Deserves next title shot 2% (1)
Deserves contender fight 63% (38)
Needs two more fights 33% (20)
Far behind for contention 0% (0)
Not on the top 20 2% (1)
In Don Kings little black book 0% (0)
Pitbull09
4/3/08 4:23:24PM
So to me right now, Alves should be just behide Fitch for a title shot.

In order of whos in line its
Matt Serra (Champion)
GSP (Obviously scheduled)
Jon Fitch (8 straight wins now I believe?)
Thiago Alves (5 straight wins and beat a guy who was considered behind or with Fitch for title contention)

Id say maybe if Koscheck beats Lytle he will be in the mix and maybe Alves will have to fight him.

(Also note that I see Matt Hughes retiring soon and not going for many more fights especially if GSP wins. Maybe one more with Serra)
imanidiot777
4/3/08 4:26:47PM
Yeah Fitch next for sure, I could deal with Koscheck vs. Alves for the following win I like that. Props for you.
Twenty20Dollars
4/3/08 4:31:12PM
well considering koscheck vs lytle is rumored, that might not happened.

But if it was kos vs alves, it'd be a decision lay n prey for kos, he wouldnt be able to stand up with alves.

he can sit and wait or take an unknown like fitch or fight another contender.
owen1
4/3/08 4:32:19PM
Id like to see Alves fight Marcus Davis if he can get past Swick first.
Pitbull09
4/3/08 4:35:52PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

well considering koscheck vs lytle is rumored, that might not happened.

But if it was kos vs alves, it'd be a decision lay n prey for kos, he wouldnt be able to stand up with alves.

he can sit and wait or take an unknown like fitch or fight another contender.

Im not saying Kos vs Lytle isnt happening. If Kos wins (which i expect), I see him and Alves going and by then it prob will be in time to call it a contender fight.
JWils
4/3/08 5:16:46PM
I agree with Owen1,

I would like to see Alves face the winner of the Swick/Davis fight for a possible shot at the title on the line.

Alves versus either of these guys would be a kick ass fight.

My second choice would be Alves vs. Sanchez. That fight would be sick to.
bls1919
4/3/08 5:25:04PM
This guy comes to kill you. I love the way he fights. That knee was huge. I would really like to see him fight Marcus Davis if he wins his fight with Swick. Or maybe a fight with KOS. Thiago is a very exciting fighter, and has earnd a shot to be #1 contender IMO
Twenty20Dollars
4/3/08 5:25:26PM
yeah im just saying, the fight may not happen cus kos might lose and if he wins, alves might have already be in for a different fight.

personally i dont want to see kos vs alves, i'd rather see him face davis if he gets past swick or see him face swick.
whardin19
4/3/08 6:01:14PM
To me Alves still isn't top 5 in the WW division in the UFC. Top 10 yes. I would love to see Alves fight Diego. After seeing Diego in his last fight he looks like the Diego of old and needs to step back up in competition so give him Alves, because to me some of you guys are overrating Alves.
WhiteWidow
4/3/08 6:16:19PM
i dont see why you put all those choices in the poll, kinda dumb seeing as how hes in the 6 or 7 spot now, if he were to beat another top contender no doubt hes in title contention, thats a no brainer

anyway, was anyone else very impressed by thiago's ability to neutralize karo's judo and strength, thiago went in saying he was stronger and for the most part he was right all that training ferguson helped him tenfold, the first round he was just playing it out seeing what karo had then was more aggressive and stepped it up in round 2, but the real story wasnt the KO it was how good thiago looked against a guy people thought was #1 contender and nulified most of what karo had to offer on the ground and feet, thiago was picking him apart on the feet and it was just a matter of time before karo was going down, even tho lots of ppl are complaining that karo was stopped early, come on flailing your arms around and covering up isnt a sign that your okay, most of the ppl who say that are just mad one of there favorites crashed and burned and wont be seeing a title shot by getting mad at the ref's for "not letting it go longer" at what point was karo defending himself? after he was kneed in the face or crashing to the canvas not protecting himself? damn some of you just dont care about fighter safety and i'd like to see some of you do better, best refs in the world, better than the japanese refs anyday
prozacnation1978
4/3/08 6:51:05PM
for sure now gsp will fight fitch next in sept or later but i see alves and davis not far behind kos is in the mix as well. i would love to see a gsp vs fitch and co main event serra vs hughes
gartface
4/3/08 7:31:10PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

for sure now gsp will fight fitch next in sept or later but i see alves and davis not far behind kos is in the mix as well. i would love to see a gsp vs fitch and co main event serra vs hughes

Funny to see that fans are still chalking up GSP for an automatic win.
jiujitsufreak74
4/3/08 8:28:08PM

Posted by owen1

i have been saying this for a while. i would love to see these two rematch in an exciting fast-paced fight. however, admittedly, Marcus is not even close to where Alves is in terms of title contention. if Marcus defeats Swick then he is still 2 fights away from legitimate contention. i would like to see Kos vs Alves first to determine the contender after Fitch or even have Fitch face Alves but there isn't enough time for that so i guess the first option i mentioned is the way to go.
SociopathX
4/3/08 8:57:03PM
Fitch's last fight was a bit disappointing. I think Alves would put up a better fight than Fitch vs GSP.
sonicsmokesweed
4/4/08 12:58:26AM
i think Alves Should fight Koscheck for the number one contender? lol lets see if Koshceck will try to stand with Alves like he did with his last 2 opponents. Alves wins RD. 1 K.O and goes to try and fight St. Pierre for da title, after Pierre smashes Serra n Fitch and throws em back to the rankings. Alves has the best chance of beating Pierre IMO
WhiteWidow
4/4/08 1:08:26AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by owen1

i have been saying this for a while. i would love to see these two rematch in an exciting fast-paced fight. however, admittedly, Marcus is not even close to where Alves is in terms of title contention. if Marcus defeats Swick then he is still 2 fights away from legitimate contention. i would like to see Kos vs Alves first to determine the contender after Fitch or even have Fitch face Alves but there isn't enough time for that so i guess the first option i mentioned is the way to go.

i made a Alves vs Davis 2 thread in the Lounge if you havnt seen it yet
NatedawgThaM
4/4/08 1:52:06AM
He needs two more fights. Hironaka and Lytle aren't top 10 IMO. He still needs two more big fights, especially since he got submitted by Lightweight Spencer Fisher and Fitch already stopped him easily. He was very lucky to even get this fight, since he was suppose to be a warm up for Karo for his title shot that Karo said he had after he beat Alves since he said he could wait and still have it.

I think he is behind, in order...GSP, Fitch, Hughes, Kos, and Diego. Who all have multiple top 10 wins and there losses are mostly to each other.

I say he fights the winner of Swick/Davis, and the winner of that fight can fight the winner of Lugi/Diego.
hippysmacker
4/4/08 3:42:45AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

He needs two more fights. Hironaka and Lytle aren't top 10 IMO. He still needs two more big fights, especially since he got submitted by Lightweight Spencer Fisher and Fitch already stopped him easily. He was very lucky to even get this fight, since he was suppose to be a warm up for Karo for his title shot that Karo said he had after he beat Alves since he said he could wait and still have it.

I think he is behind, in order...GSP, Fitch, Hughes, Kos, and Diego. Who all have multiple top 10 wins and there losses are mostly to each other.

I say he fights the winner of Swick/Davis, and the winner of that fight can fight the winner of Lugi/Diego.

Well said, and I agree. One other thing, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Kos, as a alternative to Sanchez or the Davis/Swick winner.
skinnator
4/4/08 8:05:58AM
If Karo had one, he would maybe faced Sanchez before Fitch but Alves has Fitch. If he wins he will go againts Serra.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/4/08 10:35:35AM
whoever said he should fight Marcus Davis is SO ON its not even funny. they should fight on the undercard of Fitch vs GSP/Serra
jae_1833
4/5/08 3:46:35PM
I'd say Alves next fight should be for a contender spot...so give him either the winner of Davis Swick or who ever else the UFC is thinking should be in contention. I know this if Fitch doesn't get to fight the winner of GSP v Serra than I am calling shenanigans!! He has deserved it. On that not what about a Thiago v Hughes match....see if Thiago is really ready for the ground game that is coming from all the higher echelon WWs!!
tylerlee123
4/6/08 2:09:31PM
Alves - Davis would be a very entertaining fight with a big impact on the rankings