Anderson Silva's camp talking possible Jon Jones bout at catchweight this year

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva's camp talking possible Jon Jones bout at catchweight this year
FastKnockout
2/26/13 4:33:01PM
UFC Middleweight champ Anderson Silva's agent, Jorge Guimaraes, teased the possibility of a super fight between Silva and Light Heavyweight champ Jon Jones later this year in New York at a catchweight of 190 pounds.

Link
Theoutlaw08
2/26/13 4:38:52PM
Yeah right. I'll believe it and get excited when Bruce Buffer is announcing their names before the fight.
airkerma
2/26/13 5:05:55PM
Jones at 190? That sounds borderline impossible. Hopefully after enough cash and parleying they'll reach a reasonable middle ground.
FastKnockout
2/26/13 5:10:38PM
195 seems fair. 10 down from 205 and 10 up from 185.
sparky
2/26/13 5:18:05PM
How come Anderson will fight Irvin, Forrest, & Bonnar at 205 but, right when its a top ranked guy the fight has to be at a catch weight.

No disrespect but Andersons' antics are just getting old now seriously fight whoever the UFC ask at the weight class they ask like your a fighter thats what they pay you to do
Bubbles
2/26/13 5:51:25PM

Posted by sparky

How come Anderson will fight Irvin, Forrest, & Bonnar at 205 but, right when its a top ranked guy the fight has to be at a catch weight.

I'd probably get a temp ban if I truly spoke my mind on this, but I'll just say that this is a complete joke if it's true
FastKnockout
2/26/13 5:58:08PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by sparky

I'd probably get a temp ban if I truly spoke my mind on this, but I'll just say that this is a complete joke if it's true

Because Jones is a big boy.. Even at LHW.
Bubbles
2/26/13 6:01:38PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Griffin and Bonnar aren't?
FastKnockout
2/26/13 6:07:31PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by FastKnockout

Yeah, but Bones is already being considered for HW. He's a little more high risk, so I can't blame Anderson's camp for wanting to even out the playing field.
grappler0000
2/26/13 6:23:11PM
I don't care if he has stipulations when moving up to fight someone. I don't care at all. It's his career, so it's his choice. Obviously as a fan, I hope negotiations for super-fights go as easy as possible, but it is not the responsibility for fighters to even do those fights. When he gets demanding with his title challengers is where I draw the line. Champions should not pick who they fight or under what conditions when the title is on the line.
Bubbles
2/26/13 6:26:46PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by FastKnockout

Yeah, but Bones is already being considered for HW. He's a little more high risk, so I can't blame Anderson's camp for wanting to even out the playing field.

thats due to his age and that his body will eventually fill out, and because he has almost cleaned out his division...much like Anderson when he used to fight at 170 and had no new contenders at MW
ncordless
2/26/13 6:42:06PM

Posted by grappler0000

I don't care if he has stipulations when moving up to fight someone. I don't care at all. It's his career, so it's his choice. Obviously as a fan, I hope negotiations for super-fights go as easy as possible, but it is not the responsibility for fighters to even do those fights. When he gets demanding with his title challengers is where I draw the line. Champions should not pick who they fight or under what conditions when the title is on the line.

He has the right to demand stipulations, but this stipulation is impossible, so really what he is asking for is for the fight not to happen.

Jones at 190 is silly. The fight has to happen at 205, and needs to happen soon before Jones can't make 205 anymore.
grappler0000
2/26/13 6:51:17PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by grappler0000

He has the right to demand stipulations, but this stipulation is impossible, so really what he is asking for is for the fight not to happen.

Jones at 190 is silly. The fight has to happen at 205, and needs to happen soon before Jones can't make 205 anymore.

It may be silly and even impossible. Maybe he doesn't even want to fight him. Who knows? I won't be wasting my energy getting angry over something he has no obligation to do though. If he were calling Jones out, then I'd care a little more, but from what I've seen it's everyone else that's pushing for the fight. The UFC (or the fans, for that matter) can't tell him he has to fight him though, which is what I was responding to.
emfleek
2/26/13 7:19:04PM
Helwani says UFC Tonight will have breaking news tonight. Some people are mentioning a possible "super fight" announcement...
jjeans
2/26/13 7:29:15PM

Posted by emfleek

Helwani says UFC Tonight will have breaking news tonight. Some people are mentioning a possible "super fight" announcement...

Jones is fighting Sonnen so.............................
jae_1833
2/26/13 7:46:11PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by emfleek

So...he will get his ass kicked!
The voice of reason has spoken!
jjeans
2/26/13 7:59:22PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by jjeans

Posted by emfleek

So...he will get his ass kicked!
The voice of reason has spoken!

Sonnen/Silva 3 for the LHW title?
prophecy033
2/26/13 10:12:15PM
Stop talking about doing it and actually set it up. Until then its all Blah Blah Blah
ncordless
2/27/13 1:16:44AM

Posted by emfleek

Barao and Aldo vs. Velasquez.
isk
2/27/13 3:20:00AM
I love Silva/Jones, but it needs to be at 205. Anderson can legitimately fight at LHW, but the only weight talk involving Bones involves moving up in the not distant future.

I hope it's nothing more than a negotiating tactic. Give Anderson his money, let him either add another notch to his legacy or be a part of the next generation adding to his.

While I think Silva / GSP would be a bigger PPV buy, I don't think it'd be by much. Anderson would get to play the good guy for once if he goes against Bones, and he's huge enough everywhere that most fans would pay to see him have the chance to silence MMA's Tom Brady.
cowcatcher
2/27/13 10:15:53AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by emfleek

Barao and Aldo vs. Velasquez.

cowcatcher
2/27/13 10:22:35AM
Anderson asking for this shows that he isn't serious about fighting Jones. Anderson has earned the right to call some of the shots in his career, he's beaten everyone they put in front of him, but this just makes him look bad. He's undefeated at 205, if he wanted to fight Jones, he'd fight him there. It's stupid to even suggest the fight should be at 190. If you don't want the fight, say you don't want the fight. don't act like a prima donna and make ridiculous stipulations.

Andy the fighter - Awesome
Andy outside of the cage -