Amature Events. Where are they?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Amature Events. Where are they?
The-Don
12/11/07 6:36:49PM
OK I am training some people who want to get into competitions. We are in the Nashville TN area. Other then Memphis TN, Where can one look to find some of the smaller amature promotions so I can get these guys some in ring experience. There is only so much one can learn in the gym.
Svartorm
12/11/07 7:08:16PM
The laws and whatnot that govern amateur MMA are kind of sketchy, in that in some states if a fighter is paid, or a person pays to see a show, it becomes a "pro" event, and if you don't follow the states rules for professional sporting events, you're now running an illegal fight.

Honestly, if you're looking for a way to get your boys ring experience, put on your own show and invite another local school to send some fighters. Let them fight for free, let them bring their friends and family, and you have a totally legal way to get your boys some ring experience.
The-Don
12/11/07 7:16:53PM

Posted by Svartorm

The laws and whatnot that govern amateur MMA are kind of sketchy, in that in some states if a fighter is paid, or a person pays to see a show, it becomes a "pro" event, and if you don't follow the states rules for professional sporting events, you're now running an illegal fight.

Honestly, if you're looking for a way to get your boys ring experience, put on your own show and invite another local school to send some fighters. Let them fight for free, let them bring their friends and family, and you have a totally legal way to get your boys some ring experience.

ok good to know. I do not have my school offically open yet. RIght now I actually have 3 fighters total. 2 with expereince one just starting out. hence I did not list him. I got roughly 20 years Martial arts experience over several different styles.

SO back to your advice. I should contact the State athletic commision on this or is it like a county by county basis?
Svartorm
12/11/07 7:21:15PM
Thats if you're trying to put on a professional bout, which means fighters get paid, and people pay to see it. If fighters don't get paid, people don't pay to see it, and no betting or alcohol is allowed, its generally legal, although you might want to make sure thats the case in your state.

If you've only got two fighters, you might want to ask other schools if they'd be willing to have an event. Its pretty common to have schools host amatuer bouts between each other in their own gyms, so you might be able to get your guys in elsewhere.
tlangley
12/14/07 12:41:39AM
Where are you from? I from Marshall, Texas and we've had 2 mma events here recently, by battlecage360 i think
ncordless
12/14/07 6:08:26PM
The Tennessee code does not have any mention of mixed martial arts whatsoever. Here is a link to a bill to set up a committee on mixed martial arts, in which it is compared to boxing.house bill

Here is the tennessee code regarding amateur boxing:

68-115-101. Registration requirements — “Amateur boxing match” defined. —

(a) An amateur may not take part in a boxing contest, unless the amateur is registered with the United States Amateur Boxing Federation or some other amateur organization recognized by the commissioner. The promoting, conducting, or maintaining of boxing matches, contests, or exhibitions when conducted by educational institutions, extracurricular organizations recognized by a college or university, such as a fraternity, sorority or student union, law enforcement organizations, Tennessee National Guard units, or amateur athletic organizations duly recognized by the commissioner are exempt from the licensing and bonding provisions of this chapter, if none of the participants in the contests or exhibitions receives a money remuneration, purse, or prize for performance or service in the contest.

(b) For the purposes of this chapter, an “amateur boxing match or exhibition” means an organized match or exhibition where no prize or purse whatsoever is offered to the participants, other than a small token, such as a medal, trophy, or item of clothing, representing a symbol of participation or of one's performance. Elimination-style matches or exhibitions featuring an invitation to fight in later matches or exhibitions that offer remuneration to the winner or winners of the later matches or exhibitions constitute professional matches or exhibitions.

[Acts 1909, ch. 155, § 2; Shan., § 6674a1; Code 1932, § 11040; modified; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), §§ 66-301 53-6801, 68-50-101; Acts 1997, ch. 225, § 1; 2003, ch. 179, § 1.]

Sounds to me that as the law stands now, You'd have to find one of the listed institutions to organize it or get yourself or one of the other gyms recofnized by the comissioner of boxing in Tennessee.

Hope this helps.