Amir......

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Amir......
Next Page »
POLL: What as a bigger factor in Amirs lose?
Johny being on his game 33% (25)
being at WW 0% (0)
Having not fought in a year and a half 30% (23)
All the injurys hes had 1% (1)
Bad ref. call 36% (27)
Violence108
8/13/09 4:08:41PM
Everyone is saying that the stopage was early in his fight at 101, as did i but i still feel like Johny would have won that fight if it would have went on alittle along. But let us not forget that Amir did not fight in a year and a half, and had alot of injurys and it was his 1st time at WW , so to me if he would have won that fight it would have been a big win and kinda an upset. I hope Amir fights again soon so that ring rust can start to go away and the real Amir that won TUF can come back .
fizzle
8/13/09 7:04:18PM
I didn't think the stoppage was really all that early, but we are just beating that topic into the ground. I think Ring Rust, Injuries and Johnny being on his game were all factors. Early stoppage or not.
Mayhem13
8/13/09 8:13:37PM
I thought the stoppage was iffy, not horrid..but not really ideal either.

I thought Amir looked pretty light on his feet, his strikes were looking pretty quick..I think its basically like chuck always says "he got caught". Johny is a tough kid, and caught Amir with a good punch that he had troubles recovering from...and Johny didn't let him recover.
Ordep
8/13/09 9:33:56PM
all of those options can be considered as excuses...

where is the "he's not 'that' good" option ?
warglory
8/13/09 11:16:23PM

Posted by Ordep

I was thinking the same thing.
copcopps
8/14/09 12:45:17PM
Not fighting for over a year. Some of it might be the injuries but I think its more of the inactivity
Violence108
8/14/09 12:49:11PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Ordep

so i guess winning TUF makes you not that good
Kpro
8/14/09 12:52:58PM
Regardless of the stoppage part, the ref blatantly ignored the illegal strikes.

I had Hendricks picked to win though due to things such as the long lay-off, and style issues.
Ordep
8/14/09 2:00:07PM

Posted by Violence108

Posted by warglory

Posted by Ordep

so i guess winning TUF makes you not that good

exactly

Winning TUF makes you the best of the show for that season, it doesn't mean that your a hell of a fighter (see Mac Danzig,Kendall Grove for further references)nor give you guarantee a successful career.
Hendo67
8/14/09 2:50:43PM
I just don't think Amir is that good of a fighter...I like the guy, and i like his attitude, i just don't think he's going to ever crack a UFC top 5 in a division.
Aaronno9
8/14/09 3:02:30PM
The biggest factor was incompetent reffing. He could see well enough to know Amir was out and the fight needed to be stopped, but he couldnt see the shots landing right on the back on Amirs head? Good one!

Ive always been a doubt of Amir, but even the short period we got to see he looked very sharp with his strikes. I think another thing which could be included on the list is pure lack of experience. Lets not forget, it was the guys second pro fight, first fight on a PPV card.
george112
8/14/09 3:07:43PM

Posted by Ordep

i completely agree with this post.
amir just couldnt hang with hendricks.plain and simple.early stoppage or not.it still would have been a 1st round TKO
Violence108
8/14/09 3:32:10PM
Amir just got caught with a good punch, no different than Forrest did the same night.
george112
8/14/09 6:19:53PM

Posted by Violence108

Amir just got caught with a good punch, no different than Forrest did the same night.

griffin couldnt hang with silva.it wasnt just a good punch it was three knockdowns.and a KO from a jab...

couldnt hang....
SociopathX
8/14/09 8:25:12PM
Amir should be cut from the UFC
juggernautakira
8/14/09 8:51:55PM

Posted by Aaronno9

The biggest factor was incompetent reffing. He could see well enough to know Amir was out and the fight needed to be stopped, but he couldnt see the shots landing right on the back on Amirs head? Good one!

Ive always been a doubt of Amir, but even the short period we got to see he looked very sharp with his strikes. I think another thing which could be included on the list is pure lack of experience. Lets not forget, it was the guys second pro fight, first fight on a PPV card.

Christ o mighty, thank you!

And whats with this shi.t about him being out? He got caught with a tough punch and went down. Last I heard, this isnt boxing or some karate tournament. When someone goes down, it doesnt mean they are done. The sorry bast.ard can take a punch as we all know from the show. In any case, hes a beginner and a good beginner at that. It is WAY too early to say he sucks.
george112
8/14/09 9:08:39PM

Posted by juggernautakira

Posted by Aaronno9

And whats with this shi.t about him being out? He got caught with a tough punch and went down. Last I heard, this isnt boxing or some karate tournament. When someone goes down, it doesnt mean they are done. The sorry bast.ard can take a punch as we all know from the show. In any case, hes a beginner and a good beginner at that. It is WAY too early to say he sucks.

yes we all know he can take a punch.but the point im trying to make.(and a majority of others).is that he just wasnt on the same level as hendricks.even without the early stoppage give it 10 to 20 seconds longer and the result would have been the same.
smcdonald
8/16/09 3:17:07AM
What i really think it came down to was that he just got caught, i think he looked great (amir) he looked sharp and more technical on his feet than ever before, he just got caught, he should have stayed outside a little more and close the gap only once landed some solid kicks, he came rushing in and got caught by a guy who wanted it close. Big Powerful guy, close, rushing = KO/Get caught lol
george112
8/16/09 2:07:37PM

Posted by smcdonald

What i really think it came down to was that he just got caught, i think he looked great (amir) he looked sharp and more technical on his feet than ever before, he just got caught, he should have stayed outside a little more and close the gap only once landed some solid kicks, he came rushing in and got caught by a guy who wanted it close. Big Powerful guy, close, rushing = KO/Get caught lol

inexperience
nickcuc547
8/16/09 3:29:06PM
the stoppage was a factor in the end of the fight, it was really bad imo, but hendricks landed a couple of nice shots on amir and looked pretty good in the first 30 seconds. I think we see a lot out of both of these guys in the future.
Sinister
8/17/09 12:20:29AM
On TUF he had no professional fights. After TUF, he had over a year layoff and people expected him to win any UFC fight? I didnt see it happening. Ref may have stopped it early but I think he wasnt going to pull out a victory either way.
adamsb
8/17/09 1:26:38PM

Posted by SociopathX

come on guy after one fight thats a little harsh
Sinister
8/17/09 2:27:38PM

Posted by adamsb

Posted by SociopathX

come on guy after one fight thats a little harsh

Yea, especially after such a long lay off. I think he may want to consider leaving, fighting at smaller shows, and eventually coming back though. Im sure Dana would be fine with it and he could still do his interviews for UFC like he was on Spike
ace_of_god
8/17/09 6:58:41PM
I think ring rust is all it is. I think Amir has the talent he beat CB Dollaway Twice and he has had some success in the UFC since, what I saw of Amir I liked and I think he definately has the hear to win, I expect he will be back and will most likely grab a win. Anyone can lose when they take it on the chin, even Jardine got his against Huston Alexander.
juggernautakira
8/17/09 7:29:03PM

Posted by george112

Posted by Aaronno9

yes we all know he can take a punch.but the point im trying to make.(and a majority of others).is that he just wasnt on the same level as hendricks.even without the early stoppage give it 10 to 20 seconds longer and the result would have been the same.

Been the same? Really? None of us know that because of the lousy ref. Speculating is fun, but it wont get you anywhere.
MMA-San
8/19/09 12:49:08AM
Johnny Hendricks will fight for the title by the end of 2010...it was only a matter of time, bad ref call or not.
george112
8/19/09 2:43:35AM

Posted by george112

Posted by Aaronno9

Been the same? Really? None of us know that because of the lousy ref. Speculating is fun, but it wont get you anywhere.

same thing can be said about speculating the downfall of strikeforce.

he lost big deal.get over it
adamsb
8/19/09 6:10:45PM

Posted by MMA-San

Johnny Hendricks will fight for the title by the end of 2010...it was only a matter of time, bad ref call or not.

wow jumping on the bandwagon fast now. dont get me wrong hendricks is a good fighter but hes not on the level of some of the top fighters like gsp, alves, and fitch
MMA-San
8/21/09 8:10:40PM

Posted by adamsb

Posted by MMA-San

wow jumping on the bandwagon fast now. dont get me wrong hendricks is a good fighter but hes not on the level of some of the top fighters like gsp, alves, and fitch

Not bagwagoning at all. I've wrestled Hendricks twice...they were the most embarassing matches I've ever had. I did better against Cain Valasquez.

In the collegiate wrestling circuit, Hendricks is like what Hulk Hogan is to professional wrestling.
kerryweb
8/21/09 8:21:29PM
Eh, he's a nice guy and all, but I don't think he's a fighter. Hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see it in him ...

Then again,

Who am I?
Pages: [1] 2