Anderson Silva is not Chuck Liddell (Captain Obvious!!)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anderson Silva is not Chuck Liddell (Captain Obvious!!)
Next Page »
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/17/07 3:50:23PM
I just watched Anderson vs Chonan again for the first time in a while and I gotta say Anderson was not at all impressive. Chonan was keeping his hands down at his sides and striking with Anderson. I really like Anderson Silva but IMO Fihlo, Lindland, and Kang would all have more than a 50 % chance of beating him.

What do you guys think? (be nice )
fedorwins1
2/17/07 3:55:38PM
Silva vs Kang would be awesome, Filho and Lindland would obviously take him down and lay n pray to a victory unless Silva can unload quick. Right now though I think Anderson is #1 in the world, Hendo lost recently to Misaki. Lindland is fighting random non important fights like Fedor. While Silva is beating Franklin, Lutter, and Leben.
richieb19
2/17/07 4:04:43PM
Ryo Chonan is heavily underrated, he knew what he was doing that whole fight. Anderson is a great technical striker, and in no way does he compare to Liddell for various reasons, including striking styles. Misaki is getting a bad rap lately because of how he won the GP, but look who he beat in the tournament aside from losing to Filho (whos is just a bad matchup for certain fighters), he beat Phil Baroni, Dan Henderson and Denis Kang. Thats a hell of a feat if you ask me.
fedorwins1
2/17/07 4:06:09PM

Posted by richieb19

Ryo Chonan is heavily underrated, he knew what he was doing that whole fight. Anderson is a great technical striker, and in no way does he compare to Liddell for various reasons, including striking styles. Misaki is getting a bad rap lately because of how he won the GP, but look who he beat in the tournament aside from losing to Filho (whos is just a bad matchup for certain fighters), he beat Phil Baroni, Dan Henderson and Denis Kang. Thats a hell of a feat if you ask me.

I want to see a rematch between Misaki and Kang it would go different now, since Kang isn't hurt. You have to remember that Kang was seriously hurt during that fight.
Manfred
2/17/07 4:06:58PM
I agree with your title. Anderson is much BETTER than Chuck Liddell. He can finish a guy on the ground.
I agree about the Chonan fight, but if you judged Chuck by only the Rampage fight, then he wouldn't look so hot either
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/17/07 4:07:31PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Silva vs Kang would be awesome, Filho and Lindland would obviously take him down and lay n pray to a victory unless Silva can unload quick. Right now though I think Anderson is #1 in the world, Hendo lost recently to Misaki. Lindland is fighting random non important fights like Fedor. While Silva is beating Franklin, Lutter, and Leben.

I would agree that Lindland and Fihlo would win due to better ground skills, but watching that Chonan fight, and a few other fights I dont think Anderson is invincible in the standup like everyone portrays him to be. Even though the Chonan fight was 2 years ago, Ryo was taking it to Anderson both on the ground and standing up.

IMO if Franklin wanted to bang with Anderson (minus the clinch lol) he would do a lot better than what most people give him credit for.
fedorwins1
2/17/07 4:10:20PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by fedorwins1

I would agree that Lindland and Fihlo would win due to better ground skills, but watching that Chonan fight, and a few other fights I dont think Anderson is invincible in the standup like everyone portrays him to be. Even though the Chonan fight was 2 years ago, Ryo was taking it to Anderson both on the ground and standing up.

IMO if Franklin wanted to bang with Anderson (minus the clinch lol) he would do a lot better than what most people give him credit for.

Yes he would do better, he wasn't doing to bad in the standup part he just really needs to learn some clinch defense and I think he could pull out a win or at least make it a more competitive match. Anyway it might seem crazy, but I think that in alittle Marcus Davis would be a top contender to Anderson Silva and it would be a great fight, a Muay Thai expert against a boxing expert and Anderson's ground game might be better, but it would be a great fight.
richieb19
2/17/07 4:26:51PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by richieb19

I want to see a rematch between Misaki and Kang it would go different now, since Kang isn't hurt. You have to remember that Kang was seriously hurt during that fight.

Misaki had just spent the better part of 10 minutes underneath Filho only to end up armbarred. He wasnt fully healthy coming into the finals either.
hippysmacker
2/17/07 5:09:43PM
While I agree Chonan is an underated fighter, I think you are confusing the Anderson Silva of over 2 years ago to the one of today. After that fight he left Chute box and joined Muay Thai dream team. Chute box fighter's generally overwhelm and brawl with wild, explosive rushes. I don't know if that's what they deliberately teach or if they are if they just copying Wandy. Either way it's generally been effective. I don't know if his clinch was perfected with Chute box( because their guys generally have good knees and clinch) or dream team. For whatever reason Silva's technical striking improvced dramatically after he joined Muay Thai dream team .Especially his foot work ,best in MMA to me. The Anderson Silva of today is far more precise, accurate, and veresatile than the same guy from over 2 years ago.He is undefeated since then ( except for a DQ loss to Okami), and even has aBJJ black belt from the Noghs now . The same way Chuck has improved dramatically in all aspects of his game since back to back losses to Randy and Rampage. People get better ( or worse) and IMO Chuck and Anderson are far better fighter's today than they have ever been before.
richieb19
2/17/07 5:23:14PM

Posted by hippysmacker

While I agree Chonan is an underated fighter, I think you are confusing the Anderson Silva of over 2 years ago to the one of today. After that fight he left Chute box and joined Muay Thai dream team. Chute box fighter's generally overwhelm and brawl with wild, explosive rushes. I don't know if that's what they deliberately teach or if they are if they just copying Wandy. Either way it's generally been effective. I don't know if his clinch was perfected with Chute box( because their guys generally have good knees and clinch) or dream team. For whatever reason Silva's technical striking improvced dramatically after he joined Muay Thai dream team .Especially his foot work ,best in MMA to me. The Anderson Silva of today is far more precise, accurate, and veresatile than the same guy from over 2 years ago.He is undefeated since then ( except for a DQ loss to Okami), and even has aBJJ black belt from the Noghs now . The same way Chuck has improved dramatically in all aspects of his game since back to back losses to Randy and Rampage. People get better ( or worse) and IMO Chuck and Anderson are far better fighter's today than they have ever been before.

I wouldnt say his MT skills have imroved that dramatically in the last few years, seeing as Anderson has been kickboxing for well over 10 years to begin with. The camp theory may hold up when comparing his aproach to a fight, but his skillset has never really changed.
hippysmacker
2/17/07 5:30:16PM
I guess we just disagree then, He's no longer sloppy and his footwork is dramatically improved. He has a great chin ala Chuck, and used to just stand flatffoted and dare people to hit him the same way. Not anymore. His approach has changed, but so has his technical skill level. Same way Chuck improved his technique and power punching since he started working with Hackleman.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/17/07 9:12:33PM
Anderson left chute boxe and started Muay Thai dream team, are there any other fighters from his camp in MMA?
xthe_scottx
2/17/07 9:24:20PM
He trains with Assuerio Silva who created Muay thai Dream Team with him, Ryoto Machida, Vitor Belfort, and Carlos Barreto. Also, according to wikipedia his team is now called Black House which i didn't know and can't confirm whether it's true.
hippysmacker
2/17/07 9:35:29PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Anderson left chute boxe and started Muay Thai dream team, are there any other fighters from his camp in MMA?

Actually he is part of a new superteam structure now .It's called Black House (Casa Preta), and is composed of members from BTT, the Muay Thai Dream Team, and Nova UniaƓ. Some of the pople I have definatley read of training with him are Lyoto Machida, Assuerio Silva, Vitor, Carlos barreto, The Nog Brothers. I'm sure their are others, but these are the only ones I definately have heard.

Jeffanori-Gomi
2/18/07 12:06:07AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Actually he is part of a new superteam structure now .It's called Black House (Casa Preta), and is composed of members from BTT, the Muay Thai Dream Team, and Nova UniaƓ. Some of the pople I have definatley read of training with him are Lyoto Machida, Assuerio Silva, Vitor, Carlos barreto, The Nog Brothers. I'm sure their are others, but these are the only ones I definately have heard.

Holy Shiza, that sounds like an insane camp. Mario Sperry from BTT must be sad to lose the nog bros
hippysmacker
2/18/07 12:10:24AM
I don't know if he lost them or if this is an affiliation of his camp in the supercamp. The latter I think.
Spiderman
2/18/07 3:59:42AM
I dont think A.Silva is any better at strikeing than he was 2 years ago . In the ufc I havent seen anything to indicate it .Leban stuck his chin out , and Franklin didnt defend in the clinch . Imo the ufc 185 lb division is / was way overated ! Imo if A.Silva stood with Melvin Manhoef they would be looking for Silvas head in the fifth row so a doc can sew it back on . I dont think A.Silva is even on the level of Hendo , or Filho !

I would say its pretty clear if you go by wins and loses over quality oppenents that Paulo Filho is the #1 183-87 fighter . His recent record , + 2 wins over mma legends while in there prime[ Keiichiro Yamamiya . Yuki Kondo ]

Win Kazuo Misaki Submission (Armbar) PRIDE-Bushido 13 11/5/2006 1 9:43
Win Ryo Chonan Submission (Armbar) PRIDE-Bushido 12 8/26/2006 1 2:30
Win Gregory Bouchelaghem Decision (Unanimous) PRIDE-Bushido 11 6/4/2006 2 5:00
Win Murilo Rua Decision (Unanimous) PRIDE-Bushido 10 4/2/2006 2 5:00
Win Ryuta Sakurai Submission (Armbar) PRIDE-Bushido 9 9/25/2005 1 3:49
Win Amar Suloev Submission (Armbar) PRIDE-Bushido 6 4/3/2005 1 4:22

Imo

Filho
Hendo
Busta
Ninja
Kang
Gono
Marquedt
Suloev
Manhoef
Akiyama
Chonan
Misaki
Lindland

Are all better fighters than A.Silva and would beat him if they fought .

mmadb
2/18/07 10:41:53AM
I don't know if I'd put all those guys over Silva but man is he overrated imo.

I mean the only 2 fighters he's ever beat worth mentioning are Franklin & Newton. How anyone can rank him as the #1 MW in the world is beyond me.

Filho would beat him every time. Sure his fights are boring but he will take you down and hammerfist you for 15 minutes to an easy unanimous decision.

Lindland would probably do the same.

Franklin probably wouldn't have lost if he respected the man's clinch more but Franklin is a way better match up for Silva than Filho or Lindland.

I think Kang would dominate him and hell I'd even take Misaki over Silva.

Sadly though, the UFC has nobody to take his belt except MAYBE Franklin.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/18/07 2:31:13PM
The last Franklin fight was horrible on Franklins part. Clinch 101...If your eating knees close the distance, push him up against the cage get him off balance and get your underhooks in. Dont pretend your forearms are Thai pads and let the guy unload on you. I've been in lots of Thai clinches (granted no knees to the face :P) and I was shocked to see Franklin not even doing beginner Clinch defence. Granted easier said than done and I can criticize all I want cause I sure wasnt in Andersons clinch.
AchillesHeel
2/18/07 2:57:21PM
I agree that PRIDE has more elite 185ers than the UFC does right now. However, part of that is due to not having a 170 division. Georges St. Pierre, Matt Hughes, and Diego Sanchez could all hang with Kang, Filho, et al.

I also agree that Franklin seems most likely to defeat Silva, but let's not forget Marquardt.
jocksmall
2/18/07 3:44:18PM
first let me say anderson is no chuck. that is true he is also no dan henderson. ufc champion doesnt make him #1
mmadb
2/18/07 5:13:59PM
Ya I forgot about Marquardt. Other than Franklin, Marquardt and hell let's go with Okami (since I think he'll beat Swick and he's beat Silva before, albeit by DQ) as the only ones in the UFC who could beat Silva.
masodd
7/13/07 7:16:30PM
Anderson would knock out liddell easily he would dominate anyone in mma besides fedor
johny_rotten
7/13/07 10:45:06PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I like what you are trying to say here but you have some wrong information. Anderson left Chute Box, and was paid to join BTT to teach Muay Thai. This is also when he received his black belt from the Nog brothers. It was after he left BTT that he started the Muay Thai Dream Team that is now known as Black House.

I agree with your point though. When Anderson stepped in the ring with Ryo he was training with BTT. As many before him have learned when you are teaching full time it is hard to focus on your training. That Anderson is not a good reflection of the fighter that is dominating the UFC today.
jocksmall
7/14/07 11:45:48PM
i think that lindland would have a decent chance of winning(40-50%)kang about the same. i believe that dan henderson would be a favorite, his hands are very heavy he is a monster in the clinch, and he would be stronger than anderson
johny_rotten
7/15/07 12:18:25PM

Posted by jocksmall

i think that lindland would have a decent chance of winning(40-50%)kang about the same. i believe that dan henderson would be a favorite, his hands are very heavy he is a monster in the clinch, and he would be stronger than anderson

Kang wouldn't have a chance. His strength is Anderson's as well, but Anderson is 50 times better at it. He would rush in at the beginning and get dropped quick.

I disagree that Dan would have the best chance. Matt Lindland has adapted wrestling much better to MMA. Dan doesn't have the devastating take downs that Matt has, and isn't a smothering when he gets on top. Dan also might make the mistake of standing with Anderson. I don't care how heavy his right hand is, if he stands with Silva he will go to sleep. Anderson isn't Wandy. He is much more technical, but probably more devastating.

I do think Lindland would have the best chance. I don't think I would pick him to win though. He could sit on Anderson for 5 rounds and get the descion, but his problem would be the same as Nate's and Rich's. Matt doesn't have the fire power on the ground or standing to finish Anderson, and Silva is way to dangerous to keep around for 5 rounds. Matt has also proved he has a weak chin in the past. A weak chin against arguably the best striker in the game is a bad combo.
zephead
7/15/07 12:43:36PM
We can scratch Nate the Great off that list.
x_soa_x
7/27/07 2:29:03AM

Posted by jocksmall

first let me say anderson is no chuck. that is true he is also no dan henderson. ufc champion doesnt make him #1

Being a champion makes you #1 in your org. automatically.
hippysmacker
7/27/07 3:39:49AM

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by hippysmacker

I like what you are trying to say here but you have some wrong information. Anderson left Chute Box, and was paid to join BTT to teach Muay Thai. This is also when he received his black belt from the Nog brothers. It was after he left BTT that he started the Muay Thai Dream Team that is now known as Black House.

I agree with your point though. When Anderson stepped in the ring with Ryo he was training with BTT. As many before him have learned when you are teaching full time it is hard to focus on your training. That Anderson is not a good reflection of the fighter that is dominating the UFC today.

Thanks for the clear up. I always appreciate good sources of info. I'm not questioning your sources, but if you could post or PM them to me I would appreciate it. I scour the internet everyday trying to find as much info as possible about MMA
cmill21
7/27/07 4:05:55AM
Why are people still undecutting Silva? I remember the talk of Nate beating him...that was just that...alll talk. Henderson silva would be awsome, I don't think kang would do well at all, Rich will hopefully have a better showing, but he'll probly lose in round one or two. Silva's getting better and better every fight.
Pages: [1] 2