Anderson: “Paulo Filho is the best middleweight”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson: “Paulo Filho is the best middleweight”
Ordep
9/7/08 10:14:41PM

Pointed for many as the best pound for pound MMA fighters, Anderson Silva has no doubts on pointing his favorite athlete in his own division. “Paulão (Paulo Filho) is no comments, he’s complete. I think he’s absolute in this division, there’s nobody to beat him. In my opinion, he’s the best middleweight”, said Anderson, that doesn’t think about unifying the WEC and UFC belts in a fight against Filho.

“I would never fight with Paulão. We almost train together, we’re always helping each other and (Josuel) Distak is our coach. There’s no chance to happen. People can complain, scream, whatever, but it won’t happen”, said the UFC middleweight champion.

Source: Tatame
kasual
9/7/08 10:41:03PM
That's a very big thing of Anderson to say, of course I would never think that Anderson would consider himself the best. The best fighters never seem to consider themselves number one and are constantly evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of another fighter. Once you put yourself in a position above your contemporaries the inevitable fall from grace is that much harder.

Now here is hoping that plans to move the heavies from WEC to the UFC doesn't create a situation much like Shogun and Wanderlei entertained in Pride. Two top competitors in the same weight class, train in the same camp and never would fight each other, so while one remains champion the other is always destined to be second best. That was very unfortunate for Shogun as he spent his best years in Wanderlei's shadow, now he is fighting chronic injury just to step into the octagon. That is the problem with a few really dominant camps producing the best fighters, while it is inevitable this will happen, it is coupled with the best fighters also being centralized in one promotion. Imagine the headaches Joe Silva is going to endure down the road as stablemates wont fight and the match making hierarchies are a mess. Of course, the UFC doesn't seem too concerned with fighters winning the right matches to earn title shots right now, coaching the Ultimate Fighter, or having a highlight knockout over an also ran seems to suffice these days.

Associating the belts with the reality show had to be the worst choice they ever made for fighters and fans, now fighters wait months (or even years) risking injury or dethroning while the show runs and then the coaches fight. Meanwhile the fans see promising guys go without the opportunity to prove they are the best. Sorry, this ended up a starbucks fueled tangent.
imanidiot777
9/7/08 10:43:26PM

Posted by kasual

That's a very big thing of Anderson to say, of course I would never think that Anderson would consider himself the best. The best fighters never seem to consider themselves number one and are constantly evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of another fighter. Once you put yourself in a position above your contemporaries the inevitable fall from grace is that much harder.

Now here is hoping that plans to move the heavies from WEC to the UFC doesn't create a situation much like Shogun and Wanderlei entertained in Pride. Two top competitors in the same weight class, train in the same camp and never would fight each other, so while one remains champion the other is always destined to be second best. That was very unfortunate for Shogun as he spent his best years in Wanderlei's shadow, now he is fighting chronic injury just to step into the octagon. That is the problem with a few really dominant camps producing the best fighters, while it is inevitable this will happen, it is coupled with the best fighters also being centralized in one promotion. Imagine the headaches Joe Silva is going to endure down the road as stablemates wont fight and the match making hierarchies are a mess. Of course, the UFC doesn't seem too concerned with fighters winning the right matches to earn title shots right now, coaching the Ultimate Fighter, or having a highlight knockout over an also ran seems to suffice these days.

Associating the belts with the reality show had to be the worst choice they ever made for fighters and fans, now fighters wait months (or even years) risking injury or dethroning while the show runs and then the coaches fight. Meanwhile the fans see promising guys go without the opportunity to prove they are the best. Sorry, this ended up a starbucks fueled tangent.

It would also be nice if people could do what Franklin and Hamill did, put your friend status aside for 15 or 25 minutes and then no matter what happens resume friendship after.
Wolfenstein
9/7/08 11:05:12PM
It's a good thing the fight won't happen, because Anderson would cripple him.

Paulo is a great ground fighter, but his standup isn't great. I would say he is far from a complete fighter. I like Filho, but he's just not a very well rounded fighter.
jgtribbett
9/7/08 11:08:04PM
i hated that shogun could never surpass wandy... wandy even said that shogun was better.

and as far as putting friendship aside... thats fine.. but i, and many agree, that hamill didnt perform as well as he might had if he hadnt trained with franklin.

same way with jackson and hendo.. hendo was ready for sport and jackson was ready to kill..

it just doesnt work out, the only way to see who's better between two partners is to watch them in practice... not in the octagon.

just my opinion though
prozacnation1978
9/7/08 11:08:08PM
then why don't fihlo let sonnen beat him so then silva can face chael in a wec vs ufc bout
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/8/08 12:01:53AM

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by kasual

It would also be nice if people could do what Franklin and Hamill did, put your friend status aside for 15 or 25 minutes and then no matter what happens resume friendship after.

Shawn17
9/8/08 12:13:19AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

then why don't fihlo let sonnen beat him so then silva can face chael in a wec vs ufc bout

Cause people dont let people win. This is mixed martial arts. Also your an idiot.
warglory
9/8/08 1:56:10AM

Posted by Shawn17

Cause people dont let people win. This is mixed martial arts. Also your an idiot.

Dude, quit with the Sherdoggin', its really not welcomed here.
Aether
9/8/08 2:03:35AM
Paulo Filho is CLEARLY not the best middleweight in the world. He's pretty good, sure, but he's not anywhere close to being the best. Anderson is just saying this because he's his friend, the same way that training partners and friends always pick their buddies in predictions.

It just doesn't mean anything when one friend says something good about another friend IMO. You know you're not going to get an unbiased opinion, so who cares. Everyone's friend is the best _blank_ in the world, apparently. Anderson is a great fighter, but I don't care about anyone's opinion of their own friend, it's always going to be overwhelmingly positive no matter how unrealistic.
Zekeil
9/8/08 8:26:40AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Shawn17

Dude, quit with the Sherdoggin', its really not welcomed here.

That's why I stopped posting over there. They would rag on ya for nothing.
DoTheMMAth
9/8/08 12:09:03PM

Posted by Shawn17

FYI: Posting like that will get you banned from the forums. As was stated, this isn't Sherdog.net. Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but do so with respect and without namecalling. Consider this your warning.

Also, it's somewhat funny to see you type "your an idiot"... did you mean "you're an idiot"?
bojangalz
9/8/08 3:09:42PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Also, it's somewhat funny to see you type "your an idiot"... did you mean "you're an idiot"?

You beat me to it...Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Aether
9/8/08 3:12:58PM
yeah I always laugh when I see people type that. Someone else is an idiot but you don't understand grade 5 grammar lessons. Interesting...

Then after I laugh, I cry because I realize just how bad the state of public education systems in North America is.

lol
postman
9/8/08 3:46:06PM

This has to be a joke right?