Amir better as a Welter or Middle

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Amir better as a Welter or Middle
POLL: Where should Amir be fighting at rooters
Welterweight 34% (11)
Middleweight 66% (21)
MoJoy
6/23/08 10:29:35PM
I think if he can cut the weight he's better at welterweight instead of middleweight. Hes great at either. I just think that particular class would work better for him. If he walks around at 190 or so its workable. Lay it true. What yall think. Blink.
Copenhagen
6/23/08 10:43:10PM
I think he'd do better in the Middle weight. He'd be able to climb to the top faster, then he would in a huge WW division. Example: Diego (WW division) had 6 wins in a row, with never getting a title shot, Cote ( MW division) won 3 fights in a row in the UFC and is now fighting for number one contender spot.
Gipper
6/23/08 11:06:09PM
he's to big for ww
ncordless
6/23/08 11:42:30PM

Posted by Gipper

he's to big for ww

I don't think so. He looked to me like he could lose the weight. Either way I'd be really suprised if he went anywhere in either division.

I say throw him in there with Marvin Eastman if he wants to stay at MW. I don't think he could hang with the beastman, who is a lower end gate keeper at MW. If Marvin's size overwhelms Amir, then he needs to drop to 170. If he can hang with Marvin, then I'd say he has what it takes to at least be in the division.

I can tell you right now though that Amir will have some serious problems with the bigger MWs. Amir vs. Franklin would look like a full grown man beating up on a 14yr old.
Twenty20Dollars
6/23/08 11:53:39PM
WW is alittle more stacked than MW right now, so he MW should do him fine, even though MW is starting to get stacked.
Pitbull09
6/23/08 11:54:51PM

Posted by Copenhagen

I think he'd do better in the Middle weight. He'd be able to climb to the top faster, then he would in a huge WW division. Example: Diego (WW division) had 6 wins in a row, with never getting a title shot, Cote ( MW division) won 3 fights in a row in the UFC and is now fighting for number one contender spot.

Lol are you forgetting Fitch? 8 wins in a row and is now getting a title shot . Alves won 7 now I think in a row, including Hughes and Karo but might need one more fight til he gets one. That division has a loooong line, hopefully they don't plan any Tuf seasons for the title holder or we will be screwed again.
Aaronno9
6/24/08 12:13:22AM
Judging by his size during the show id say he should be fighting at WW. He had bulked up for the finale, but he just looked podgey, kinda like how vera doea at HW. I thought that was a big problem with this years tuf, alot of the fighters looked to small. I mean, if you put Jesse Talyor next to Amir or Crueder on the show the size differance was ridiculous.

However, the WW division is stacked, MW on the other hand, not so much. So i think the ufc will want him to stick around and fight their for a while. Mabeys if he drops a few fights, they'll push him into moving down, rather than letting him get to the point where hes going to get booted, like the situation Kendal Grove was in.
seanfu
6/24/08 2:13:30AM
I look at this from a stylistic point of view. His kick boxing is a little more of a slow and rangy style. He isn't close to being a talented wrestler and his BJJ needs a lot of work to pass him anywhere near the top.

The MW division seems to be more about striker sluggers and the occasional BJJ guy so Amir with his striking experiance and heart should do well assuming he is carefully matched up.

I do believe he is overhyped for being a natural game fighter. He is fresh and will need plenty of cans before a rock.
mkiv9secsupra
6/24/08 10:25:00AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Gipper

he's to big for ww

I don't think so. He looked to me like he could lose the weight. Either way I'd be really suprised if he went anywhere in either division.

Amir has 1 pro fight and youre already dismissing him. It took Franklin 5 years to become a champion and Anderson 6 years. Amir has been a pro for like 6 months, has beaten 4 other pros, and hes already not going anywhere?
NatedawgThaM
6/24/08 1:33:00PM
Middlewight because almost everybody at Welterweight besides Anthony Johnson, Marcus Davis and Thiago Alves are good grapplers. I think their experience and better ground games would get them past him. While at middleweight he has a great chance of becoming something since almost everyone has one clear weakness except Anderson Silva and maybe Ricardo Almedia. Their also more cans at MW, so he can develop better and get to an elite level in time. He just should add some muscle.
Copenhagen
6/24/08 6:34:25PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by Copenhagen

Lol are you forgetting Fitch? 8 wins in a row and is now getting a title shot . Alves won 7 now I think in a row, including Hughes and Karo but might need one more fight til he gets one. That division has a loooong line, hopefully they don't plan any Tuf seasons for the title holder or we will be screwed again.

I wasn't forgetting anyone, I just picked one for example.
MoJoy
6/26/08 1:37:07AM
Bump
MoJoy
6/27/08 12:23:33AM
On FightMatrix Oleg said Forrest said Amir would be suited better at Welterweight. Im thinking on that same line.
ncordless
6/27/08 8:10:54AM

Posted by MoJoy

On FightMatrix Oleg said Forrest said Amir would be suited better at Welterweight. Im thinking on that same line.

How do you get to post while banned?

And to get back to the topic... Someone had mentioned that Amir's style made him more suited for MW. I think Amir is a special case where his style has so much more to be devloped. I think he is better off to see how he matches up physically with either division. I think there are quite a few MWs who are just way to big for Amir. Franklin, Grove, Silva, McFedries, Eastman, and Hendo are just a few of the fighters whom would have such an enormous strength/size advantage in a fight.
DevonFoxy
6/27/08 1:15:42PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by MoJoy

How do you get to post while banned?

And to get back to the topic... Someone had mentioned that Amir's style made him more suited for MW. I think Amir is a special case where his style has so much more to be devloped. I think he is better off to see how he matches up physically with either division. I think there are quite a few MWs who are just way to big for Amir. Franklin, Grove, Silva, McFedries, Eastman, and Hendo are just a few of the fighters whom would have such an enormous strength/size advantage in a fight.

I completely agree. Amir is a guy thats fun to root for but even in the MW division with guys that cut from LHW to get there he's totally out of hit element. He's one of those crafty guys it seems at least that you can't count out until the fights over but imo CB is going to be a much much bigger threat at MW. Amir seems to be stuck at the moment I'm sure he'll get a can next but he's a guy i see getting one or two wins and then being "upset" much like the fashion in which Belcher was upset by Day. Something like that.
RandyCouture
6/28/08 10:01:13AM
he def matches up better in the middleweight division. too many powerhouses in the WW division. In a couple years AMIR is be a great fighter imo. He need to work to make his striking a bit more crisp and his wrestling. his JJ is sick and can only get better
MoJoy
6/28/08 7:59:28PM
Guys for Amir to fight. Belcher,Herman,Rivera. Who wants to give additional repleis.