Anderson vs henderson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Anderson vs henderson
mkiv9secsupra
2/25/08 10:52:18PM
After watching Henderson vs Nogueira 2 i have changed my decision. Hendo has KO'ed Wanderlei Silva and dominated the guy well regarded as the best BJJ fighter in mma. Anderson has beaten Marquardt (a top ten, but number 5 at most) and Rich Franklin. And as much as i hope Anderson wins it seems as though Henderson will put him on his back and pound him out or KO him on the feet with one of his overhand rights. I have never defended decision Dan but he seems to have the style to beat Anderson. We know Anderson is a great grappler but Daiju Takase has proven he isnt the best by far and on the feet Dan has made leaps and bounds and shown tremendous power. I believe Dan will test Silvas chin and put him on his back and TKO him in the second.
Pookie
2/25/08 10:56:40PM
i think it will take longer than 2 rounds to tko Anderson, even with dans power.
Silva has a very good chin. For the record i have Hendo picked by UD
MALICE
2/25/08 10:56:42PM
Anderson has a great clinch at MW. But Dan is the slightly bigger fighter with the superior wrestling, which will neutralise Silva's clinch, IMO. And with his superior wrestling and improved standup, I believe Dan will take this fight.
MALICE
2/25/08 10:59:45PM

Posted by Pookie

i think it will take longer than 2 rounds to tko Anderson, even with dans power.

I hope your wrong, just so we get a chance to see a fight or two from the prelims. Other than that good luck with your picks.
mkiv9secsupra
2/25/08 11:01:24PM

Posted by Pookie

no one has tested Anderons's chin yet. It seems no one can take Dan's power
JoeySteel
2/25/08 11:19:17PM
I think Hendo is the only fighter who can beat Silva. As Hendo has said, he does not match up well for Silva from the spider's perspective.

Either way I could not be happier about this fight. I can't ******* wait.
cmill21
2/25/08 11:25:08PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Pookie

I've seen Anderson get hit, Rich hit him a time or two in the second fight, Lutter was smashing him from the top. But you see Hendo KO wandy and Chuck coulden't even though he hit him alot so you wonder. I am honestly on the fence, but I do believe it will be a 5 round war and will go down as one of the best ever.
mkiv9secsupra
2/25/08 11:29:45PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Pookie

I've seen Anderson get hit, Rich hit him a time or two in the second fight, Lutter was smashing him from the top. But you see Hendo KO wandy and Chuck coulden't even though he hit him alot so you wonder. I am honestly on the fence, but I do believe it will be a 5 round war and will go down as one of the best ever.

yeah it seems this will turn out as fight of the night or even fight of the year. This is the hardest fight ive ever had to pick.
cmill21
2/26/08 12:02:24AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Pookie

yeah it seems this will turn out as fight of the night or even fight of the year. This is the hardest fight ive ever had to pick.

I hear yah man. I'm agonizing over it. I really don't think there will be a "loser" I think it will be an incredible fight with a nearly instant rematch. Should be an incredible fight.
Gipper
2/26/08 12:37:38AM
WAR DAN HENDERSON
veritas
2/26/08 12:58:57AM
I dont think Henderson will stand and bang with Silva, not because he cant but because he doesnt need to. He may just keep it standing enough to set up the takedown, and I dont forsee him having any trouble getting the takedown. Even though clinch control may be too close to call, Henderson doesn't need to keep it there when he can get him down at will. Once there, however, I just hope Dan doesn't get caught with an armbar or a triangle. I can see this fight going the distance, with Hendersn in Silva's guard for a better part of the fight. Henderson by UD
bullettdodger
2/26/08 1:01:07AM
Silva KO/TKO in 3-4th Round... this doesn't mean i don't think old Dangerous Dan as he likes to be called, can't take this to a UD but i don't think he will get the chance to put Anderson out... hes pretty wirey as you can see in my avatar lol
ChokeUout
2/26/08 1:32:57AM
Lots of people picking Hendo here, so let me set you guys straight

I could actually see Anderson winning this in several ways. If this fight stays on the feet, then it's only a matter of time before Hendo goes down. Yes, Hendo has a great chin and a hard head, but He's never faced a stiker of the caliber of an Anderson Silva, and yeah, Hendo HAS faced some deadly strikers. However, I think Anderson's Technique, accuracy and Quickness Are Probably the best in MMA as far as stand up fighting is concerned. However, What impressed me about Silva, especially in the second franklin fight, is his stand up defence. He'll block 50% of what you throw at him, and dodge another 30%, which is why you see he's never been knocked out. Now, Hendo Has a Big right hand, and we all know, But Can he connect with silva? I personally don't think so. I think Silva Quickness and Defence makes it near impossible to connect with a big fight-ending shot. Morevoer with Silva's Quickness, I think he'll use that to keep the fight on his feet as much as possible. If he can do that, henderson will go down.

Henderson's strength is obviously his greco. He loves the clinch. The clinch will be the most intriging part of this fight: Henderson's Greco vs. Silva's Muy thai. Will hendo be able to get in close enough to silva to use it without getting his nose broken via knee to the face? Will silva be too quick for him? I'm gonna give Henderson the benefit of the doubt and say he'll be able to get him down at least once or twice. Once he's there, I don't know if he'll be able to finish Silva. Silva is VASTLY underrated on the ground, and is pretty good at advoiding damage if you wanna look at the marquart or franklin fights. He's good at sweeps and it's not easy to pass his guard (Please don't talk about the Lutter fight where Silva had two surgecally repaired knees). That being said, Henderson's JJ game is underrated too, But Seeing that they are both pretty good at BJJ, I don't see either ending this by sub, but I think Silva has the better chance of it. Yes, Hendo has only been subbed twice, but who did It? Big Nog and Lil Nog, Silva's Training Partners. Just throwing it out there...

I agree that this fight has the potential of going 5 rounds. I think Hippysmacker nailed it on the head though: If the fight DOES go 5 rounds, I don't see how silva doesn't inflict enough damage on Hendo not to come out on top, if not stop him. The one thing I think might play huge here is the mindstate. Anderson is the most humble fighter I've ever seen, and has said after every fight "I need to find ways to improve, I am far from perfect" or something to that extent. After the Franklin fight, he traveled to the US to Train in JUST wrestling for a month or so, and has been working JUDO with The All Brazilian Judo team. He truly believes every fight is dangerous, and trains his ass off as if he was an up-and-comer trying to earn his shot. Hendo on the other hand is ALWAYS deadly confident. He knows his strengths and there's not usually a question on what hendo will try to do. However, that might also be his weakness. Before the rampage fight, he was talking like he'd easily beat Rampage ("all i gotta do is go get the new belt"), and he's saying the same thing now ("I'm gonna easily beat silva up"). Now, the talk and the fight are two different things, but If someone walks into a fight against silva overconfident, It's not gonna be pretty.

Basically, the only possibility of henderson winning this fight IMO is By a UD. He'd have to take silva down, try to hold him there, and try to use enough GNP to win 3 rounds. I don't see him doing that. I think Silva's Stand up AND ground defence is too goo for that to Happen. I wouldn't se Stunned if silva pulled off an armbar or triangle off his back, either, and I would expect to see stand ups awarded due to silva not allowing him to pass guard. That being said, every round is started On the feet. Anderson has improved his takedown defense with his wrestling focus, and I don't see Henderson taking down silva enough to win this. ANother Key point, Dan has said he's willing to stand with silva, and if he does, silva will pick him apart. Even if Silva doesn't finish him on the feet, silva will win at least 3 rounds on the feet if given a chance.

It'll be a great fight, but I'm gonna say:

Silva by late round stoppage/UD.

Final food for thought: Henderson Has never been KO'd before. Neither Had Leben or Marquart...
mrliquid
2/26/08 11:12:22AM
Hendo 2nd round Knockout Dan will clinch upclose dirty box silva and decide where the fight stays with his wrestling untill he ends up catching him with a big right if he gets introuble standing up he'll take silva down and hold him and work the gnp.