"American Jiu Jitsu"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » "American Jiu Jitsu"
misses1112
8/18/08 10:58:16PM
IMO

what say you??
juanez13
8/18/08 11:06:09PM
I say, call it Jiu Jitsu. It has been modified by many people from different countries over the years (japanese JJ, BJJ, American JJ), so calling it JJ fits better as a general statement.

Twenty20Dollars
8/18/08 11:13:51PM
jitz is what i like to call it
postman
8/19/08 10:59:27AM
JKD Grappling
Rush
8/19/08 11:11:23AM
There is a clear stylistic distinction between classical jujutsu and BJJ, so I think those shouldn't be grouped.

WTF is American JJ? Examples? Is that like the sport JJ which is a mixture of karate style striking with judo style throws?
The-Don
8/19/08 1:08:27PM

Posted by Rush

There is a clear stylistic distinction between classical jujutsu and BJJ, so I think those shouldn't be grouped.

WTF is American JJ? Examples? Is that like the sport JJ which is a mixture of karate style striking with judo style throws?

I agree to give it a new name there needs to be something uniquely different about it... For instance.. Guerrillia Jujitsu... for instance.. it takes Judo and BJJ and mixes them together...
Ordep
8/19/08 3:52:29PM
nah... what would it be? BJJ performed by an American?
Ben_Hutch
8/23/08 1:59:52AM

Posted by misses1112

IMO

what say you??

Right.....
Omega
8/25/08 1:50:28PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by misses1112

IMO

what say you??

Right.....

I'm really tired of the name Jiu Jitsu and I have a blackbelt.
jiujitsufreak74
8/26/08 7:29:31PM
i usually just call it JJ as you can tell by my name

i think JJ and most other submission arts have been rolled up into what i call submission grappling because everyone is hybrid now-a-days. it is difficult to say someone is just a JJ fighter because other elements have been absorbed into JJ to make it more of a submission grappling style.
Jackelope
8/27/08 10:57:02PM
Yeah, I was gonna say why not just call it "submission wrestling"

Seems to me this "new breed" of hybrid wrestlers/bjj dudes are mostly from american freestyle collegiate wrestling backgrounds anyway.
Omega
8/28/08 1:06:00PM

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah, I was gonna say why not just call it "submission wrestling"

Seems to me this "new breed" of hybrid wrestlers/bjj dudes are mostly from american freestyle collegiate wrestling backgrounds anyway.

I was at the OTM open grappling tournament and all I heard was "Get ready Jiu Jitsu Warriors" over and over. It's quite annoying.
The_Notorious_ZIG
9/3/08 1:45:41PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i think JJ and most other submission arts have been rolled up into what i call submission grappling because everyone is hybrid now-a-days. it is difficult to say someone is just a JJ fighter because other elements have been absorbed into JJ to make it more of a submission grappling style.

I agree and like the term submission grappling the best. The style I train uses techniques from traditional or japanese jiu jitsu, judo, russian sambo as well as wrestling. None of these have its origins in the United States.
The thing I hate most is when people refer to anything on the ground that looks like jiu jitsu as BJJ
The-Don
9/3/08 8:54:32PM

Posted by The_Notorious_ZIG

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

I agree and like the term submission grappling the best. The style I train uses techniques from traditional or japanese jiu jitsu, judo, russian sambo as well as wrestling. None of these have its origins in the United States.
The thing I hate most is when people refer to anything on the ground that looks like jiu jitsu as BJJ

yea as stated in other posts.. when did it all suddenly become BJJ? and true with people taking stuff from all over I do kinda like the term Submisison grappling. In fact I am working on trying to get a class together where I work tehre are several others I work with who have studied various styles so it would be a great way to get together and trade skills and get better..