a REAL size advantage, not one like James Irvin claimed, but a substantial one. He also should be the stronger of the two. He has great conditioning and a warriors heart. Plus, he is extremely intelligent and can exicute a nice game plan. Forrest has a quick scramble, he can dish out some ground and pound, and not to forget, he has some powerful leg kicks as well.

Silva is a phenomenal striker, as we all know. He is known for controling fights and capitalizing as soon as you make a mistake. He also has a strong clinch and excellent knees. His ground game is also excellent. Overall, he's comfortable where ever the fight goes, and ussually overwelms his opponents with his striking.

So what do you guys think? Is Griffin too big for Silva? Would Silva be able to control him if they clinched up? What about if Griffin took Silva down.. could Silva escape the GNP? Or would Griffin fall victim to Silva's striking and vicious combinations? Let's here some opinions.

Article

Edit: Fifth Choice is supposed to be Griffin Submission.
joshryanshepherd
7/22/08 12:15:33AM
well i say griffin Subs him. but it doesn't matter what all the chumps on here say. they will always count Forrest out. he beat shogun, people say he got lucky, he beats Quinton, people say it was to close to call...he Beats Anderson, people say Anderson is what? to small? he should have stayed at his own class.
big_timmy
7/22/08 12:23:33AM
Dude, Forrest is my boy, and all those fights you say people find excuses for, that annoys me too. He won, get over it. Its who has the W at the end of the day, thats the only thing that matters.

But nope, i dont see him beating Silva. The man is the best P4P fighter in the world for a reason. Because he could beat pretty much anyone on this entire earth. What i'd really like to see is Fedor cut some weight and fight the Spida. That's be one for the ages i believe.

Silva over Forrest via TKO.
Mchubb316
7/22/08 2:47:08AM
Chumps? Come on, no need to call names.lol. I was one to count Forrest out, but after his last two fights, he has proven to be a legit fighter and Champion. He has improved his skills in all aspects of the fight game. He always was tough, and had heart, but now he is the total package. It is hard to say how a fight with Anderson would go. I would have to believe Anderson would beat him, but I also thought he had no chance against Shogun, or Rampage. The only way to tell is if they actually fought, and I don't see it happening any time soon.
stock
7/22/08 9:08:21AM
I voted for the second Griffin - Decision option.
The first one wasn't convincing enough.
State_Champ
7/22/08 10:25:43AM

Posted by big_timmy

Its who has the W at the end of the day, thats the only thing that matters.

Tell that to Anthony Johnson!!!
Aaronno9
7/22/08 11:52:51AM
Anderson would k.o Forrest. I kinda wrote him off against shogun, gave him a good chance of beating jackson, but id call this like 80/20 in favour of anderson. Forrests advantage would be size and wrestling but i think anderson would finish it quick.
warglory
7/22/08 12:29:36PM
When was the last time Anderson fought someone as complete as Forrest though? Yes, Henderson has good hands, but he can be a bit reckless when his gameplan goes to shit and tends to revert to wrestling and risky haymakers. Forrest lately, has shown incredible stand up and some fantastic ground and pound which is probably Anderson's biggest weakness, he also has some of the best gameplanning I have seen which is probably because he works so closely with Couture.

Anderson, unlike most of his fights, will NOT have the reach advantage and will be outweighed. I also don't think that Anderson will be able to work over Forrest on the ground with BJJ because Forrest has become great at nullifying ground attacks.

I think this one would be very close to tell you the truth. too many people seem to have forgotten that Anderson is, indeed, beatable.
jkdskinhead
7/22/08 10:01:18PM
I just dont see Anderson landing those weird angles and wild shots on Forrest. Forrest is really good on his feat, hes not some wrestler with a heavy hand. He would out work Anderson on the feat, and I dont see Andy getting this to the ground. Even if Forrest does take some clean shots, I dont see him going lights out.

tdietel01
7/23/08 9:51:34PM
forrest may be getting too much credit if people say he can out strike silva. i dont know who would win but i dont think forrest has the k.o. power that silva has. he might take the ud if he keeps silva on the ground.
Jackelope
7/24/08 1:17:50AM
Heh, Forrest would get worked. I like Forrest, but- His ground game is based on jits, which Anderson is better at and his standup game is based on peppering people with combos lacking KO power. Silva's standup on the other hand is about overwhelming people with precision accuracy and massive KO power all backed up by an iron chin.

The only real advantage Forrest may have is cardio. We don't really know what Anderson's cardio is like because no one can get him into that deep of water. Forrest is strong, but I doubt he's much stronger than Dan Henderson- especially where it's going to matter which is on the ground in top control and in the clinch for takedowns.

RMFG_187
7/29/08 3:43:20AM
If this happens, I will bet anyone that Forrest will win.

I say TKO round 5
Pookie
7/29/08 4:41:15AM
Forrest does have the reach advantage, but when you look at how he strikes he comes forward without much head movement. Anderson Silva excels at hitting you, and if you dont make your head a hard target to hit the match is already over, lights out.

Someone with little ko power and inferior bjj skills is not going to beat anderson. it will take a very specialized type of fighter to beat anderson.

This is a terrible style match-up for him.
Pookie
7/29/08 4:42:18AM

Posted by warglory

When was the last time Anderson fought someone as complete as Forrest though? Yes, Henderson has good hands, but he can be a bit reckless when his gameplan goes to shit and tends to revert to wrestling and risky haymakers. Forrest lately, has shown incredible stand up and some fantastic ground and pound which is probably Anderson's biggest weakness, he also has some of the best gameplanning I have seen which is probably because he works so closely with Couture.

Anderson, unlike most of his fights, will NOT have the reach advantage and will be outweighed. I also don't think that Anderson will be able to work over Forrest on the ground with BJJ because Forrest has become great at nullifying ground attacks.

I think this one would be very close to tell you the truth. too many people seem to have forgotten that Anderson is, indeed, beatable.

what fight did Forrest show fantastic ground and pound?
mrsmiley
7/29/08 10:49:38PM
LOL.Anderson "SHOULD" win this fight.But everytime Forrest is the underdog he ends up winning,and when he's the favorite he loses.If anyone thinks Anderson wins,I say just root for Forrest,so the opposite outcome would happen if this fight ever happened.