Is The American Idol Humiliation Too Much?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Is The American Idol Humiliation Too Much?
gsquat
11/12/08 5:41:40PM
Just read this on MSN. If you've ever watched it, you know how humiliating it can be if you don;t do well. They don't just tell you "no". They laugh, make embarassing comparisons, and intentionally degrade you. It makes for a good laugh, but at whose expense?

Link
casey64
11/12/08 5:45:30PM
Simon can be harsh. but sometimes he is hilarious, I only watch the first of it were the dumbass's try to make it through.
higdon10
11/12/08 5:50:20PM

Posted by casey64
I only watch the first of it were the dumbass's try to make it through.

Same here. Its easily the best part.
casey64
11/12/08 5:51:19PM
Red-Dragon
11/12/08 5:57:26PM
Simon is harsh but to the point. Some of these plebs need to know that so they can get on with their life and do something other than singing.
RampageOwnedYou
11/12/08 6:09:52PM
yeah I think they go through so many auditions, they need to start having fun. With the money they make, im sure they could give two craps.....I mean your making 5 million a season, they dont care if they crush some kids heart, as long it isn't their kid.

I remember this girl. and here is her audition.
I think Simon went overboard, and im sure he is feeling like crap, after he watches this again. Well knowing how self centered he is, i doubt he even knows she died.
Poor girl. RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M6dQbvThB4
Darnok
11/12/08 6:48:13PM
I hate reality shows! I usually fat forward TUF until the fight at the end.
Ordep
11/12/08 7:43:47PM
that's the only thing I've seen from American Idol and only in Youtube. I don't really care much, most of the "participants" just go there to get on camera or because "mommy and daddy told me I sing ok" bahh, if you don't want to get flamed because lack of talent then don't show up.
emfleek
11/13/08 11:44:50AM
American Idol is too much, period.
Ben_Hutch
11/13/08 2:52:24PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

I think Simon went overboard, and im sure he is feeling like crap, after he watches this again. Well knowing how self centered he is, i doubt he even knows she died.
Poor girl. RIP

Of course Simon knows she died, what Simon said wasn't even that bad! I've had things 100 times worse said to me and just laughed it off, sh*t happens, live with it.

If the public didn't want to see Simon act harshly then they wouldn't tune in to watch his shows, he's honest, to the point and yes, sometimes pretty harsh, but only because it sells and it's what people want to see.

That's all there is to it.
gsquat
11/13/08 5:45:41PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Poor girl. RIP

Of course Simon knows she died, what Simon said wasn't even that bad! I've had things 100 times worse said to me and just laughed it off, sh*t happens, live with it.

If the public didn't want to see Simon act harshly then they wouldn't tune in to watch his shows, he's honest, to the point and yes, sometimes pretty harsh, but only because it sells and it's what people want to see.

What you're doing is quite annoying. You know what you're doing and so does everyone else. Knock it off.
Ben_Hutch
11/13/08 6:23:26PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Poor girl. RIP

What you're doing is quite annoying. You know what you're doing and so does everyone else. Knock it off.

Got no idea what you're on about but whatever you say buddy
shiz-nitzel
11/13/08 6:29:25PM
It's inconsequential whether she died or not, she was God awful. sometimes I fart and it sounds better and people enjoy it more than her performance.

If simon wasn't harsh he wouldnt have a TV Program and be very wealthy, plus some people are born pricks.
gsquat
11/14/08 9:56:46AM
You must know what I'm talking about Ben. Your constant defense of any and everything British. Its rediculous.
Ben_Hutch
11/14/08 12:25:20PM

Posted by gsquat

You must know what I'm talking about Ben. Your constant defense of any and everything British. Its rediculous.

What? So Simon is harsh because he wants to be rather than the fact that it makes a lot of money and it's what the public want to see?
Rush
11/14/08 12:50:17PM
The judging panel aside, there are two types of people that bomb in Amer. Idol. and a third type that is inbetween.

1) There are the ones that know they can't sing, but want to get their 15 sec. of fame. 2) There are the ones that truly believe that they can sing.

The first lot, I have no sympathy for. They are usually the ones that start mouthing off the to the judges. I am happy they are made fun of. The sad part is that most of them are too stupid to realize that they joke is really on them.

The second lot need to have a taste of reality. A few hours or days of heartbreak is better than devoting years to something that will never work for you. Dreaming is great, but you have to be realistic to be successful. Relationships are synonymous with this philosophy I think.

There is another lot (in between) where the people are ok singers, but not elite. However, they have been conditioned to believe they are elite. I've known a few entertainers over the years one thing that I have noticed is they spend a lot of time patting each other on the back. "you are so pretty" "you are a great singer" "you are a great actor" .... you get the idea, when in reality, they are not. I think these are the group that could be hurt the most by the show. For one, they can be made to look incompetent. In reality, they may not be good enough to be a pro, but are just fine as a singing or music teacher. However, negative exposure will not bode well for their career. I think this is just like the fighter-trainer connection. A fighter that did not do well as a pro might lose a lot of potential business because they are perceived to be a crappy fighter, but they may actually be a great teacher.