Poll: Does Anderson Silva put too much faith in his defensive grappling?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Poll: Does Anderson Silva put too much faith in his defensive grappling?
POLL: Does Anderson Silva put too much faith in his defensive grappling?
Yes 36% (20)
No 64% (36)
Believe-in-judo81
6/18/07 4:52:58AM
Anybody who has followed Silva's career knows that there have been times were he seemed to let his opponents put him on his back and relied on his hip movement and defensive BJJ to set up subs off his back or work his way back to his feet. Barring his fighter with Lutter which was most likely affected by his knee surgery do you guys think Anderson banks too much on his defensive grappling in lieu of trying more attempts at defending the takedown? I have him Taking Nate Regardless of whether his TD is sharp or not but if it isn't Marquardt will put him in trouble in this fight.

Just my 0.02
Manfred
6/18/07 5:47:26AM
He banks on his defensive grappling for sure. But IMO not TOO much because it's very good.
AchillesHeel
6/18/07 11:21:31AM
I'm with Manfred. Silva's takedown defense could probably be better, but I don't think it's a serious deficiency. He could get out-pointed by a good wrestler someday, but I don't think Marquardt is that guy. Franklin might be. Filho could have been. If Lindland came back to the UFC, I think he'd the perfect guy to take Silva's bling.

I'm picking Silva over Marquardt, and I'll have to think about Franklin, if/when that fight happens again.
XblacksheepX
6/18/07 11:39:07AM
Andersons TD-defense is the only hole in his game imo. He don't need to be too worried about it though. Even a good wrestler won't hold him down long enough to win by points, especially not 5 rounds.
richieb19
6/18/07 11:42:14AM

Posted by XblacksheepX

Andersons TD-defense is the only hole in his game imo. He don't need to be too worried about it though. Even a good wrestler won't hold him down long enough to win by points, especially not 5 rounds.

Have you not seen what Marquardt has been doing lately? I can almost assure you this fight is going to go 5 rounds with Nate on top...
Ydoc
6/18/07 11:50:45AM

XblacksheepX
6/18/07 11:52:04AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by XblacksheepX

Have you not seen what Marquardt has been doing lately? I can almost assure you this fight is going to go 5 rounds with Nate on top...

Hmm, i think he'll be too buisy with defending Andersons submission attempts to do so, as he is that good with it on his back. But i really hope it won't happen like you say because that way it would be a very boring fight. I'd rather say Anderson will KO him in the 3rd round. Let's bet on it!
richieb19
6/18/07 1:12:53PM

Posted by XblacksheepX

Posted by richieb19

Posted by XblacksheepX

Hmm, i think he'll be too buisy with defending Andersons submission attempts to do so, as he is that good with it on his back. But i really hope it won't happen like you say because that way it would be a very boring fight. I'd rather say Anderson will KO him in the 3rd round. Let's bet on it!

Lister is even better off his back, and he was stuffed the whole time...
XblacksheepX
6/18/07 1:42:31PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by XblacksheepX

Posted by richieb19

Posted by XblacksheepX

Yeah, but Lister feels confident on the ground, he comes from bjj and it's his game right there. He also rather like to keep control from his back than standing up again. Anderson probably will try to put a sub on Nate AND working on position to stand up at the same time. Marquardt has to worry about both, and i think that'll make the difference.
AO
6/18/07 1:46:17PM
from Nate's last few pancrase fights and his recent UFC fights he shouldn't have much trouble out muscling silva on the ground.

as for the thread question, how can you even ask? If he was losing decisions all the time I could see it being an issue but he isnt.

Also richieb19 loves you.
grappler0000
6/18/07 5:16:19PM

Posted by XblacksheepX

You don't need to hold him down for 5 rounds if you get mount...Lutter got the mount fairly easily, so there is no reason to believe that Nate can't do the same.
pv3Hpv3p
6/18/07 5:43:51PM
Personally, I think Anderson puts a lot of faith in his striking... Which I would too if I were him...

I think his TD def will be better... Give the guy a break in the Lutter fight... Wasn't he like a month and 1/2 off of surgery on both his knees? Excuses or not, I can't help but think that would slow a man down?

And after all is said and done, everyone says that Lutter exposed this big hole in his game, but Anderson still won the fight on the ground...
Believe-in-judo81
6/18/07 6:41:32PM
I'm really excited for this fight because I really want to see how Anderson plays this. I imagine he'll go with what he's comfortable with and try to work off his back and frustrate Nate, but he's a smart and technical enough fighter that I would like to think he'll work to keep it standing if he gets into trouble on the ground. So I guess I'm expecting him to put himself to the challenge and test the water with Nathan if given the opportunity, but if he finds himself having to play the survival role he'll work to get to his feet and keep it there. We'll just have wait and see but whatever happens I'm expecting an interesting and hotly contested bout.
grappler0000
6/19/07 10:59:09AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Personally, I think Anderson puts a lot of faith in his striking... Which I would too if I were him...

I think his TD def will be better... Give the guy a break in the Lutter fight... Wasn't he like a month and 1/2 off of surgery on both his knees? Excuses or not, I can't help but think that would slow a man down?

And after all is said and done, everyone says that Lutter exposed this big hole in his game, but Anderson still won the fight on the ground...

I agree that Anderson won the fight on the ground...but that was mainly due to the fact that Lutter made a huge mistake...he gave up a great position to go for the arm...that was actually kind of an amateur mistake. I don't think Nate would make the same one in that position.
AchillesHeel
6/19/07 11:27:47AM

Posted by grappler0000

I agree that Anderson won the fight on the ground...

Right. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that Silva didn't just avoid losing to Lutter on the ground, he beat Lutter on the ground.

Posted by grappler0000

[...]but that was mainly due to the fact that Lutter made a huge mistake...he gave up a great position to go for the arm...that was actually kind of an amateur mistake. I don't think Nate would make the same one in that position.

True. In fact, if he got another chance, I bet Lutter would perform better too. Otoh, jumping on your opponents' mistakes is a huge part of the sport, and with more time to train properly, Silva will probably look better against Marquardt.
kimoron
6/20/07 1:39:44AM
silva seems to have faith in whatever he does. with lutter he went after him with strikes and when it went to the ground he was busy at work also. nate may have faith in the fact that he can end it on the ground but silva does aswell and standing up it pretty obvious who has the advantage.
Believe-in-judo81
6/20/07 5:45:02AM
^ Exactly, there's not a doubt in my mind Marquardt will make this a hotly contested bout, but I don't think he has enough on the feet or the ground to finish Anderson before Silva does the same to him.
gutoo
6/21/07 1:39:47PM
WAR SILVA! I BELIVE!
Signal2112
6/21/07 4:36:39PM
He does put a lot of faith in it, but it works for him, he is good at it!
Ultimate_fighter
6/22/07 12:31:23AM
no
punkrockike
6/22/07 9:57:54AM
belive it or not some people dont care if you put them on their back. some people train their whole lives for that very scenario. so no i dont think he banks TOO much on it. i just think he relys on it to help him and rightfully so hes a damn black belt in bjj.
XblacksheepX
7/9/07 2:17:17PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by XblacksheepX

Posted by richieb19

Posted by XblacksheepX

I was wrong. Nate also had to worry about Anderson's strikes from the ground!! Hahaaaaaaa, i mean does someone EVER saw a more technical fighter in MMA????? Holy moly...

For example just look when nate was trying to get from half guard to mount, and anderson just pulled out a full guard?? Amazing! Nate wasn't able to do ANYthing from the top, and he sure is one of the top ground guys on the planet with his pancrase background. Not talking about the stand up..

If Silva stays in that kind of shape, he will rule the whole division for a long long time!
nubby
7/9/07 3:57:36PM
I would like to officaly change my responce from yes to no. He did way better than I thought he would.