Amir fight stoppage one of the worst ever?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Amir fight stoppage one of the worst ever?
whardin19
8/8/09 11:13:57PM
The Amir Sadollah fight stoppage has to be one of the worst stoppages I've ever seen! Not only was Mirgliotta out of postion to see anything. Hendricks was hitting Amir in the back of the head while Amir was getting up. Everytime I see Mirgliotta ref he consitantaly makes bad calls and this one was the worst. What do you guys think?
george112
8/8/09 11:29:00PM
why isnt this in the spoilers forum
haggiswashere
8/8/09 11:32:39PM
He will be devastated. It sucks so bad man. Poor kid. Why is Dan Mirgliotta still employed? We need Big John back again.
ncordless
8/8/09 11:41:08PM
Moved to spoilers
raider8
8/9/09 1:12:26AM
I think Big John burned some bridges when he left UFC in hopes of working with another promotion. I dont see him working another UFC event again. But I agree that it was a early stoppage of the fight. Amir was trying to get back up.
RearNakedJoke
8/9/09 1:18:38AM
looked to me when amir was on all fours all of hendricks puches were to the back of his head. only one seemed to fully connect though.

my opinion it was early but probably going that way. but what do i know mirgliotta had the better view from behind hendricks.
Irish_Pride
8/9/09 1:25:02AM
That was a horrible stoppage. Not only was Hendricks hitting Amir in the back of the head. Amir looked fine, I mean when your down there is only two things to do get back up and get into guard, Amir was trying to get back up. At no point in the fight was Amir knocked out, he seemed fully aware of his surroundings.
miphi1991
8/9/09 1:32:40AM
Looked clean to me. he had taken 5 or so uppercuts and about the same amount of punches while he was down on the ground. getting up or not he was getting punished.
kopower
8/9/09 2:26:52AM
bad stoppage but I picked Hendricks so wooo!!!
Khaos
8/9/09 2:40:01AM
I don't think it's the worst. I've seen worse. I can see the arguement that it was a justified stoppage. I personally think it was a good stoppage, but by no means am I an MMA ref.
joshryanshepherd
8/9/09 2:46:04AM
All i know is that Amir's Muay Thai looked AMAZING, to bad dirty boxing shut it down...
Styles
8/9/09 3:01:09AM
I think it was an early stoppage but good for Amir, if he would have made it up, Hendricks would have knocked him right back down. There were no good clean shots landed when Amir was down and Amir was on his way back up. I know we talk about fighter safety and all, but damn dont have to be that safe, he should have let Amir taken the shots once he got his hands off the ground and then stopped it.

Hopefully Hendricks has been working on his cardio though, guy seems to get burned out towards the end of the 2nd.
fizzle
8/9/09 5:06:30AM
Slightly early if anything. At first I thought it was premature but after seeing the replays, Amir was in trouble every second that Hendrix was pounding him. Back of the head or not Amir was in trouble and I have no problem with the stoppage.
bojangalz
8/9/09 5:34:34AM

Posted by raider8

I think Big John burned some bridges when he left UFC in hopes of working with another promotion. I dont see him working another UFC event again. But I agree that it was a early stoppage of the fight. Amir was trying to get back up.

Just an FYI, Refs don't work for the promotion. They work for the state athletic commission. And Big John didn't leave the UFC, he retired from reffing to take a spot on the Fight Network. He's reffing again now, but only licensed in a few states (California for sure, but I know there were a few others as well.) He's not currently licensed in Nevada, and last I heard he's not interested in getting licensed there either.

But it should be very interesting to see what happens when the UFC rolls into cali shortly. I wondering if they'll pull strings to keep he off the show.
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/9/09 1:40:05PM
The stoppage was justified IMO. Amir was in a bad spot after getting dropped, if the ref let it go on he would have been KO'd. there have been a lot of worse stoppages.
ohnougotme
8/9/09 4:15:19PM
A fair stoppage.From Dan's view,Amir was in trouble and looked like he was going to take more.Not to many guys gettn pounded while on the ground get up without taking further damage.Now there has to be a rematch,in my opinion.If Johnny stops Amir again,Dans somewhat vindicated,if Amir wins,well,then Dan's call looks pre-mature.I like Johnny to repeat.
Nightmare27
8/9/09 5:43:46PM
I think that the stoppage was premature but I doubt that the result would have changed. Amir wasnt trying to go to guard, he was trying to stand and as dazed as he was he probably would have took a few more big shots. IMO.
The_Italian_Stallion
8/9/09 6:22:41PM
This wasn't that bad of a stoppage at all in my opinion... it's the definition of a fighter not defending his self! I have always supported letting a fighter take more damage to make sure the fight should be stopped but since we don't live in that world you have to accept fights like this...

The Paulo Thiago/Koscheck knock out was way worse... That was only one punch and Koscheck was halfway back up while Amir was only starting to motion in that direction...

If the fight would have been let go more all that would have happened is Amir would get up and then go down HARD with another shot that could have seriously hurt him...
telnights
8/10/09 1:00:31AM
I have watched it many times now and I'm not even a 100% sure it was a knock down. Yes Amir got caught and yes he was wobbly but if you watch it Hendricks had half MT clinch in and was moving backwards while pulling on Amir's head. Its almost like Amir was trying to break the hold a feel forwards. He didn't go face down on the mat and even caught himself. He was looking up at Hendricks and trying to stand when Miragliotta stepped in. Miragliotta has to be the most inconsistent ref around. He will let a fight go even when the other fighter clearly cant defend themselves but stop fights when its clear they are trying to defend themselves. I don't know what some people expected Amir to do lay face down and cover up? He had two choice stand up or roll to his back and he was trying to stand up.