Anderson Silva: Best Pound for Pound fighter in the UFC!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anderson Silva: Best Pound for Pound fighter in the UFC!
Twenty20Dollars
7/16/07 1:35:04PM
http://ufcmania.com/2007/07/16/anderson-silva-best-pound-for-pound-fighter-in-the-ufc/

Read it before you start bitching.

I agree for the most part.
GrandMaster313
7/16/07 1:44:32PM
i'd have to say that's a safe assumption
SSfighter51
7/16/07 1:45:30PM
DEFFINENTLY!!!! THE SPIDERS A BEAST!!!!

hes ranked number one on my pound for pounds.
id like to see him go up to light heavies, when and if he finishes off the rest of the middles.
Copenhagen
7/16/07 1:51:58PM

Posted by SSfighter51

DEFFINENTLY!!!! THE SPIDERS A BEAST!!!!

hes ranked number one on my pound for pounds.
id like to see him go up to light heavies, when and if he finishes off the rest of the middles.

Yeah and you also have Fedor as 9th on P4P.
Twenty20Dollars
7/16/07 1:53:14PM
were talking about p4p fighters in the UFC, fedors not in the ufc yet
Copenhagen
7/16/07 1:57:47PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

He's talking about having Silva #1 P4P on MMAPlayground. So I mentioned how he also has Fedor as 9th on there.
cowcatcher
7/16/07 1:57:48PM
its getting harder to not call him the best p4p fighter in the ufc. bj could be the guy if he gets past sherk, and if gsp gets back on track against kos hes gotta be right up there, and an arguement could be made for hendo as hes holding 2 belts right now. and im forgetting shogun, its hard to choose 1 as the best p4p, but shogun gets my vote and all these guys are right up there.
AchillesHeel
7/16/07 1:58:09PM
The author's logic is horribly flawed. He cites the lack of competition in the UFC's Middleweight division as evidence that Anderson is one of the best fighters in the whole UFC.

SSfighter51
7/16/07 2:00:55PM

Posted by Copenhagen

He's talking about having Silva #1 P4P on MMAPlayground. So I mentioned how he also has Fedor as 9th on there.

yeah i honestly believe, p4p...all the fighters in front of him on that lis...deserve to be in front of him. (w/ the exception of chuck)
cmill21
7/16/07 2:07:56PM
You think there are 9 fighters better then fedor?
grappler0000
7/16/07 2:08:15PM

Posted by SSfighter51

Posted by Copenhagen

yeah i honestly believe, p4p...all the fighters in front of him on that lis...deserve to be in front of him. (w/ the exception of chuck)

DevonFoxy
7/16/07 2:08:16PM
Yea i mean I'm a huge Spider fan but no way is he P4P better then guys like GSP and BJ Penn. He needs more competition i mean yea hes a dominate champ but be4 he gets P4P id like to see him take on Henderson and see how he fares against him.
SSfighter51
7/16/07 2:12:24PM
i do give him a little less favor since hes not my fav...but you cant say p4p all those guys wouldnt have great matches with fedor..(the ones infront of him on my list)
AchillesHeel
7/16/07 2:26:20PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Yea i mean I'm a huge Spider fan but no way is he P4P better then guys like GSP and BJ Penn. He needs more competition i mean yea hes a dominate champ but be4 he gets P4P id like to see him take on Henderson and see how he fares against him.

Right. I'm looking forward to the rematch with Franklin, plus (hopefully) a match against Kampmann, plus some better competition, such as Hendo, Denis Kang, or Matt Lindland (or, better yet, all three of them).

Anderson Silva is clearly one of the UFC's best fighters, although the blog cited above doesn't even try to explain how or why.
fedorwins1
7/16/07 2:37:57PM
Denis Kang is trying to get with the UFC, so I think he has a great shot at taking out Anderson and also if they would've let Paulo Filho fight in the UFC instead of the WEC, he could take Anderson also.
SpiderSilva
7/16/07 4:08:10PM
Aderson Silva right now as domanint as he is right now in his weight class its hard to say he isnt. Lutter almost had Silva but didnt.
There have been times when Fedor looked like he was gonna lose (i.e. Mark Hunt fight) and he is well Fedor.
Right now in the UFC who can say they came in beat a up and comming fighter with 9 punches(Lebon) then destroy the then 22-1 Champ who by the way looked unbeatable (Franklin) after winning the title beating his opponent at his own game (Lutter) then comming out and running through Marquardt and by the way he made Marquardt look stupid like he shouldnt even be in the ring with Silva and until they bring in those other guys like Kang, Filho, Linland, and if Hendo want to come down to give Silva some comp.
Until then Silva will continue to destroy all commers and cement his legacy as one of the best UFC middleweights of all time or even the best who knows only time will tell
Hell he could go down to 170 and fight too
Aether
7/16/07 4:20:10PM
look he's a great fighter, but right now he's dominant because he's in the weakest weightclass in the UFC. I have a hard time putting him above fighters like BJ who have done things like move up to welterweight to beat a dominant champion in a tough division when they are already rated #1 in their own weightclass. That is a TRUE great P4P fighter. Also fighters like Kid Yamamoto and Fedor who regularly fight opponents with large weight, reach, and height advantages while remaining dominant.

I don't think anderson has really showed us any of these qualities.
ocho-cinco
7/16/07 4:38:57PM
Sliva is the man, and is making a case for best P4P, but he still is a few wins away. Most importantly, he needs to defend against Franklin. To often we start hyping someone up and then they lose. Silva is well on his way but he aint there yet.
mkiv9secsupra
7/16/07 5:38:59PM
obviously silva is a beast but right now being the best 185lb'er in the ufc aint much.....that weight class is just soooo thinned out right now that there is no real competition....its Silva #1 and Franklin #2 okami #3 then after that its just a huge dropoff in talent. I just hope Okami gets the next title shot to see how he can do.....

i think Anderson wouldnt be NEARLY as dominant if he didnt have his reach...if he was 4 inches shorter(right there with most of the other 185ers) then Franklin, Marquart, and quite a few others would beat him.
nubby
7/16/07 6:43:58PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

obviously silva is a beast but right now being the best 185lb'er in the ufc aint much.....that weight class is just soooo thinned out right now that there is no real competition....its Silva #1 and Franklin #2 okami #3 then after that its just a huge dropoff in talent. I just hope Okami gets the next title shot to see how he can do.....

i think Anderson wouldnt be NEARLY as dominant if he didnt have his reach...if he was 4 inches shorter(right there with most of the other 185ers) then Franklin, Marquart, and quite a few others would beat him.

But he does have th reach advantage so you have to take that into consideration.
tommyprairie
7/16/07 6:47:32PM
I agree. Very well rounded and dangerous from everywhere. I think with his new camp he will be dominant for a while
grappler0000
7/16/07 8:18:09PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I think if he were missing one of his legs, he wouldn't be nearly as dominant.
TOMMYAYO05
7/16/07 8:27:03PM

Denis Kang is trying to get with the UFC, so I think he has a great shot at taking out Anderson and also if they would've let Paulo Filho fight in the UFC instead of the WEC, he could take Anderson also.
I would love to see Filho and Kang in the Ufc that would boost the middleweight division so much!!but i think anderson silva is the best middleweight but p4p i say shogun,bj and fedor are better for sure.
Northrend
7/16/07 8:35:01PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Nah, he would just throw flying knees with 1 leg and still KO people
mkiv9secsupra
7/16/07 9:20:51PM

Posted by Northrend

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Nah, he would just throw flying knees with 1 leg and still KO people

no actually he would still be able to pull off a triangle choke......
Twenty20Dollars
7/16/07 10:58:30PM
just needs to improve his wrestling if he chooses too.
SpiderSilva
7/17/07 1:29:19AM
no way he needs wrestling dude hold a blackbelt in wrestler kriptonite most well rounded UFC champ right now
grappler0000
7/17/07 9:55:47AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

no way he needs wrestling dude hold a blackbelt in wrestler kriptonite most well rounded UFC champ right now

wrestler kriptonite? based on? how many top level wrestlers has he faced...or are even in the UFC MW division? The guy has some mean striking and BJJ, but his Achilles heel is definitely his wrestling.
Signal2112
7/17/07 10:18:02AM
Well, Anderson is looking very, very good right now.