When will Amir fight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » When will Amir fight?
Mchubb316
8/6/08 2:15:10AM
I was looking at the layoff between past fighters who won TUF, and the layoff range anywhere between 2 months (Forrest), and 6 months (Bisping). With this time frame, I would guess Amir would be fighting in either November or December. What fighter would you have him fight? How would he fair against guys like Quarry, Sakara, Rivera, Levens...? Does the UFC bring in someone new and give Amir a guy who he should, and can beat? Thoughts?
Pskinner_mma314
8/6/08 2:28:12AM
I don't think they should give him anyone who is a BIG threat, but at least someone notable.

It was already a real controversial season of TUF and I don't think in the business sense of things that you would want to give anyone that would take away his credibility.

On the general fighting sense of things, they should give him someone who is a little better, so they can maybe allow him to see where he stands or move up the ranks.
wiggum
8/6/08 11:01:32AM
it might not be this fight, but i think we will see amir drop to ww...is a somewhat of a small mw and has extra poundage he can burn off....plus in kickboxing he fought in the ww range...so dont be suprised if his first fight isnt at mw....seems that all the winners of tuf with the exception of the griffin and grove (who are big lhw and mw)and diaz, dropped a class
nickcuc547
8/6/08 1:42:33PM
whoever he fights at whatever weight class, amir is going to fight a can who he will smash. i think the ufc will bring him along slowly, which is a smart move because he has a lot of talent but is still pretty raw.
emfleek
8/6/08 1:44:14PM

Posted by nickcuc547

whoever he fights at whatever weight class, amir is going to fight a can who he will smash. i think the ufc will bring him along slowly, which is a smart move because he has a lot of talent but is still pretty raw.

Agreed, though I don't know if he'll 'smash' anyone. I personally haven't seen enough of him to say that he'll even beat a can.
wiggum
8/6/08 1:49:49PM
throw him elvis sinosec...seems to be a working formula! ha
Khaos
8/6/08 6:17:46PM
I think they should use some IFL talent, like Matt Horwich or someone along those lines.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/6/08 6:42:34PM
amir needs to fight WW. Just about every middle weight out there i would pick to beat him.

to the man who said elvis sinosic . Could elvis make MW? doubt it. i would also pick elvis to beat amir. Elvis is no joke. his 8-11 record is very deceiving. He faced stiff competition, mostly at LWH with tito ortiz, evan tanner , frank shamrock , renato sobral, jeremy horn, forrest griffin, allessio sakara, micheal bisping etc.
jiujitsufreak74
8/6/08 6:47:51PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

amir needs to fight WW. Just about every middle weight out there i would pick to beat him.

so then why would you send him to the even more stacked WW division?

that's like me saying it's too cold here in New York and then moving to Greenland.
RandyCouture
8/6/08 8:36:35PM
Keep amir in the MW he beat a bigger CB who everybody expected to win see how he does. I think styleswise he fits better in the MW division
candynuts
8/6/08 8:58:37PM
Well, wasnt Nate Diaz 1st fight after the show against Junior Assuncao? Mac Danzig had Mark Bocek. So clearly Amir should probably work his way from the bottom up. Im not sure who to do that against in the MW Division, so I would expect them to bring in a newcomer, or perhaps have him fight Nate Loughran? I expect him to fight probably in December.
Khaos
8/6/08 10:21:06PM

Posted by candynuts

Well, wasnt Nate Diaz 1st fight after the show against Junior Assuncao? Mac Danzig had Mark Bocek. So clearly Amir should probably work his way from the bottom up. Im not sure who to do that against in the MW Division, so I would expect them to bring in a newcomer, or perhaps have him fight Nate Loughran? I expect him to fight probably in December.

which is why I insisted in my last post that the should put him against some IFL fighter making there debut.
JBatch
8/6/08 10:49:21PM
I would really like to see Amir fight either Kendal Grove or Goran Reljic.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/6/08 11:59:37PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

that's like me saying it's too cold here in New York and then moving to Greenland.

Amir is not a big middle weight or even welterweight. He walks around at about 190 . GSP , thiago alves , anthony johnson and some other WW's walk around at about 200. Amir is not ripped either, he could easily loose some fat (like bisping did) . WW is a division with mainly wrestlers which would play into amirs Jiu jitsu ( like it did against cb dollaway , gerald harris) . IMO MW is the most diverse division in the UFC and isnt any less "stacked" then WW.
Jackelope
8/7/08 12:06:56AM

Posted by JBatch

Doesn't Goran Reljic fight LHW? Anyway he would SMASH Amir IMO. Brutally.
Mchubb316
8/7/08 12:36:13AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by JBatch

Doesn't Goran Reljic fight LHW? Anyway he would SMASH Amir IMO. Brutally.

Yes Reljic is LHW.
jiujitsufreak74
8/7/08 12:39:45AM

Amir is not a big middle weight or even welterweight. He walks around at about 190 . GSP , thiago alves , anthony johnson and some other WW's walk around at about 200. Amir is not ripped either, he could easily loose some fat (like bisping did) . WW is a division with mainly wrestlers which would play into amirs Jiu jitsu ( like it did against cb dollaway , gerald harris) . IMO MW is the most diverse division in the UFC and isnt any less "stacked" then WW.

Amir isn't even good at JJ...he is a kickboxer. h just got gift subs on the show because they were all in-experienced. he would get gobbled alive by the wrestlers at WW because they are all good at defensive JJ and know how to dispatch of low level sub artists.
prozacnation1978
8/7/08 1:20:47AM
i would say like a rob yundt or somebody of that nature
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/7/08 1:24:33AM

Amir isn't even good at JJ...he is a kickboxer. h just got gift subs on the show because they were all in-experienced. he would get gobbled alive by the wrestlers at WW because they are all good at defensive JJ and know how to dispatch of low level sub artists.

Your certainly entitled to your own opinion but i think his Jiu jitsu is a little better then you give him credit for. 4 out of his 5 wins on the show were by submission. Yes i know his opponents on the show were not as experienced as the WW's in the ufc. Do you think his JJ is better then dante riviera's(brown belt under ricardo almeida)? Yes i know he is most experienced in muay thai. You cant honestly tell me that he would do worse against gsp , fitch , alves , koschek, swick as opposed to silva henderson franklin , marquart bisping.
jiujitsufreak74
8/7/08 1:59:23AM

Your certainly entitled to your own opinion but i think his Jiu jitsu is a little better then you give him credit for. 4 out of his 5 wins on the show were by submission. Yes i know his opponents on the show were not as experienced as the WW's in the ufc. Do you think his JJ is better then dante riviera's(brown belt under ricardo almeida)? Yes i know he is most experienced in muay thai. You cant honestly tell me that he would do worse against gsp , fitch , alves , koschek, swick as opposed to silva henderson franklin , marquart bisping.

the UFC definitively has 18 of the top 20 WW while they barely have 6 of the top 10 MW. there is way too much talent at WW for Amir to survive as even a par level fighter where as at MW he could. his JJ is novice, sloppy and at the time of the show he had absolutely 0 credible JJ experience. he has an amateur kickboxer, nothing more. he picked up the essential basics while on the show and possibly a little before, but his JJ is a newfound game for him. he could find a niche at MW, but not at WW.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/7/08 2:53:58AM

the UFC definitively has 18 of the top 20 WW while they barely have 6 of the top 10 MW. there is way too much talent at WW for Amir to survive as even a par level fighter where as at MW he could. his JJ is novice, sloppy and at the time of the show he had absolutely 0 credible JJ experience. he has an amateur kickboxer, nothing more. he picked up the essential basics while on the show and possibly a little before, but his JJ is a newfound game for him. he could find a niche at MW, but not at WW.

It doesnt matter if they have 6 of the top 10 because everyone in middle weight would have a big weight advantage before the fight started. IMO amir would beat atleast one of those 18 at WW, while I could easily name 18 ufc mw that would wax amir. I know amir has no JJ credentials but what he showed on tuf compared to the rest of fighters, in very limited training, was impressive. IMO he will fight at WW sooner or later. He may get a few wins against some major cans but some1 will over power him eventually. Mike swick anyone? they have very similar skills now that i think of it. Just depends how sheltered the ufc is,
jiujitsufreak74
8/7/08 3:02:25AM

It doesnt matter if they have 6 of the top 10 because everyone in middle weight would have a big weight advantage before the fight started. IMO amir would beat atleast one of those 18 at WW, while I could easily name 18 ufc mw that would wax amir. I know amir has no JJ credentials but what he showed on tuf compared to the rest of fighters, in very limited training, was impressive. IMO he will fight at WW sooner or later. He may get a few wins against some major cans but some1 will over power him eventually. Mike swick anyone? they have very similar skills now that i think of it. Just depends how sheltered the ufc is,

agree to disagree i guess because i think it is the other way around easily. the fact is he won't have legitimate success in either division imo but he would do better at MW. too many contenders at WW, too deep of a talent pool while MW only really has 3 dominant fighters. he has more of a chance to succeed at MW than WW and i am sure that he can pack on muscle weight instead of just losing weight to get to 170.
DCRage
8/7/08 8:17:57AM
Since it seems nobody's mentioned when he'll fight (original question, right?), I'm thinking either an upcoming UFN or the TUF 8 Finale. TUF winners tend to start out on UFNs before working their way up to PPVs, so I think we're looking at November or December unless they somehow get him on next month's UFN.
iceliddell240
8/7/08 12:48:05PM

Posted by JBatch

agreed