American Psycho the movie

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » American Psycho the movie
Franca311Diaz
2/9/09 6:49:01PM
Anyone here seen this movie? I just did yesterday because every reviewer at Amazon.com loved it. I gotta say though, this movie sucked big time. The ending made no sense at all whatsoever.

Maybe there's something deep about the ending that I'm not understanding, i doubt it though. But anyone here who is a fan of this movie, can you tell me why you like a movie that makes no sense?
SpiderSilva
2/9/09 7:12:25PM
enjoyed it because it was different and the dude was crazy as hell just killing people I loved the ending I won't say but when your lawyer doesn't beleive you WTF

anyway the dude makes some weird movies have you seen the Machinist holy crap that was another weird one Equilibrium is what sold me on him becoming Batman and I also enjoyed Reign of Fire anyway I can see why you wouldn't like it I watched it a few times before really liking it
seanfu
2/9/09 7:15:05PM
Dude, you can't hate a movie because you don't get it. Through the whole movie Christian Bale goes around killing people as the main character. He finds out in the end though, that he wasn't the character he thought he was.

So in the end you find out that the guy is psychotic. He thought he was someone else, and thought he really was killing people when in fact they were just fantasies playing out in his head, from what I remember.

I hate the Amercican movie watchers sometimes, oh, Transformers is an amazing movie because it's sooooo pretty!!! Oh, and it's pretty too.

But some golden psychological thriller comes along with a twist that you have to think about, or involves something philisophical and people hate it.

I can't stand that.
SpiderSilva
2/9/09 7:21:13PM
holy crap that is a prop post right there
evan9eleven
2/9/09 7:58:16PM
Did I miss something? I own this movie and have watched it many times, I always thought that it was all just in his head. None of the **** actually happens, am I wrong? Weird.

And to a couple posts up, Sean Fu i think, check out The Visitor, nothing fancy, great movie. Dude is up for best actor.
cloppio
2/9/09 8:56:07PM
"Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?"

breakdown5
2/9/09 9:20:38PM
Great flick for sure. The ending is kinda vague from what I remember (its been a few years and a million beers) but you are left with the idea that the entire thing was just a violent fantasy. An escape in his mind from the tediousness of his life, and as a way for him to cope with work induced stress. He is essentially a psycho suit with some wild violent daydreams.

Its also based on a book if I remember right.
Rollins
2/9/09 9:34:41PM

Posted by cloppio

"Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?"

I love that scene and yes I do like Huey Lewis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgH4TejZ6h0
JackHammerXXX
2/9/09 9:48:33PM
Come on people!?... do we not remember what we doing on the night of Paul Allen's disappearance,.......
........"I am not sure, I'll have to check my schedule, but i was prolly returning some...video tapes"!!!!
Godd I don'tknow how long it took me to stop saying that one.
I have to return some video tapes, excuse me
Basshandsome
2/9/09 9:52:40PM
Spoilers below!

Actually all of the murders in this movie did really happen. The director and the author of the book both state that they did really happen. His friends and co-workers often confuse him with other people and don’t even seem to care about anything happening because they are so self-centered and shallow. The movie is based on exactly that… people are so caught up in their own world they don’t realize what is going on around them.

This movie is a little tricky as the movie is up for interpretation some what. I think that it is an error on the film makers part that they are not more clear on what actually happened. He was in fact though very insane and that explains what is going on in that killing spree near the end of the film. They are in a sub-culture of people who all look the same, act the same, and dress the same.
Franca311Diaz
2/10/09 2:13:17AM

Posted by seanfu

Dude, you can't hate a movie because you don't get it. Through the whole movie Christian Bale goes around killing people as the main character. He finds out in the end though, that he wasn't the character he thought he was.

So in the end you find out that the guy is psychotic. He thought he was someone else, and thought he really was killing people when in fact they were just fantasies playing out in his head, from what I remember.

I hate the Amercican movie watchers sometimes, oh, Transformers is an amazing movie because it's sooooo pretty!!! Oh, and it's pretty too.

But some golden psychological thriller comes along with a twist that you have to think about, or involves something philisophical and people hate it.

I can't stand that.

interesting.....i shall watch it again
Pookie
2/10/09 2:19:15AM

Posted by Basshandsome

Spoilers below!

Actually all of the murders in this movie did really happen. The director and the author of the book both state that they did really happen. His friends and co-workers often confuse him with other people and don’t even seem to care about anything happening because they are so self-centered and shallow. The movie is based on exactly that… people are so caught up in their own world they don’t realize what is going on around them.

This movie is a little tricky as the movie is up for interpretation some what. I think that it is an error on the film makers part that they are not more clear on what actually happened. He was in fact though very insane and that explains what is going on in that killing spree near the end of the film. They are in a sub-culture of people who all look the same, act the same, and dress the same.

Yeah the book left a much better impression that it did in fact happen. Great Book , hilarious even.
Aether
2/10/09 2:21:29AM
It's actually neither. You are intentionally left confused about whether he has committed the murders or whether he is a delusional psychotic as a means to bring you into the mindset of the main character. He lives in a world where everyone is constantly unsure of each others' identities, names, whether events actually took place, he feels trapped and the only things anyone recognize in his world are labels and the social masks they wear to fit in. Throughout the entire book (or movie to a lesser extent) people are constantly introduced as other people, debating about who certain people are, about what did or didn't happen, and the only thing anyone is sure of is the outward image that they portray in an attempt to fit in. Bateman only ever speaks with confidence about brand names, fashion, music, everything about his interpersonal life as well as that of his colleagues is made intentionally vague and confusing in order to leave you with the same sense of confused isolation that he experiences throughout the story. You also see many references to his inability to escape this frame of mind. "This is not an exit" and "abandon all hope ye who enter here" appear at the start and ending of the book to reinforce the idea that he is trapped in his own living hell where nothing seems real and the only thing that exists in his world are the superficial appearances he and his co-workers put forward. The whole thing is basically poking fun at the whole yuppie sub-culture that surrounds wall street traders. That they're so completely consumed with their outward appearance that they are unable to really indentify with, understand, or truly see one another because they're constantly putting on a show. It extends to the point that when he talks about killing people, his friends either mistake his words or simply think he's joking because they can't see anything but the "false" version of each other.

I would recommend reading the book. A book can always convey more than a movie can. Especially when it comes to a story that's so cerebral, the majority of it has to do with what he is thinking and how he feels, these things are significantly easier to accurately portray in a book because an author can just write "he feels like this" whereas an actor has to mimic the emotion.

Personally I think Bale is an awful actor. He only gets cast in roles of emotionless heroes or villains because he can't really portray emotion very well at all. Pretty similar to keanu reeves. The movie is not bad, the book is way better.

I should warn you though, if anyone plans to get the book it is CONSIDERABLY more graphic than the movie. Ellis goes into very intricate detail about the murder, mutilation, cannibalization, and necrophilia suffered by his victims. I mean very detailed. If you don't have a strong stomach for gory descriptions this book is not for you.
ncordless
2/10/09 12:19:33PM

Posted by Aether

It's actually neither. You are intentionally left confused about whether he has committed the murders or whether he is a delusional psychotic as a means to bring you into the mindset of the main character. He lives in a world where everyone is constantly unsure of each others' identities, names, whether events actually took place, he feels trapped and the only things anyone recognize in his world are labels and the social masks they wear to fit in. Throughout the entire book (or movie to a lesser extent) people are constantly introduced as other people, debating about who certain people are, about what did or didn't happen, and the only thing anyone is sure of is the outward image that they portray in an attempt to fit in. Bateman only ever speaks with confidence about brand names, fashion, music, everything about his interpersonal life as well as that of his colleagues is made intentionally vague and confusing in order to leave you with the same sense of confused isolation that he experiences throughout the story. You also see many references to his inability to escape this frame of mind. "This is not an exit" and "abandon all hope ye who enter here" appear at the start and ending of the book to reinforce the idea that he is trapped in his own living hell where nothing seems real and the only thing that exists in his world are the superficial appearances he and his co-workers put forward. The whole thing is basically poking fun at the whole yuppie sub-culture that surrounds wall street traders. That they're so completely consumed with their outward appearance that they are unable to really indentify with, understand, or truly see one another because they're constantly putting on a show. It extends to the point that when he talks about killing people, his friends either mistake his words or simply think he's joking because they can't see anything but the "false" version of each other.

I would recommend reading the book. A book can always convey more than a movie can. Especially when it comes to a story that's so cerebral, the majority of it has to do with what he is thinking and how he feels, these things are significantly easier to accurately portray in a book because an author can just write "he feels like this" whereas an actor has to mimic the emotion.

Personally I think Bale is an awful actor. He only gets cast in roles of emotionless heroes or villains because he can't really portray emotion very well at all. Pretty similar to keanu reeves. The movie is not bad, the book is way better.

I should warn you though, if anyone plans to get the book it is CONSIDERABLY more graphic than the movie. Ellis goes into very intricate detail about the murder, mutilation, cannibalization, and necrophilia suffered by his victims. I mean very detailed. If you don't have a strong stomach for gory descriptions this book is not for you.

Thank you. You took the words out of my mouth and did a wonderful job explaining in the first paragraph. Brett Easton Ellis is so heavy.
evan9eleven
2/10/09 1:52:27PM
Good posts people.
GDK
2/11/09 6:51:42PM

Posted by Aether

Yes

It is interesting to note corncerning his actions
In the book, are written in first person
But his most psychotic episode
Which involves feeding a cat to an ATM, shooting random peope and being chased my coppers that ultimately explode at a gunshot
Is all written in third person
As if Bateman is watching himself in an out of body experience
Yet no reprecussions

Also in thier world where nobody knows who anybody really is inwardly and outwardly
He is constanly being mistaken for someone else, and constantly mistaking other peoples identity
You aren't sure weather he gets away with it, because nobody can recognise each other in a world full of clones
He is even given an alibi for his actions and it is seemingly covered up by the social system
If there was a killer they most certainly wouldn't be looking for him
And Bateman is thus left wondering himself if any of it happened
But it will continue happening