Anderson Silva Possible Move DOWN to WW.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Anderson Silva Possible Move DOWN to WW.
juanez13
3/2/08 1:14:06PM
anybody else see his post-fight interview on ufc.com???

at the end he mentioned he wanted to fight a middleweight boxing champion to show how technical MMA is, and he was asked about a possible move up weight, but he responded that moving up weight isnt a problem he wants to deal with, but possibly who knows, maybe move DOWN.
i'd be nuts to see A.Silva vs GSP and WW.
tuvok500
3/2/08 1:16:44PM
Go GSP !!

But i would prefer to see them fighting in the MW division, GSP would receive all the glory by beating Silva in his own weight class !!

Tailgunner
3/2/08 1:19:56PM
I feel sorry for anyone in the WW division if Silva ever moved down, he is just too big for even GSP too handle.

What if Silva held the WW-MW-LHW UFC titles all at once?
Kpro
3/2/08 1:19:59PM
We don't need Anderson facing any WW's and taking away title chances for all of the deserving WW"s in the UFC.

If he wants to change weights he should go up to LHW. I would absolutely not want to see him face WW fighters unless they made a division move, not him.
seanfu
3/2/08 1:51:31PM
Silva would probably be dominated by any top wrestler in the WW division. If he moved down he would be weak and tired. Also if he was put down then he would probably have a lazy inactive guard. Anderson could probably move down to a catchweight but that would be about it.

Keep in mind Silva is just a little undersized for 185 but could not make 170. He walks at 195 to 200.

If somehow he made the cut with only minor energy loss he would still have to deal with speed and talent issues. MW is the weakest division right next to heavyweight and MW is much sloppier.

Agility, kicking, stamina, and range would all pose a problem, then again, have you ever seen a clinch as damaging and powerful as Silvas?

My humble opinion, stay middleweight and become a legend or embarass GSP at catchweight. Also a move up is out of the question.

The only remaining tests are Okami and if Hamill moves down. Marquart is a possible fight but I see the Franklin rematch effect where the fight goes one extra round.

Hey maybe is Fedor moves down he'll have a challenge!
Manfred
3/2/08 2:14:08PM
I personally think WW is a better move than LHW. LHW is so stacked and complicated that they don't need another top guy.

mkiv9secsupra
3/2/08 2:20:41PM
Silva may believe it in his head but he cant make 170 consistently or healthy. He already cuts lots of weight to make 185. another 15 on top of that is insane and would probably dehydrate him too much. Silva will never go to 170. 205 is his only choice IF he were to move, which he wont
Tailgunner
3/2/08 3:18:47PM

Posted by seanfu

Keep in mind Silva is just a little undersized for 185 but could not make 170. He walks at 195 to 200.

Silva has already fought at 170 before, Sakurai.
Rush
3/2/08 5:15:51PM
I don't know if Anderson Silva could make 170. It was said on the countdown that he is big even for MW. I don't see it happening.
mkiv9secsupra
3/2/08 5:18:07PM

Posted by seanfu

i dont remember where i read it but he said he walks around at 213 on average
Rush
3/2/08 5:19:45PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by seanfu

I think it was on the countdown to UFC 82 show.
bls1919
3/2/08 5:36:27PM
If this were to happen i think he would be the first multi belt holder in the UFC IMO
jomatty
3/2/08 7:30:36PM
if he were to move down then not only would the gsp fight be awesome but so would the bj penn fight. call me crazy, and its been said on this issue before, but penn is crazy enough to take the fight at mw and would definitely be willing to fight at ww. he is definitely gsp's biggest obstacle right now, so lets hope he cleans out lw and gsp cleans out ww, and then since andersons already cleaned out mw we will really have something to look forward too.
Tailgunner
3/2/08 7:41:57PM

Posted by Rush

I don't know if Anderson Silva could make 170. It was said on the countdown that he is big even for MW. I don't see it happening.

What part of "he already fought Sakurai at 170" didn't you guys understand??

Silva can and has already made 170 lb.
Jackelope
3/2/08 8:09:02PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by seanfu

Yep, it was also in an interview I read on Sherdog.com. Silva said his walking weight during transition phases is 212
bls1919
3/2/08 10:31:14PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Silva could cut to 170 if he wanted to. It would be a classic match between him and GSP. With Silva GnPing a victory in the 2nd
cj_striker
3/3/08 12:48:36PM
If Silva ever cut to 170 to fight GSP he would get crushed. He would be too dehydrated and weak from the cut to compete with GSP's athletism, he may be able to beat a few other top 15 WW after the cut, but not GSP, Fitch, or even Kos IMO (all too strong and athletic). SIlva would be a complete idiot if he ever made that cut to fight GSP, his best bet is definitely to agree to a catch weight or somehow intice GSP to move up to middleweight. And as far as a move up to LHW for Anderson, well it's a similar situation as the WW division. He couldn't beat Rampage (way too big and strong), but would have a chance against a few other top 10 LHW. I know people will say well he beat Hendo who fights at 205, but IMO Hendo looked better at 205 surprisingly, but even in that fight Hendo showed what Rampage or other good LHW wrestlers would have to do to beat Anderson, and if him and Hendo fought again I feel Hendo would apply that strategy and beat him. Anderson's best move is to stay right where he is and continue to dominate the division, which I'm sure he realizes (he seems to be an intelligent guy). I still would go for Franklin or Hendo to beat him no matter how many times they fight, but the truth be told Anderson deserves to be atop that divsion and if he's smart he'll continue what he's doing and not mess up a good thing. But at the same time, I understand a fighter wanting to prove he truly is the best in the world and maybe he feels he does need to beat GSP or Rampage to prove that and if that is the case, then by all means attempt to do so.
Mayhem13
3/3/08 1:10:59PM

Posted by cj_striker

If Silva ever cut to 170 to fight GSP he would get crushed. He would be too dehydrated and weak from the cut to compete with GSP's athletism, he may be able to beat a few other top 15 WW after the cut, but not GSP, Fitch, or even Kos IMO (all too strong and athletic). SIlva would be a complete idiot if he ever made that cut to fight GSP, his best bet is definitely to agree to a catch weight or somehow intice GSP to move up to middleweight. And as far as a move up to LHW for Anderson, well it's a similar situation as the WW division. He couldn't beat Rampage (way too big and strong), but would have a chance against a few other top 10 LHW. I know people will say well he beat Hendo who fights at 205, but IMO Hendo looked better at 205 surprisingly, but even in that fight Hendo showed what Rampage or other good LHW wrestlers would have to do to beat Anderson, and if him and Hendo fought again I feel Hendo would apply that strategy and beat him. Anderson's best move is to stay right where he is and continue to dominate the division, which I'm sure he realizes (he seems to be an intelligent guy). I still would go for Franklin or Hendo to beat him no matter how many times they fight, but the truth be told Anderson deserves to be atop that divsion and if he's smart he'll continue what he's doing and not mess up a good thing. But at the same time, I understand a fighter wanting to prove he truly is the best in the world and maybe he feels he does need to beat GSP or Rampage to prove that and if that is the case, then by all means attempt to do so.

I agree that the WW cut may take too much out of him to fight GSP, but I dont know about the LHW move up.

he will be giving up strength to Rampage sure....but we have seen 3 times now, that Ramapage has no defense for the Thai Clench, and Silva's is better then Wanderleis or Shoguns clench....if he can get inside and use the clench he could beat Rampage.
Rush
3/3/08 1:46:13PM

Posted by Tailgunner

What part of "he already fought Sakurai at 170" didn't you guys understand??

Silva can and has already made 170 lb.

Oh yeah, I understood what you were saying, but honestly, I don't consider it relevant because he fought Mach almost six years ago. Had he fought at 170 in the past two years, I would have considered it, but six years is a long time and it spans a time in Silva's life (just before you turn 30) where, in a lot of cases, the body starts to slow down and change.
kronker
3/3/08 8:34:37PM
He should move up or the UFC should invest in some middleweights. Dana's ego is going to start hurting them soon when Elite XC starts busting hardcore on CBS.

Anderson should move up and fight some boys in the big leagues. He's fought against big boys before.
Pookie
3/3/08 8:38:09PM
I'd be willing to bet that If silva does move into another weight division it will be the LHW division, not the WW division.